autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Matte paint correction - is it possible without repainting?

I did a search of the forum, but the closest thing I found was the Duster hood and Dr. Beasley's coating. In my personal experience as a painter, matte finishes are unforgiving because nibs etc. can't be sanded and buffed out like a traditional gloss clear coat. With the newer paints on cars that are offering matte finishes, is it possible to remove defects - swirls, scratches, etched water spots, etc. with a machine (or by hand) without losing the matte quality?
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matte paint correction - is it possible without repainting?

Good question, I’m interested as well.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

No. They can not be corrected, not by hand or machine. You will wind up with a shiny spot.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

4. Likes FUNX650, Mike Hoekstra, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

With the newer paints on cars that are offering
    matte finishes, is it possible to remove defects -
    swirls, scratches, etched water spots, etc. with a
    machine (or by hand) without losing the matte quality?
    •IMO: No.

-Paint correction involves the use of abrasives.
    -Abrasives are the ruination of matte finishes.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

This

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post

No. They can not be corrected, not by hand or machine. You will wind up with a shiny spot.

If you rub too much with any type of polish or even an AIO, you will abraded and this “smooth-over” the surface thus creating a shiny spot.

Dumb idea for a paint for the masses in my opinion because the average person cannot work on it. Heck, professionals can’t even work on it.

7. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Dumb idea for a paint for the masses in my opinion because the average person cannot work on it. Heck, professionals can’t even work on it.

Amen. I have had to custom paint three matte black items and hands down they are the hardest things I have ever painted because to correctly fix them means sanding and respraying. So why introduce something that requires a body shop to fix any paint issues? I thought perhaps, in some small way, the technology had been developed to allow a correction because of a “product to the masses”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Mike Phillips

Amen. I have had to custom paint three matte black items and hands down they are the hardest things I have ever painted because to correctly fix them means sanding and respraying. So why introduce something that requires a body shop to fix any paint issues?

I hear you but the masses are the market. The masses don't know what they are getting into when they buy a car with a matte paint job or even just a matte finished panel like the hood.

Here's my behind the scenes experience. I get contacted a lot via all types of contact options, e-mail, FB messages, PM's the forum, in-person etc. Here's a typical questions,

Hey Mike,

How can I remove the water spots off the hood of my car?

In context, the person asking me this has a car with a MATTE painted hood. I then tell them, you can try a number of different non-abrasive cleaners but if this approach doesn't work - you're probably out of luck.

Of course, no one like to hear this BUT - this is when they get educated about the cold hard reality of matte paint. Often time the comment they make after hearing this is REGRET in buying a vehicle with this type of finish.

Whoops.... to late...

I've never liked the matte look except the iconic Mustangs, Plymouth's, Dodges, etc, like this car from one of my 3-day bootcamp classes,

Show Car Garage BUSTING open at the seams! 9 of 13 cars for this weekends detailing class!

That REAL in other words, a numbers matching 1970 AAR Cuda is the real-deal, NOT a tribute car. And the people that attended that class were able to TRAIN on it and so many other cool cars.

There's simply no other class on Planet Earth like the classes I teach. None.

I thought perhaps, in some small way, the technology had been developed to allow a correction because of a “product to the masses”.

Not yet. At least, not that I know of.

I will tell you this little bit of Car Wax History - there was a guy named Lenny House who was working on a system to fix matte paints. But after a year or two, he too had to throw in the towels and simply walk away from his process.

You can find Lenny House in this thread, he's a GREAT guy, a great detailer and also the guy that helped me come up with my original VIF form.

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form

Due credit where credit is due

I obtained the original version of this form years ago from my long-time friend and professional detailer, Lenny House. I tweaked it with my own customizations to make his form work better for me. I've also asked for input from my good friends and professional detailers, Renny Doyle, Joe Fernandez and Robert DiTerlizzi.

Great question Mike, thanks for asking.