autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrap care and maintenance

I saw the thread down below about detailing wrapped vans in Vegas but I had a few questions. My sister would like me to detail her Charger. She just had a gloss wrap put on the roof and had a matte wrap put on the spoiler of the trunk (not sure the reason behind the 2 finishes ). The wrapps are in good shape so I won't need to do anything but wash and protect them. My questions are

1) Do I need to use a special auto wash for the wraps other than the ph neutral washes I use for regular washes

2) what is the recommended protection and procedure for applying and removing for each finish that will not harm or discolor the wrap and give it a nice finish (for the gloss) without scratching

Since they are new there are no scratches on either worth trying to correct.

Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wrap care and maintenance

It’s not 3M film isn’t it? I have a wrap on my work van, but the black glossy is fading and barely put on 4 months ago.

Either way, I’m interested in learning also.

All the best
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure which brand it is. I asked her to call where she had it installed to find out the specs on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, let’s wait for others chime in. I’m no expert by any means.

There countless guys here that can give you a better opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mww6t7 View Post

I saw the thread down below about detailing wrapped vans in Vegas but I had a few questions. My sister would like me to detail her Charger. She just had a gloss wrap put on the roof and had a matte wrap put on the spoiler of the trunk (not sure the reason behind the 2 finishes ). The wrapps are in good shape so I won't need to do anything but wash and protect them. My questions are

1) Do I need to use a special auto wash for the wraps other than the ph neutral washes I use for regular washes
    Any quality pH neutral wash will work.

2) what is the recommended protection and procedure for applying and removing for each finish that will not harm or discolor the wrap and give it a nice finish (for the gloss) without scratching

Thanks for the help

Now days, it's real simply. GYEON introduced a complete system for PFF and this would include wraps at SEMA last year and it's now available.

Gyeon Q2 PPF

Gyeon Q2M PPF Wash 400 ml.

Gyeon Q2M PPF Maintain

GYEON Renew

All GYEON products

GYEON Car Care

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems as if the Q2M PPF Maintain is unavailable everywhere I have looked. Are there any other products you would recommend Mike?

Mike Phillips

If you want to keep it simple, get one of these,

Real simple - SONAX Brilliant Shine spray detailer - also protects.

Optimum Polymer Technologies Car Wax - the only product that I know of that has PATENTED UV protection. It's a spray-on product and in my opinion would be a good match for a vinyl wrap.

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Optimum Car Wax

A chemist that also worked for car paint companies to create modern clearcoat paints
    Dr. David Ghodoussi is a PhD Organic Chemist and his background includes working for many of the major paint companies that make automotive car paints. He was one of the chemists that helped to create modern clearcoat/basecoat paint technology back in the 1980's.

Optimum Car Wax
    Dr. Ghodoussi has a product called Optimum Car Wax which uses a patented UV protection ingredient and process that offers the same UV protection as the UV protection ingredients used in the actual clear layer of paint on your car. Dr. Ghodoussi also told me that Ford Motor Company did long term testing of protection products and documented that this product actually lived up to the claim and offered true UV protection for automotive clearcoats.

Plus, while I know most people think a spray on wax is a glorified spray detailer, this particular wax really does leave the UV protection ingredients on the surface and if I remember correctly with repeated use the key ingredients migrate into the paint resin to some level.

I asked Dr. Ghodoussi why he didn't bring this out as a traditional paste or liquid wax and he told me that the best and perhaps the only way to suspend the key ingredients was using a thin liquid formula and that's why this product is a spray-on product.

If your car is a daily driver and especially a daily driver parked outside every day and even more especially if you live in a geographical location that has extended and even extreme exposure to the sun, like for example you live near the equator, then get this product and use it.

My recommendation
    Before using this product the paint should be clean and smooth. If your car's paint is not clean and smooth and also defect free then prep the paint first by,

1. Washing
    2. Claying
    3. Compounding (if needed to remove deep swirls and scratches)
    4. Polishing
    5. Then apply Optimum Spray Wax

And this is key...

USE IT OFTEN.

At least use it often on the horizontal surface like the roof, hood and trunk lid as these are the surfaces that take a beating every day from the sun. Think about it.... if you walk around any parking lots filled with cars the panels you most often see clearcoat failure are the hood, roof and trunk lids because these are the areas that sunburned everyday.

A quick simple routine is what you need
    Washing and waxing your car correctly will take you a couple of hours easy.... but think outside the box. Purchase a quality spray detailer, waterless wash or rinseless wash and wipe down the horizontal surfaces and then apply the spray wax. This will take you around 20 minutes if you do a good job. This small time investment will protect and maintain your car's horizontal surfaces with patented UV protection. Then later on the weekend or when you have time wash and wax the entire car.

Get and take care of a nice collection of microfiber towels when you order the Optimum Spray Wax

What is touching your car's paint?
    It' is the towel that touches the paint. I recommend purchasing a 12 pack of towels and the DEDICATE these towels for NOTHING but for use with this spray wax on your favorite ride. Get a dedicated laundry basket for the garage for ONLY THESE TOWELS. Keep them off the ground. Wash them together. Dry them together. Store them someplace they will NOT get contaminated and then every time you go to apply and wipe off the wax you won't scratch your car's precious thin paint.

Remember - it's what touches the paint that determines swirls and scratches.

12 Pack Sky Blue Edgeless Polishing Cloths

Make sense?

On Autogeek.com

Optimum Spray Wax

12 Pack Sky Blue Edgeless Polishing Cloths

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Essentials Wash Kit - Everything you need to mix up your own waterless wash

9. Likes DanaDetailingPros liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you mike.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help
    I have had success with Cquartz Skin on gloss and matte vinyl.

You can find my review on it on this forum. After that a simple wash like normal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast