autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coating advice on Parnelli Jones Saleen Mustang Matte Finish Decals

Hi Mike,
    I am going to ceramic coat my 2007 Parnelli Jones Saleen Mustang. It has matte finish decals on the hood, trunk lid and sides. I'd like to coat the entire car including these matte surfaces. I am concerned that if I coat these they will become glossy and loose their matte finish look which I DO NOT want. Does the coating change the sheen at all? Can you provide feedback and advice on how to handle these surfaces. Im looking to use Gtechnique CSL / EVOv4.

Thanks
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ceramic Coating advice on Parnelli Jones Saleen  Mustang Matte Finish Decals-img_5096-jpg   Ceramic Coating advice on Parnelli Jones Saleen  Mustang Matte Finish Decals-img_5095-jpg   Ceramic Coating advice on Parnelli Jones Saleen  Mustang Matte Finish Decals-img_5094-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating advice on Parnelli Jones Saleen Mustang Matte Finish Decals

Geez...can we see the whole thing? That is one very very nice looking Mustang!

And I also have the same questions re coating matte decals.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Coating matte decals does not make them shiny. It gives them a deep rich black.
    Coated these Raptor decals
    Ceramic Coating advice on Parnelli Jones Saleen  Mustang Matte Finish Decals-screenshot_20200726-193105_gallery-jpg
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coating advice on Parnelli Jones Saleen Mustang Matte Finish Decals

You will be fine to coat them. Gtechniq recommends C1 but CSL will work just fine according to them as well. It will make them richer in appearance. You may get a hint of sheen but nothing to take a way from the look.

I forgot to mention that Cquartz Skin is great. Used it plenty of times including on matte vinyls. You will find my review on it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.. I really love this car and its original look.. but I really want the cermainc coating protection. It will be the 3rd car I have done with this product and it comes out great!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ceramic Coating advice on Parnelli Jones Saleen  Mustang Matte Finish Decals-img_1511-2-jpg  

6. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Likes Dereksdtail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you feel the need, Dr Beasley's makes a matte specific coating that I believe AutoGeek sells. Give it a try and let us know your thoughts!!

8. Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the picture...!

Just beautiful!!!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Mike Phillips

Nice,

Like others have said, I have not seen a ceramic paint coating make a matte vinyl graphic or even matte paint look glossy.

BUT - I have not tired all paint coatings on the market on matte paint or graphics - so it's possible.

When we applied the 3D Ceramic Coating to polished gelcoat - I stated that it LOOKED like we applied clear paint - it amped up the gloss and CLARITY that much.

So if in doubt - test to an inconspicuous area first and let a day go by then inspect. There's a LOT of very different chemistry out there - no way for me or anyone to make blanket-statements about any product and the results it will produce on matte surfaces. Testing is in order.

See video class #20 here,

Complete List of Live Broadcast Videos on YouTube - Yancy Martinez & Mike Phillips

And full write-up here,

Review: 3D Ceramic Coating on a Marine Gelcoat Boat

Here's the Port side of the Pilot House

Because the walls are flatter than the side of the boat hull it was easier to capture the hologram scratches from the rotary work done previously.

AFTER

I don't think the 3D ceramic paint coating would alter that MATTE appearance of the graphics on your Stang but I would also test first.

As for the product you listed and asked about - pretty sure you're safe to apply to matte surfaces without problems.

Mike Phillips

We did an extreme makeover to an ORIGINAL paint Mach 1 - kind of like you Stang.....

1970 Mustang Mach 1 - Video and Pictures

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. Are the mat decals on this Boss ceramic coated ? Beautiful car!! I’d love to have it for a brother to my PJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast