autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Noob seeks advice

Not sure i have the right to post these questions as I an not a detailer by trade.
    But here goes.

I have four cars that I need to support at home, all daily drivers. Honestly I do not have time to detail them as I should.
    My plan is to apply 1 coat per year of a good past wax (Collinite 845 perhaps?), Wash monthly, and every three months use a good spray wax.

I have been doing this for some time and am mostly happy with the results. But I would like suggestions on the spray wax - what would you suggest?

Also the two biggest issues I find is water spotting on the glass immediately after washing, is there a soap wash that really does not spot or streak?
    And the other is break dust. What works best to spray and rinse the brakes dust on the rims.

Appreciate your help and responses.
    -Eds

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noob seeks advice

Just kicking things off for you:

You have every right to ask these questions here, as a person who cares about their car and keeping it in decent shape.

If possible, 2-3 applications per year of a good wax or sealant like 845 would be more beneficial. There’s no doubt it degrades away at 4-6 months.

Regarding wash and spray wax: when you wash every mo th, use the spray wax of choice as a drying aid, that is spray it onto each panel as you dry. This will add protection and make drying easier and eliminate your water spots on the windshield... as you dry. I recommend Optimum Car Wax, Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer, or Duragloss Aquawax. There are a ton more good ones to choose from if you want more choices.

All soaps spot in certain conditions but the drying aid will help and I recommend getting Meguiar’s HyperWash in a gallon size. It rinses pretty well and is affordable.

You won’t be able to just spray and rinse all break dust off. But using any iron remover wheel cleaner will help a lot and with some agitation you can have the wheels fully clean from most, non-rusted in breakdust.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by selkov View Post

Not sure i have the right to post these questions as I an not a detailer by trade.
    But here goes.

I have four cars that I need to support at home, all daily drivers. Honestly I do not have time to detail them as I should.
    My plan is to apply 1 coat per year of a good past wax (Collinite 845 perhaps?), Wash monthly, and every three months use a good spray wax.

I have been doing this for some time and am mostly happy with the results. But I would like suggestions on the spray wax - what would you suggest?

Here's what I would suggest.

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Optimum Car Wax

A chemist that also worked for car paint companies to create modern clearcoat paints
    Dr. David Ghodoussi is a PhD Organic Chemist and his background includes working for many of the major paint companies that make automotive car paints. He was one of the chemists that helped to create modern clearcoat/basecoat paint technology back in the 1980's.

Optimum Car Wax
    Dr. Ghodoussi has a product called Optimum Car Wax which uses a patented UV protection ingredient and process that offers the same UV protection as the UV protection ingredients used in the actual clear layer of paint on your car. Dr. Ghodoussi also told me that Ford Motor Company did long term testing of protection products and documented that this product actually lived up to the claim and offered true UV protection for automotive clearcoats.

Plus, while I know most people think a spray on wax is a glorified spray detailer, this particular wax really does leave the UV protection ingredients on the surface and if I remember correctly with repeated use the key ingredients migrate into the paint resin to some level.

I asked Dr. Ghodoussi why he didn't bring this out as a traditional paste or liquid wax and he told me that the best and perhaps the only way to suspend the key ingredients was using a thin liquid formula and that's why this product is a spray-on product.

If your car is a daily driver and especially a daily driver parked outside every day and even more especially if you live in a geographical location that has extended and even extreme exposure to the sun, like for example you live near the equator, then get this product and use it.

My recommendation
    Before using this product the paint should be clean and smooth. If your car's paint is not clean and smooth and also defect free then prep the paint first by,

1. Washing
    2. Claying
    3. Compounding (if needed to remove deep swirls and scratches)
    4. Polishing
    5. Then apply Optimum Spray Wax

And this is key...

USE IT OFTEN.

At least use it often on the horizontal surface like the roof, hood and trunk lid as these are the surfaces that take a beating every day from the sun. Think about it.... if you walk around any parking lots filled with cars the panels you most often see clearcoat failure are the hood, roof and trunk lids because these are the areas that sunburned everyday.

A quick simple routine is what you need
    Washing and waxing your car correctly will take you a couple of hours easy.... but think outside the box. Purchase a quality spray detailer, waterless wash or rinseless wash and wipe down the horizontal surfaces and then apply the spray wax. This will take you around 20 minutes if you do a good job. This small time investment will protect and maintain your car's horizontal surfaces with patented UV protection. Then later on the weekend or when you have time wash and wax the entire car.

Get and take care of a nice collection of microfiber towels when you order the Optimum Spray Wax

What is touching your car's paint?
    It' is the towel that touches the paint. I recommend purchasing a 12 pack of towels and the DEDICATE these towels for NOTHING but for use with this spray wax on your favorite ride. Get a dedicated laundry basket for the garage for ONLY THESE TOWELS. Keep them off the ground. Wash them together. Dry them together. Store them someplace they will NOT get contaminated and then every time you go to apply and wipe off the wax you won't scratch your car's precious thin paint.

Remember - it's what touches the paint that determines swirls and scratches.

12 Pack Sky Blue Edgeless Polishing Cloths

Make sense?

On Autogeek.com

Optimum Spray Wax

12 Pack Sky Blue Edgeless Polishing Cloths

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Essentials Wash Kit - Everything you need to mix up your own waterless wash

Mike Phillips

[QUOTE=selkov;1684506]

Also the two biggest issues I find is water spotting on the glass immediately after washing, is there a soap wash that really does not spot or streak?

[quote]

I would machine or hand polish the glass first. My guess is there is already a build-up of road film on the outside glass and you need to start with the root cause of the problem.

This stuff works great by hand or machine.

Review: BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover

BLACKFIRE Glass Water Spot Remover

Here's the sun roof on a Honda Pilot. Water lands, dries and leaves water spots with imprint rings.

The imprint rings are the outer perimeter lines that mimic how the water drop formed and then dried.

GREAT tool for machine polishing glass and your car's paint. See my article HERE

Happy face - you don't have to do this, just put some product on the face of the pad....

Run the polisher over the glass on the 4 - 5 speed setting....

Wipe residue off with microfiber towel...

BOOM! --> clean glass again!

This looks good....

This looks bad...

Always SHAKE WELL before use - this product tends to settle out over time.

And if applying by hand - cut out a section of an old cotton terrycloth wash cloth for an applicator.

5. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by selkov View Post

And the other is break dust. What works best to spray and rinse the brakes dust on the rims.

Appreciate your help and responses.
    -Eds

Hands down -for spray and rinse, the NEW SONAX Wheel Cleaner PLUS

I had a chance to use this in beta form. As good as it gets and safe on all wheels.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner PLUS New Formula

If the wheels are neglected for years you will of course have to use a brush to get the worst of any baked-on brake-dust and road film. But after the initial cleaning, spray on, blast off.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I apologize, I don’t always look at the thread category and didn’t realize this was a question for Mike. Wasn’t trying to impersonate Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a couple more things to think about.

You didn't say you have a DA machine. If you don't, I would consider getting one of these:

SONAX P-Ball

Carrand Gripper? Microfiber Applicators 2 Pack, wax applicator pads, microfiber pads, polish pads

Pinnacle Polishin? Pal is an ergonomically shaped urethane handle that holds specially designed foam pads using tough hook & loop backing.

Anyone will save your hands - especially if you don't work with your hands regularly. And, they're not that expensive.

Another thing is if you get the Optimum products and you experience streaking, you want to go easier on the product. Lay the wax in as you dry as acuRAS suggested. Just use one squirt per panel. You don't need (or want) any more.

The only other reason I've had difficulty with Optimum was when I mixed other products with their line. Just a heads up, so , if you chose to mix and problems arise.