autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Degreaser on paint, and Wolfgang issues on another car.

Long story short, what could have happened is that the waterspots were never removed initially because when you heated up the paint by polishing, the paint expanded and it hid the defects. So now after everything has been done, you see it again. The reason I suggest the heat gun is to get the temperature higher up to expand the paint initially, that way you can just spot compound the spots out.

The other method is to keep the paint as cold as possible while you polish. That means basically you're spraying down the paint with ice water after each pass so the paint and therefore defect, remains at a similar paint thickness until the defects are removed.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

How did the water get on the paint if it was garaged? What pad did you use with the Megs Compound? What machine are you using?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Long story short, what could have happened is that the waterspots were never removed initially because when you heated up the paint by polishing, the paint expanded and it hid the defects. So now after everything has been done, you see it again. The reason I suggest the heat gun is to get the temperature higher up to expand the paint initially, that way you can just spot compound the spots out.

The other method is to keep the paint as cold as possible while you polish. That means basically you're spraying down the paint with ice water after each pass so the paint and therefore defect, remains at a similar paint thickness until the defects are removed.
    That’s so interesting and it makes sense. Do you have a recommendation of further reading on this, or maybe a video?

Post Thanks / Like

The water spots could've been on there before he polished. I would suggest ammo NYC podcasts or if you're able to, shoot an email to ammo NYC or Kevin Brown of buff daddy. They like to get into the specific details of things.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...r+spot+etching

I’m not clicking your pics but this may be helpful

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...r+spot+etching

I’m not clicking your pics but this may be helpful
    Degreaser on paint, and Wolfgang issues on another car.-1d6eca0f-d7a5-46c6-8f4a-753604c736d5-jpeg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Degreaser on paint, and Wolfgang issues on another car.-84208684-28f8-4049-b6ca-a41759873df5-jpeg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    How did the water get on the paint if it was garaged? What pad did you use with the Megs Compound? What machine are you using?
    Like mentioned, it could’ve been there before polishing or sealing. I’m in Houston and humidity is crazy this week, so it could be that?

I forgot to mention that I polished the hood the day before and I stopped because I was sore. The next day I finished the whole car then sealed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There was also some of hardened sap that wouldn't come out, so I used hand sanitizer trying remove it and wiped it off immediately. It didn't work very well, so I used Stoner Tarminator which took care of it. I followed the instruction and rinsed it off immediately after each application. I am really freaking out now that I messed up the clear for my brother in law's hood.

Post Thanks / Like

The clear coat should be fine so don't freak out too much about it. I wouldn't use hand sanitizer in the future. If you get hardened sap (of small enough quantity) on your clearcoat, next time just spit on it and let it sit for a moment. Our saliva is slightly acidic, that's honestly what I do for small sap spots on cars.

Another thing to keep in mind, with a higher humidity, there's a higher chance of the polish getting separated early. For example, most of the time when you see the leveling liquid go clear on your paint, it doesn't mean that it has broken down. It just means the polish has gotten separated. If you were to spritz on some water and go back to it, you'll see the white appear again as if you were on your first pass. Not a big big deal. So what happens is when you're on your 4th or 5th pass, the actual grit of the leveling fluid (the aluminum oxide, zinc, kaolin, calcium bicarbonate or whichever agent they used) has seperated from the liquid and bunching up together instead of being emulsified on your paint. Humidity, high heat, a lot of things can cause that. So when you're on your 4th or 5th pass, you might be only polishing partially as the leveling fluid has separated because it's so humid that the emulsifier is thickening instead of remaining thin and distributing everything evenly across the panel and the paint. That's why perhaps you weren't able to get the waterspot out, because it looks like it's been hit a few times, just not super consistently.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post

I would suggest ammo NYC podcasts or if you're able to, shoot an email to ammo NYC or Kevin Brown of buff daddy.

They like to get into the specific details of things.

Ha ha... yeah I never get into details.

For what it's worth - since this is posted in a forum group called,

Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions?

When I get to work and out of our Wednesday morning meeting, I'll re-read this thread and offer any input I might have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast