autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newb question for the legends about #7 and paste wax

Hey Mike,

I almost feel bad taking up your valuable time with such beginner questions, but here we go.

I am in the slow process of restoring my 1980 302 Windsor v8 Ford F-150 two tone. As well as I frequently detail my Mums meteor gray Mazda 3 (surprisingly nice color).

To make a long story short I didn’t cover my truck when I had to leave for an extended period and in Vancouver BC weather it got slayed.

Once I repaint it and get new trim etc, it’ll be parked outside (may cover it, probably will) it’ll be a pleasure weekend driver (I work in film so 75-80 hour work weeks might take it to work on nice days) what would you suggest coating it with as far as to protect the paint and shine as well, I don’t mind having to constantly baby it.

As far as my mums car goes, it’s in good shape but I was considering doing that trick you do with single stage with the #7s, but unsure if that would be beneficial for clear coated vehicles?

Also finally, in Canada paste waxes are more expensive and #26 paste is very hard to find but I have a source. I’m wondering what you go to when you want an extremely glossy wax finish.

I trust your opinions so I’d love to hear your favourite waxes.

Anyways hopefully this isn’t too much info I have the curse of talking too much. Thanks for your time and I love reading all your stuff.

Mike Phillips

Re: Newb question for the legends about #7 and paste wax

First....

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Second - Hope you don't mind but I edited your post and broke the huge single chunk of text into smaller sections to make it easier for me and everyone else to read and digest. I have an article on this topic here.

Quote Originally Posted by Robscoe View Post

Hey Mike,

I almost feel bad taking up your valuable time with such beginner questions, but here we go.

I am in the slow process of restoring my 1980 302 Windsor v8 Ford F-150 two tone. As well as I frequently detail my Mums meteor gray Mazda 3 (surprisingly nice color).

To make a long story short I didn’t cover my truck when I had to leave for an extended period and in Vancouver BC weather it got slayed.

Once I repaint it and get new trim etc, it’ll be parked outside (may cover it, probably will) it’ll be a pleasure weekend driver (I work in film so 75-80 hour work weeks might take it to work on nice days) what would you suggest coating it with as far as to protect the paint and shine as well, I don’t mind having to constantly baby it.
    When you say "coat" I'm assuming you mean a "ceramic paint coating"?

Or do you mean coat as in apply a coat of wax?

As far as my mums car goes, it’s in good shape but I was considering doing that trick you do with single stage with the #7s, but unsure if that would be beneficial for clear coated vehicles?
    Applying #7 to a clearcoat finish won't hurt anything but it probably won't help anything. If the paint is neglected, then do the normal,

Wash
    Clay
    Polish
    Seal

and skip the #7 treatment.

For those reading this into the future,

All Mike Phillips #7 Show Car Glaze Articles in one place

Also finally, in Canada paste waxes are more expensive and #26 paste is very hard to find but I have a source. I’m wondering what you go to when you want an extremely glossy wax finish.
    Gloss is created by making the surface smooth, this has more to do with claying and polishing than any wax.

But if you do the claying step and a good machine polishing step then "yes" wax will take the results to a higher level.

Hard to beat M26 in either liquid or paste - especially for the price, either here in the U.S. or Canada. It's a quality product that's been around since the 1970s. Formula updated of course.

I trust your opinions so I’d love to hear your favorite waxes.
    I'm a huge fan of cleaner/waxes or AIOs. they clean, or compound, polish and seal the paint surface. They are the lazy man's way to detail a car. If you read enough of my car detailing write-ups you see I use them when I can.

My favoirte right now is the new Z1 by Dr. Beasley's because instead of using "wax" or "sealant" for protection it uses "coating".

See my review from just last week here,

Review: Dr. Beasley's NSP Z1 - One Step Primer & Nanocoating with Ti02 & Si02 + Composite Engineered Abrasives

Anyways hopefully this isn’t too much info I have the curse of talking too much. Thanks for your time and I love reading all your stuff.

I'm just thankful you joined the forum and asked me questions here. This is where I MUCH prefer to invest my typing time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the reply! In typical Mike Phillips fashion not only is your response very helpful to my question, it also showed me how to best word my questions, as well as the aesthetic of them to make them more palatable. Example being the coating, I meant any coating, but of course I could see why you might think ceramic.

I also always do the proper prep, IE wipe down, wash, clay, polish etc. I should’ve specified. I was just looking for that beautiful finish a nice wax can provide. I like working by hand but I think I’m going to invest in a polisher for the fact it’s amazing at removing defects.

I’m new to the detailing world so I assumed cleaner waxes wouldn’t provide the same brilliant finish but after reading your posts I’ve kind of rethought that stance.

As far as my truck goes I just want it to look beautiful but be protected as well! I’ll definitely look into what you suggested. My grandfather gifted me that truck and I have many memories and photos of myself on it as a child, (I’m now 29) he always swore by meguiars paste wax (he instilled the old school paste love in me) as he owned a body shop for 50 years, and never once had a complaint. I wish i got into this detailing stuff while he was alive as he would’ve had so much to teach me. I’m a meguiars fan also so it’s great to hear that it’s as good as I thought it was.

Thanks again Mike I look forward to the process of learning and will make a point to take a before and after of my pickup and show you the results, much of which will likely have come from knowledge learned from you.

Newb question for the legends about #7 and paste wax-af95648f-8127-4350-8103-9fa4881e6ebb-jpg

Mike Phillips

Thanks so much for the reply! In typical Mike Phillips fashion not only is your response very helpful to my question, it also showed me how to best word my questions, as well as the aesthetic of them to make them more palatable. Example being the coating, I meant any coating, but of course I could see why you might think ceramic.
    And thank you for taking my input as it was meant - only positive in an effort to help now and into the future.

I also always do the proper prep, IE wipe down, wash, clay, polish etc. I should’ve specified. I was just looking for that beautiful finish a nice wax can provide. I like working by hand but I think I’m going to invest in a polisher for the fact it’s amazing at removing defects.
    I type this all the time and here goes again, when someone talks about always working by hand and is looking into working by machine, AFTER they make the decision and then make the jump to buying a machine, the NEVER regret it.

Stay tuned to this week's LIVE Detailing Class. It's all about HOW TO work by hand and then we'll compare and contrast to working by machine.

I’m new to the detailing world so I assumed cleaner waxes wouldn’t provide the same brilliant finish but after reading your posts I’ve kind of rethought that stance.
    They "can" but it depends on a few things but in the BIG PICTURE? You bet. BUT - it starts with using products that use great abrasive technology.

As far as my truck goes I just want it to look beautiful but be protected as well! I’ll definitely look into what you suggested.
    How far down the road are you from getting it re-painted?

Until that time - I'd suggest getting a SIMPLE polisher like the Porter Cable 7424XP, some simple foam pads like the Lake Country 5.5" Orange ThinPro pads, you'll need a 5" backing plate for the Porter Cable also referred to as a PC.

Then get a quart bottle of the BLACKFIRE One Step and after washing and claying your truck - go to town on it. That old paint will come back to life and you'll wonder why you didn't get into machine polishing years ago.

My grandfather gifted me that truck and I have many memories and photos of myself on it as a child, (I’m now 29) he always swore by meguiars paste wax (he instilled the old school paste love in me) as he owned a body shop for 50 years, and never once had a complaint.
    That's a great story. Is this you?

Cool old truck. I like the classics.

I appreciate modern technology but my next truck will be OLD.

I wish i got into this detailing stuff while he was alive as he would’ve had so much to teach me. I’m a meguiars fan also so it’s great to hear that it’s as good as I thought it was.

Thanks again Mike I look forward to the process of learning and will make a point to take a before and after of my pickup and show you the results, much of which will likely have come from knowledge learned from you.
    Here's a thread from another recent new member, look what he did to his neglected car.

Looks like its past the point of no return or just severely oxidized? Can it be fixed?

Before

After

5. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the delay! I work about 80-90 hours a week in the film industry up here in Vancouver BC. Worked 10 days straight! I’ve ordered the polished you recommended and look forward to it arriving, I will still continue to work by hand when it makes sense (IE when corrective measures aren’t needed, and when I have the time to go slow and really put the elbow into it)

I came across an issue while inspecting my truck, I can attach pictures, but there are little tiny rust holes along the tail gate, as well as some on the front right fender, and one in the box if my truck. I’ve treated the rest of the paint for rust and removed it, but I’m hesitant now as the one in the box will become a complete hole when rust treated. I’m very nervous now and was told to be prepared for the fact the inside of the body may have rust that I can’t see.

That photograph is of me at about 4-5 years old in 1995-1996 in front of my grandparents original home in Coquitlam, British Columbia. One of many I have with that truck and a reminder as to why it’s worth any work/cost to bring my truck to where it should be. I totally agree with the comment about older trucks, I love how easy they are to learn on and work on, lots of engine space! I do like my Audi’s and the new diesels impress me but nothing like the carb smell and feel. Any ideas what sort of truck you’d purchase? I’m extremely partial to the early 70s highboys and especially the two tone 77-79 f-150 to 350 models, to me there’s nothing more beautiful than a nicely painted 78 F-250 single cab.

The video was super helpful thank you, I have one more question for you, what would be your combo choice for the best shine as far as meguiars (or any brand I’m open to suggestion) goes (eg. m101 & m210 + wax) i should state in this case I need a strong corrective compound.

Thanks again for your time.

Ps just realized I should start putting the quote button into use as far as responses go, will start next time hehe.

Robbie McKane