autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Safely remove pine sap ??

What's the best way to remove pine sap , it's been baked on pretty good....
    I heard someone say hand sanitizer ??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Safely remove pine sap ??

91 percent alcohol, hand sanitizer works also.

Post Thanks / Like

Is mineral spirits and turpentine safe for paint?? What works best if its baked on ??

Post Thanks / Like

My wife parks under trees regularly and gets sap on her car that I can’t always get to right away and does get baked on. I recently used straight isopropyl alcohol and it took care of it without issue! Sanitizer works and doesn’t evaporate as quickly as regular alcohol.

I would make sure to clean the area(s) well, apply IPA and lightly work the sap off the surface. It does evaporate quite quickly and doesn’t provide a whole lot of lubrication so you may want to use a wet microfiber. If it’s on glass as well maybe attack that first so you have an idea of how to remove it without worrying about the paint. It works on glass as well as paint and is safe, afterwards wash the vehicle or at the minimum a detailer to wipe any residue.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

I use CarPro Tar-X.

Post Thanks / Like

Hand sanitizer works well, as it a gel and will dwell longer than IPA. I have used mineral spirits, but prefer the hand santizer on more delicate surfaces.

Mike Phillips

Here's the real secret

Dwell time

Whatever you use, dampen a corner of a microfiber towel and press it against the sap. Now keep your finger on it and hum a song or enjoy a cold beverage of a cup of copy.

ALLOW the solvent to penetrate into and around the sap and do it's thing, that is soften and dissolve the tree sap.

THEN wipe it off.

That's what I do and it works great and it's another super tiny little technique I share in my classes.

Here's what I see most people do - the opposite. They take their product/solvent, apply some to a cloth and then rub on the tree sap like a MAD MAN. And then wonder why they struggle to get the sap off and after they get the sap off then the get out their polisher and remove all the scratches they put into the paint simply because they didn't have p-a-t-i-e-n-c-e.

Mike Phillips

Also, I use Stoner Tar and Sap Remover or Carpro Tarx

Both work great.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's the real secret

Dwell time

Whatever you use, dampen a corner of a microfiber towel and press it against the sap. Now keep your finger on it and hum a song or enjoy a cold beverage of a cup of copy.

ALLOW the solvent to penetrate into and around the sap and do it's thing, that is soften and dissolve the tree sap.

THEN wipe it off.

That's what I do and it works great and it's another super tiny little technique I share in my classes.

Here's what I see most people do - the opposite. They take their product/solvent, apply some to a cloth and then rub on the tree sap like a MAD MAN. And then wonder why they struggle to get the sap off and after they get the sap off then the get out their polisher and remove all the scratches they put into the paint simply because they didn't have p-a-t-i-e-n-c-e.

Hi Mike -

Quick curve ball... sap that has settled on a cloth convertible top... have to imagine color fastness becomes a concern when using solvents in this case? Any experience with this?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Champion View Post

Hi Mike -

Quick curve ball... sap that has settled on a cloth convertible top... have to imagine color fastness becomes a concern when using solvents in this case? Any experience with this?

Thank you!

I think I've run into this in the past and two things that can lead to a problem,

color fastness

Rubbing - fraying a spot on the top

The safest thing I can think if piggybacks off what I posted above and that's let TIME work for you. Assuming it's only a spot or two, get the top REALLY WET and then place a WET microfiber towel on top of the sap and allow the water to DWELL and do what water does best - soften and dissolve.

Use the technique I share here.

How to safely remove a dried bird dropping by Mike Phillips

Step 1: Get a clean microfiber towel wet with water and place it on top of the bird dropping.

Step 2: Pour even more water onto the microfiber towel so that the towel is completely wet and saturated.

The secret?

It simple - the towel holds the water onto the dried bird dropping so the water can go do work doing what it does best and that is dissolving and re-liquefying the dried bird dropping. If you simply pour water or spray water onto the dried bird dropping it will simply run off onto the ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast