autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2020 pearl white Honda Accord

Hey mike.

My girlfriend recently purchased a 2020 pearl white Honda Accord. The dealer left something to be desired as far as detailing goes. So I told her that I would take care of it for her.

Now I have done a few cars and a boat and I’m kinda just starting my path as a detailer.

My POA is: wash, decon, and for polishing shurhold 3500 DA white LC CCS 5.5” pad and Sonax perfect finish after prep I was going to protect it with 2 coats of power lock plus.

I just watched your live YouTube with anthony’s Cadillac which was very informative. Y

ou used Sonax nano ultra fine polish in the video.

My question is would perfect finish probably be too harsh for Honda paint considering it’s softer?

I really just want it to look good for her so she can feel amazing driving in a new car. Could I use the power lock plus on a finishing pad and maybe achieve a polished look without using a polish?

Mike Phillips

Re: 2020 pearl white Honda Accord

Hi Taylor,

Hope you don't mind but I edited your post and broke-up the block of text into smaller bite-size chunks to make it easier to read.

3. Likes Taylorvert liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Taylorvert View Post

My POA is: wash, decon, and for polishing shurhold 3500 DA white LC CCS 5.5” pad and Sonax perfect finish after prep I was going to protect it with 2 coats of power lock plus.

I just watched your live YouTube with anthony’s Cadillac which was very informative. Y

ou used Sonax nano ultra fine polish in the video.

My question is would perfect finish probably be too harsh for Honda paint considering it’s softer?

I really just want it to look good for her so she can feel amazing driving in a new car. Could I use the power lock plus on a finishing pad and maybe achieve a polished look without using a polish?

First - make sure all our backing plates and pads have black marks on them so you can see if the pad is rotating or not. I have not used a Shurhold polisher for years but the ones I have used were a tick on the weak side and maintaining pad rotation was a bit of a struggle. Again - I haven't used any of their latest units so this could have been rectified.

Next - "yes" most Honda's have soft paint and correct easy. SONAX Perfect Finish is what I would call a Medium Cut Polish and while it's very safe it may be a tick to aggressive for what you need.

The Power Lock is a NON-cleaning or NON-abrasive sealant so it will remove anything.

If it were me - I would test the product you already have and see what you can do. Making 8 section passes won't harm anything. The key will be removing the defects AND finishing out without any micro-marring.

A good Test Spot and a good light to check the results is what you need to do.

5. Likes Taylorvert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am no expert....I have a 2019 camry which I bought brand new....originally I used sealant and the car look good....then I been reading about ceramic coating..so over this weekend I took the jump...so I ceramic coated my car and wow it looks great...My process:
    wash with Dawn
    used clay
    compound because I had water spots on my hood
    Polished
    paint prep
    coating

using sealant is easier....but being a senior and not going out much because of the virus I had plenty of time...if you go with sealant I have plenty of product for you to use lots of luck

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Please do what you need. I’m pretty new here still haven’t learned all the etiquette.

I also have products like 3D one,3D speed,megs ultimate polish, Sonax cut and finish. Would any of these be a less harsh approach?

I was going to use 3D speed but the idea of a filler really turned me off to the idea. Also I wanted to protect with the power lock plus vs the montan wax in 3D speed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior View Post
    I am no expert....I have a 2019 camry which I bought brand new....originally I used sealant and the car look good....then I been reading about ceramic coating..so over this weekend I took the jump...so I ceramic coated my car and wow it looks great...My process:
    wash with Dawn
    used clay
    compound because I had water spots on my hood
    Polished
    paint prep
    coating

using sealant is easier....but being a senior and not going out much because of the virus I had plenty of time...if you go with sealant I have plenty of product for you to use lots of luck

Mike spoke about you in the video I watched. You did the whole thing by hand?!?! Big props to that.

I was gonna ceramic coat it but I haven’t done one yet. I purchased new wheels for my car and some causers dlux and figured first time should be on my own stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have products like 3D one,3D speed,megs ultimate polish, Sonax cut and finish. Would any of these be a less harsh approach?
    You should go with the 3D One as with just this single product it will allow you to do all sorts of paint correction and defect removal, from heavy to light, and you control its action simply by the type of pad you use (cutting/compounding/polishing).

Review: 3D Paint Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Then top with your LSP.

10. Likes Taylorvert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: 2020 pearl white Honda Accord

the end result is do what you feel comfortable with...if you like the way your car looks ...be happy...and enjoy....LOL the main thing your girl friend is happy

12. Likes Taylorvert liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!

I’m probably going to test with Perfect Finish and see how it looks. If it leaves any micro marring or anything visible I’ll probably bite the bullet and purchase a ultra fine polish.

Mike Phillips

Please do what you need. I’m pretty new here still haven’t learned all the etiquette.
    No harm no foul, I try to help people detail their cars and I also try to help people figure out how to type so others will read what you write - otherwise -it's self-defeating.

How to type in a way that other people will read what you write

Yes. First - Perfect Finish is a great product. I show it in my classes when I teach the rotary buffer class.

Dedicated Rotary Polisher Class

Everyone learns how to use a rotary polisher in my classes. And for this class session we have a 1955 Chevy Panel Delivery Streetrod and a classic 1982 Corvette.

That's a bottle of SONAX Perfect Finish next to the student using a rotary polisher.

The 3D Speed and the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish would be LESS aggressive than the SONAX Perfect Finish - probably not by much but definitely less aggressive.

Keep in mind, the 3D Speed is a one-step cleaner/sealant or AIO - if you use this - you just chose to NOT use a ceramic coating. The Meguiar's Ultimate polish is a "dedicated" polish so you could use this and follow with a ceramic coating after chemically stripping.

Point being - they are two very different products. You can however use a normal wax or sealant after using either product. It's just wrong protocol to think you can effectively chemically strip a cleaner/wax after use and before installing a coating.

Clear as mud?

If it were me? I'd use the 3D Speed. Great correction, easy wipe-off. Nice product.

I was going to use 3D speed but the idea of a filler really turned me off to the idea.
    You're thinking wrong. It sounds like you've been listening to the wrong experts. Take a moment to read this article from 2012, 8 years ago, probably longer than some "experts" have been detailing cars, and weigh it against what the experts told you.

Any wax, paint sealant or coating that works fills to some degree

Here's a similar article from 2008,

Any wax that works fills to some degree

Simply put, if a wax works it LEAVES ITSELF BEHIND and part of that is it coats-over or fills.

If a wax does NOT leave itself behind, (coats-over and fills), then it's junk. Don't waste your time using it. You're defeating the purpose of even applying it.

Also I wanted to protect with the power lock plus vs the montan wax in 3D speed.
    The Montan Wax in 3D Speed and Poxy is a nice product. I trust anything my friend Tunch Gorin, President, Founder and Head Chemist for 3D products.

PowerLock is a nice product too.

15. Thanks Taylorvert thanked for this post
    Likes Taylorvert liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast