autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hood covered in speckled dots, wetsand? More compounding? Clearcoat failure?

I'm working on a complete paint correction on my 2008 MB E350 with 150k miles - 040 black paint.

The results from the video are after 2 passes with M105 on a Rupes medium microfiber cutting pad, and finished with 2 passes of Sonax Perfect Finish with a Rupes yellow foam pad.
    As you can see, it got 90% of the swirls and hard water spots out, however there are literally thousands of tiny speckles in the paint. Obviously there are larger rock chips in the video as well...but I want to know about these pin-head size dots all over. It just looks like the nights sky on the black paint!

It looks like its just been sandblasted over the years living in the desert, but I'm not 100% sure. Its also on the roof too though which makes me question that its just rock dings. I dont see it on the doors. I cannot feel it with my nail, but they are so incredibly small individually...but as you can see in the video there are thousands of them which up close looks bad!

Is that the beginning of clearcoat failure?
    Is it just that the top of the clearcoat is damaged from sand on the freeway over the years that would come out with wetsanding?
    Should I try more passes with M105?

Just not sure what the "speckles" are so I can know what to try. Anybody have any comments or thoughts?

Hood Paint Correction - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hood covered in speckled dots, wetsand? More compounding? Clearcoat failure?

That is from sand blasting on the highway.
    What's your paint code? Because your paint could be on the super hard side. I suggest 6 passes with M105 on the cutting pad, and then try 4 passes with the sonax perfect finish. What kind of a polisher are you using?

Edit:

Sorry, it's sand blasting and from the M105 filling it up and making it look worse than it is. Regardless, try 6 passes with the compound and 4 passes with the polish. Then use a paint prep spray to go over it to remove any little thing.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hood covered in speckled dots, wetsand? More compounding? Clearcoat failure?

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    That is from sand blasting on the highway.
    What's your paint code? Because your paint could be on the super hard side. I suggest 6 passes with M105 on the cutting pad, and then try 4 passes with the sonax perfect finish. What kind of a polisher are you using?

Edit:

Sorry, it's sand blasting and from the M105 filling it up and making it look worse than it is. Regardless, try 6 passes with the compound and 4 passes with the polish. Then use a paint prep spray to go over it to remove any little thing.
    Thanks that's helpful for some direction. It was there long before I used M105...
    Paint is 040U Black. I know the clearcoat is hard because Ultimate Compound didnt even touch the swirls whatsoever.

I did this small test area with my Rupes LHR75E, but I have a larger Porter Cable DA once I get the right combo.

When I said 2-passes, they were pretty quick, about 2/3mins each time I did it, twice, so about 4-5mins total of compounding, then 4-5mins of polishing the 20" x 20" test area I taped off (roughly).

When say you paint prep spray, would IPA work, or what product?

Post Thanks / Like

IPA is usable but it's not great. No lubrication really. I mean like a dedicated oil remover like CarPro Eraser or something like that. If that didn't work, it's honestly just sand blasting and unless you repaint, eh. It is what it is.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

IPA is usable but it's not great. No lubrication really. I mean like a dedicated oil remover like CarPro Eraser or something like that. If that didn't work, it's honestly just sand blasting and unless you repaint, eh. It is what it is.
    I looked today down the side of the car very carefully and I think you're right - I dont see any "speckles" down the doors etc, it just seems to be on the hood and roof.

So even though I can't feel it with my nail etc, its too deep for any sort of correction?

I ordered some CarPro Eraser to try as well, its a useful product to have around either way.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say if you cant feel it with your nails, it's because years of sand blasting has smoothed it out. The paint itself is gone so compounding wont do anything.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say if you cant feel it with your nails, it's because years of sand blasting has smoothed it out. The paint itself is gone so compounding wont do anything.
    Ok thanks for the input.

I guess this is why I need to get my new Audi ceramic coated asap while the mileage is low!-

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating won't do anything for that. I would suggest a full frontal PPF. Coat it to protect the paint against chemical damage and the like but for pure physical trauma, PPF is the way to go.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

9. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post

however there are literally thousands of tiny speckles in the paint.

Yep. Seen this all my life. Usually just in the hood and at least in some cases - it's the debris that hits the hood over time.

I lived in the Mojave Desert and I've made the drive from Apple Valley to Vegas a half dozen times and when it's windy - you can hear the wind-blown sand hitting your car. It sounds like the car is being sand blasted. AND - I've run some heavy duty sand blasters in my life.

But when it's on the roof? That's when I don't know what the root cause is.

Usually what happens is you buff out your car, (like you did), and then after removing the zillions of swirls and scratches these tiny little dots or specs show up? The thing is - they are NOT defects ON the paint but they are like HOLES IN the paint.

The more you ABRADE the paint the more of the holes you uncover but you never make them go away.