autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mike Phillips

Re: Is this clear cost burn through?

Here's pic

IF buffing ON the area makes ZERO difference - then the visual defect must be under the clear.

At least that's my guess. Don't sound right BUT if you abrade the surface and there's no effect then the defect, whatever it is runs THROUGHOUT the layer of paint or is under the layer of paint.

Topical Defects vs Sub-Surface Defects - Living life on the edge of the razor blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMiglio View Post
    Man that’s just so strange, good to see you’ve got some thick paint though!

Being you bought it new, possibly a defect from the factory?

Only other thing, big shot in the dark here, possibly a light reflection off the chrome window trim shining onto the paint? At this point I’m all out of ideas :/

Keep us updated!
    I think you may have hit it on the head,,looking at my PC and not my small phone I can see it,,it even curvers where the chrome molding does,,I have chased phantom marks before ,,I even made a meme once after I did it,,lol

Is this clear cost burn through?-3n0xdd-jpg
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's pic

IF buffing ON the area makes ZERO difference - then the visual defect must be under the clear.

At least that's my guess. Don't sound right BUT if you abrade the surface and there's no effect then the defect, whatever it is runs THROUGHOUT the layer of paint or is under the layer of paint.

Topical Defects vs Sub-Surface Defects - Living life on the edge of the razor blade

I agree 100% the fact that in bright sunlight I canÂ’t see the mark and in the shade I canÂ’t see the mark. I can only see the mark in very certain light and the fact that nothing happens when I polish and compound it means that itÂ’s under the light.

Post Thanks / Like

In regards to the question if it's reflection off the chrome, next time you see it, try putting something between the chrome and the paint, like a piece of paper, or even your hand....or if the chrome is on the door, open the door.

@Farmallluvr - I did that when I was correcting my Golf R. First time ever correcting paint and it seemed like I couldn't get hazing out. Turns out it was the way the light was reflecting off the paint through my eye glasses (glasses were not perfectly clean). Put my contacts in and all the hazing was gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I would post this shot here just as a good way of showing how THIN clear coats are. This is off a 2 year old Lincoln that is experiencing a factory defect of the clear flaking off. Really puts things in perspective to see it as a flake and how thin it really is.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

About as thick as a piece of paper.

8. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're not seeing pigment from the area then it's likely not clearcoat burn-through.

Place a strip of tape across the area and buff on just one side then check to see if there's a difference. If not - could it be UNDER the clear?

Are you saying if you burn through the clear you’ll get pigment from base layer (green car/ green pigment)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Are you saying if you burn through the clear you’ll get pigment from base layer (green car/ green pigment)?

Yes, the basecoat will transfer paint to a pad or towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct...ask me how I know

BTW, just got a quote of $400 to repaint the door on my car where I sanded thru the clearcoat.

12. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's pic

What I'm saying or trying to teach is how you would,

Troubleshoot

To troubleshoot a paint defect - you place a strip of tape OVER an affected area and then only buff on one side of the tape line. Then LOOK to see if anything changed. If you see CHANGE - that is whatever the ugly thing is that's buffing you about the paint is now gone or at least improved - you just PROVED to yourself the UGLY is on the surface and YOU can fix it.

If there's ZERO change then whatever the UGLY is - it's not on the surface because buffing on it made zero change.

That's what I'm trying to teach. It's how you troubleshoot if a defect is on the surface or not and if it is if you can fix it or not.

14. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123