autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Car From Hell! 2014 Subaru Forester nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

if you find out this Subaru does in fact have a known history of having Sticky Paint - next time someone wants you to detail one, stick with the BF One Step or RUN!
    As a Subaru owner and my first time trying BF One Step on my Subaru Outback I was amazed. Thank you Mike!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by J Z06 View Post

Mike,

Thanks so much! The bottle arrived today!

Tomorrow,it's go time!
    Good to hear.

So many RIDS! I would bet they'd come right out by someone with experience wet-sanding. That's certainly not Me!
    Not me either. When buffing out the factory paint on a daily driver - when using an AIO - you will normally do 8 to 12 section passes with whatever polisher you have and either a foam "polishing" or foam "cutting" pad and that's it. Whatever you remove is great. Whatever remains behind - you live with it.

I simply want to finish it up and get it out of here so it can be traded.
    I'm going to hedge my bets and assume you're going to love it.

Remember - apply and let dry. I buff out ENTIRE cars and wait until I'm completely done and then wipe the was off. It wipes off that easy.

PLUS - with this technique - it's very easy to see where you've buffed and where you still need to buff.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

if you find out this Subaru does in fact have a known history of having Sticky Paint - next time someone wants you to detail one, stick with the BF One Step or RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by boomerman View Post

As a Subaru owner and my first time trying BF One Step on my Subaru Outback I was amazed.

Thank you Mike!

Thank you for chiming in and adding your experience. I'm 100% absolutely confident that moving forward, anytime someone goes to Skynet and searches for,

STICKY PAINT

This thread will slowly but surely start to rise to the top of teh search results and this thread will help others.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Car From Hell! 2014 Subaru Forester nightmare! Sticky Paint

It continues and will retain the title of "the car from hell" .
    I grabbed an orange 6.5" ccs brand new pad, put it on the beast 3401,primed the pad and did half the hood. 10 passes. The usual, a bit of dust and some white stuff came off the pad. I let that sit/let it dry,
    ..went to the grocery store with My Acura. Just got back,wiped a spot with a mf towel,it was like I didn't do anything. I couldn't wipe anything off.
    Grabbed panel wipe, all gone. Again, never seen anything like this. It is going to be an arduous day! I tried!!

Mike Phillips

I grabbed an orange 6.5" ccs brand new pad, put it on the beast 3401,primed the pad and did half the hood. 10 passes. The usual, a bit of dust and some white stuff came off the pad. I let that sit/let it dry,

..went to the grocery store with My Acura. Just got back,wiped a spot with a mf towel,it was like I didn't do anything. I couldn't wipe anything off.

Grabbed panel wipe, all gone. Again, never seen anything like this. It is going to be an arduous day!

I tried!!
    And that was using the BLACKFIRE One Step?

I've never experienced anything like this. If the BF One Step wipes off hard, my guess is everything will wipe-off hard and I think that's been your experience so far.

That must be some really crappy paint.

NO car manufacturer should be building and selling cars the AVERAGE PERSON cannot easily work on with basic products.

It shouldn't take a degree in Shinology and unique or special products to take care of a daily driver.

Mike Phillips

Try this,

Hand apply a thin coat of the BF One Step to a section of paint you've correct, so it's already clean and smooth.

Allow it to dry for 5-10 minutes and then test wipe-off.

Also - do you have a simple polisher like a PC?

Mike Phillips

Check our PMs

Post Thanks / Like

And that was using the BLACKFIRE One Step?

I've never experienced anything like this. If the BF One Step wipes off hard, my guess is everything will wipe-off hard and I think that's been your experience so far.

That must be some really crappy paint.

NO car manufacturer should be building and selling cars the AVERAGE PERSON cannot easily work on with basic products.

It shouldn't take a degree in Shinology and unique or special products to take care of a daily driver.

Yup! It was good to talk with You! I haven't experienced this before either. Plan B, Dad's car/Cyclo/green pad, nickel sized drop on a small section is drying at the moment! I am hoping for good results. Stay tuned. THANKS so much for Your help!!! We shall see what will become of the car from hell! LOL!!

Post Thanks / Like

Try this,

Hand apply a thin coat of the BF One Step to a section of paint you've correct, so it's already clean and smooth.

Allow it to dry for 5-10 minutes and then test wipe-off.

Also - do you have a simple polisher like a PC?

I did that last night. ZERO issues...deeper gloss for sure. I may have to do this thing by hand...we'll see how it goes after the results of My Dad's car are through.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar situation on a repaint car with single stage black paint. Micro Marring to a haze and the residue was glued to the surface when using a Porter Cable. Switched to Sonax EX 04-06 with lots of product on the pad, 15mm orbit Flex cordless free spin polisher, smaller working section, less section passes, and the result looked like a mirror. Residue control was key as WillSports3 said above. I don't recall the exact pad I used.

I picked up on 3401 and doing half a Forester hood with 10 passes, that's a large area with lots of passes with lots of residue buildup.
    • 3401 works fast-> more residue.
    • Large section -> more residue.
    • More passes -> more residue.

The steps being done with a 3401 make quick work of a normal car but may be generating too much residue for this one. I'm curious to see the results of the hand applied BF One step. Less reside buildup by hand.

11. Likes mc2hill liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast