autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand polishing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hand polishing

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'm sure I have an article on this somewhere but can't think of the title?

Here's the deal, (I type this out all the time every year),

It takes MORE skill to work on clearcoat paint by hand than it does by machine. And in this context I mean an orbital polisher - not a rotary buffer.

I could fix this scoured mess by hand. I make a video next week and how you how to do it.

It will be faster and easier and also safer to somehow get an orbital polisher, a foam buffing pad and some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound - available just about anywhere and buff the area.

Word.

How and where do I find this video? And am I right saying these are scratches left by a more agressive compound?

I am just hoping it needs some finishing polish Hand polishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Edvinac View Post

How and where do I find this video?

I'll need to create the video and I won't be able to get to it until next week.

And "yes" there really are no other videos you can find that show the correct way to hand apply a compound to remove swirls and scratches out of clearcoat paint.

Probably what I'll do is machine sand a black demo hood with #2000 grit sand paper and then show how to remove the sanding marks by hand. Apologies I cannot get to it today or tomorrow - just have other things to get done.

If you want to try get some ScratchX or Ultimate Polish (kind of the same thing, they are LIGHT POLISHES). You're also going to need some Ultimate Compound. Also get a quality microfiber applicator pad and also a foam applicator pad. You can find these things at most auto parts stores.

Then work the area with the Ultimate Compound and the microfiber pad and some FIRM downward pressure. I would use a straight line motion for the initial applications simply because it's easier on you to rub hard in back and forth motions versus circle motion.

After work the area with the the compound and the microfiber applicator pad and you're happy with how the paint looks. Then switch over to either ScratchX or Ultimate Polish and now use the foam applicator and repeat. I'd probably work the are pretty hard for the first application to improve the results of the compounding and then start reducing your hand pressure and polish more lightly.

Polishing paint is an art form - not a grinding process -Mike Phillips

The microfiber has more BITE than foam - that's why you start with it. The foam is less agressive than the microfiber that's why you finish with it.

Then slap some wax on the trunk lid, stick a fork in it and call it done. Moving forward, be a little more cautious with what products you choose to rub over scratch sensitive clear coats.l

If you tackle this - let us know how it goes and good luck.

It takes a LOT more skill to work on car paint by hand than it does with a modern orbital polisher.

3. Likes Edvinac liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll need to create the video and I won't be able to get to it until next week.

And "yes" there really are no other videos you can find that show the correct way to hand apply a compound to remove swirls and scratches out of clearcoat paint.

Probably what I'll do is machine sand a black demo hood with #2000 grit sand paper and then show how to remove the sanding marks by hand. Apologies I cannot get to it today or tomorrow - just have other things to get done.

If you want to try get some ScratchX or Ultimate Polish (kind of the same thing, they are LIGHT POLISHES). You're also going to need some Ultimate Compound. Also get a quality microfiber applicator pad and also a foam applicator pad. You can find these things at most auto parts stores.

Then work the area with the Ultimate Compound and the microfiber pad and some FIRM downward pressure. I would use a straight line motion for the initial applications simply because it's easier on you to rub hard in back and forth motions versus circle motion.

After work the area with the the compound and the microfiber applicator pad and you're happy with how the paint looks. Then switch over to either ScratchX or Ultimate Polish and now use the foam applicator and repeat. I'd probably work the are pretty hard for the first application to improve the results of the compounding and then start reducing your hand pressure and polish more lightly.

Polishing paint is an art form - not a grinding process -Mike Phillips

The microfiber has more BITE than foam - that's why you start with it. The foam is less agressive than the microfiber that's why you finish with it.

Then slap some wax on the trunk lid, stick a fork in it and call it done. Moving forward, be a little more cautious with what products you choose to rub over scratch sensitive clear coats.l

If you tackle this - let us know how it goes and good luck.

It takes a LOT more skill to work on car paint by hand than it does with a modern orbital polisher.

I am really gratefull to have people like you.

You don’t hesitate to explain everything. I deeply respect your knowledge sharing skills.

From my understanding ultimate polish should fix this? No need for compounding? (i am assuming I’m already pass this stage after the marks MY polish left).

Also I am guessing products you’re talking about are meguiars Some questions about the products themself:

Does ultimate compound and ultimate polish have any silicones in them to hide scratches?

Diffrences between swirlx and ultimate polish?

Mike Phillips

From my understanding ultimate polish should fix this? No need for compounding? (i am assuming I’m already pass this stage after the marks MY polish left).
    Maybe UP would work. You can try. If it's not working fast enough to level the surface and thus remove the scouring, then you could try UC. UC = Ultimate Compound.

The thing is - UC and UP both use SMAT - Super Micro Abrasive Technology - they will both feel like Jergans Hand Lotion. Very safe. The UC would work faster with lest talent.

Also I am guessing products you’re talking about are meguiars
    Yes. I know a little bit about the M-Line. The red car on UC was from one of my Thursday Night classes when I worked for Meguiar's in Irvine, the black car was a BMW I did a half-n-half for the 2002 Bimmerfest.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound History

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and SwirlX

Some questions about the products themself:

Does ultimate compound and ultimate polish have any silicones in them to hide scratches?
    Don't know but don't think so. Wouldn't be a concern to me. If properly worked they would remove the defects not mask them.

Diffrences between swirlx and ultimate polish?
    Probably the main change was switching to the "ultimate" branding while dropping the "X" branding. Swirlx and I think ColorX are both gone now.

If you're not in a hurry - I'll make a video next week showing how to do this - heck maybe Yancy and I can make this our Thursday LIVE Detailing Class.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well to update I’ve ordered UC, UP, microf applicator, soft foam applicator and clay. Just don’t have them yet, I will update when I tackle the job.

Found some videos on youtube guiding how to use these products and always mentioning its really good in hand polishing compared to traditional pastes. We will see Hand polishing

Thanks for the answers, where can I catch you live or watch the recording?

Mike Phillips

Thanks for the answers,
    Did my best to share how to work by hand using a keyboard.

where can I catch you live or watch the recording?

I know it's hard to know where all the vast amounts of information are located on this forum or on any of our other social media touch points but normally when I have anything coming up it's on the bottom of the forum homepage

Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum

Or you'll find an update on my FB page

Mike Phillips - Home | Facebook

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did my best to share how to work by hand using a keyboard.

I know it's hard to know where all the vast amounts of information are located on this forum or on any of our other social media touch points but normally when I have anything coming up it's on the bottom of the forum homepage

Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum

Or you'll find an update on my FB page

Mike Phillips - Home | Facebook

Followed on facebook Hand polishing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE

So I used Clay+Ultimate compound+Ultimate polish+ADBL synthetic wax.

The products did exactly what I wanted them to do. Ofcourse there are some deep scratches left, but that’s to be expected.

Thanks for consulting, have a nice day!

10. Likes PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job.

Mike Phillips

Here's the LIVE Detailing Class video we made where I show how to correctly work a COMPOUND by hand to remove paint and thus level the paint surface.

LIVE Detailing Class - How to compound and polish by HAND

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12