autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to do 1st ceramic coating and have a few questions.

Bought the wife a new Ford Edge and was looking to do a ceramic coating on it. I use 3D polishes, Towel Kleen, BDX, Waterless Wash and really like their products.
    I figured that these products have worked well for me that I was leaning toward the 3D ceramic coating and their panel wipe.

The question I have is what supporting product should I look at buying? I am just about out of car wash and Waterless wash.

Do I buy a SiO2 car wash or am I fine sticking with what I normally use and save a few bucks?

If I do the 3D ceramic coating will using a different brand of SiO2 spray for maintenance effect the performance of the 3D coating?

Are all of these ceramic/SiO2 product compatible with each other?

I have watched quite a few of the video and Mike always talks about staying with in a brands system.

I have also looked at Black Fire & PBL and see that they offer kits that include the coating, surface prep, car wash and a SiO2 spray. They might be a better bang for the buck.

I have also read were most coating give the paint a rubbery feel, are there any that make the paint feel slick like a wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to do 1st ceramic coating and have a few questions.

Mike is an avid promoter of sticking with the same family to promote product synergy. That is always a good thing to stick to but you can always modify with other products that work well and have a track history of working with various other products.

Quote Originally Posted by BTW574 View Post

Do I buy a SiO2 car wash or am I fine sticking with what I normally use and save a few bucks?
    No you don't need a dedicated car wash with SiO2 in it. I personally am not a fan of them just like I am not a fan of wash & wax. I have used many coatings and the two car washes I would recommend are the following

Meguiar's D110 Hyper Wash Meguiars Hyper-Wash is a concetrated car wash for frequent or professional detailing. Super foaming, long lasting car shampoo from Meguiars.

Everyone who has a coated vehicle should own a bottle of CarPro Reset CarPro Reset Intensive Car Shampoo

If you are looking for a rinseless wash then I recommend two. One is no longer sold here and that would be McKee's N914 and the other is CarPro EcH20 CarPro ECH2O Waterless Wash & Detail Spray 1 Liter

I have had success with both. N914 leaves nothing behind on the surface and straight up cleans. EcH20 has SiO2 in it for the gloss enhancement but leaves little to nothing behind. EcH20 can be diluted down to a detail spray as well to be used as a drying aid.

If I do the 3D ceramic coating will using a different brand of SiO2 spray for maintenance effect the performance of the 3D coating?
    No it won't affect its performance but you will see the behavior of the topper rather than the coating.

I read on social media of 3D users recommending to use 3D Bead It Up to maintain the 3D coating. It is 3D's response to Beadmaker.

3D Bead It Up

In many instances they are compatible.

I have also read were most coating give the paint a rubbery feel, are there any that make the paint feel slick like a wax?
    Most coatings feel tacky. Some more than others. Which is why everyone tops them with some sort of maintenance product . Everyone is so used to paint being slick that they don't like the feel of the coating. I linked 3D Bead It Up.

The other product that works with any coating is CarPro Elixir CarPro EliXir Quick Detailer 1 Liter

3. Likes PaulMys, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Looking to do 1st ceramic coating and have a few questions.

I don't think so. 3D chemistry is bullet-proof.

I'd say yes, mostly because most reputable coatings are very durable.

I have watched quite a few of the video and Mike always talks about staying with in a brands system.
    I personally believe there is truth to staying within a single line of products when doing a multiple step process.

I explain why here,

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility by Mike Phillips

See this thread,

Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating

And read through this thread,

Coating Boosters