autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Coating Booster vs Blackfire SiO2 spray sealant for blackfire ceramic coating

Hi all! I'm new around here and I recently picked up a BF ceramic coating kit. The kit comes with the BF SiO2 spray sealant but not the BF coating booster. Is it a good idea to pick up the coating booster also? Which product should I be using following rinseless maintenance washes with
    ONR?

Also, is the BF ceramic coating safe to use on wheels, glass, and exterior plastic trim?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Coating Booster vs Blackfire SiO2 spray sealant for blackfire ceramic coating

Most will top with the sealant every 3-6 months. Some even monthly. I would buy the booster if you like to apply a coat weekly but not needed

Not stated but i feel like the booster is a maintenance spray (lighter form) of the sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Coating Booster vs Blackfire SiO2 spray sealant for blackfire ceramic coating

I typically just top monthly with the BF SiO2 spray sealant ( which is most likely more than I need to). But I have to say these ceramic coatings n SiO2 toppers make bird bomb clean up a breeze. I gauge the protection of my coatings n toppers on how well bird bombs(BB) clean up n how they protect the paint. I wonder if you can buy prepackaged BB to use for a sealant comparison; this will really separate the good from the average coatings n sealants ��
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

4. Likes DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Spray Sealant is thick and seems like a true sealant with SiO2 infused. The Coating Booster, although I’m sure it has polymers as well, is very thin, impossible to streak, can be used very often as Coatings=crack mentioned.

Interesting note: at times, I use Coating Booster as a drying aid for my PBL coated glass and wheels. It works fantastic since it is unstreakable (on this forum I choose to pretend that’s a real word). BF SiO2 on the other hand needs to be carefully (sparingly) applied when used as a drying aid, or else I get streaks when looked at with a swirl finder light.

6. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be picking up the coating booster to use after maintenance washes with ONR while using the spray sealant once every 1-2 months. Does anyone know if the blackfire coating is safe to use on wheels and glass? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cbn View Post
    Thanks guys, looks like I'll be picking up the coating booster to use after maintenance washes with ONR while using the spray sealant once every 1-2 months. Does anyone know if the blackfire coating is safe to use on wheels and glass? Thanks!
    Is the ONR you are using the kind with little-to-no gloss enhancement? I’ve never used the ONRs but the gloss stuff can mask coating properties and possibly impact the BF Sprays’ performances. That’s all I’ll say since I haven’t used ONR so I don’t know what it will do. Others may chime in.

It’s safe to use BF Coating on wheels and glass, but I haven’t heard anyone note how the performance is. There’s a chance it could make the wipers chatter on the windshield, or it may be fine. I would imagine it will do something beneficial on the remaining windows and wheels. If you have some leftover from a bottle with nothing else to use it on, might as well give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't bother with the coating booster.

Not long after it came out I bought a sample to try out on my coated cars. After applying it, I really couldn't tell the difference. It didn't improve the gloss, the surface felt the same, and on a car with a coating near the end of it's life the water behavior didn't improve.

The fact the coating booster isn't included in the kit might be a hint. Stay with the spray sealant. I've not used it, but it seems to get rave reviews from those who do.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

I'm going to answer in the reverse order the below to replies were made,

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post

The Spray Sealant is thick and seems like a true sealant with SiO2 infused.
    The above is accurate and for those reading this into the future - here's my review for this product.

BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips

BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant

The Coating Booster, although I’m sure it has polymers as well, is very thin, impossible to streak, can be used very often as Coatings=crack mentioned.

Interesting note: at times, I use Coating Booster as a drying aid for my PBL coated glass and wheels. It works fantastic since it is unstreakable (on this forum I choose to pretend that’s a real word).
    Correct also. Easy on, easy off. Last I was told this is a solvent-based product. What this means to you from a PRACTICAL point of view is it should only be used on paint in excellent to show car condition. It has no cleaning ability and because it's solvent-based instead of water based, it won't remove the tiny water marks you sometimes see on your car's paint after you wash and dry the car. A WATER-BASED product on the other hand will tend to remove tiny water marks after washing and drying and the BLACKFIRE Coating Booster is water-based, per my recommendation to the company when this product was in testing for the reasons I just stated.

It's a great product as long as you use it on the correct condition paint. And of course, only use any paint care product with clean, un-contaminated microfiber towels.

Hi all! I'm new around here and I recently picked up a BF ceramic coating kit. The kit comes with the BF SiO2 spray sealant but not the BF coating booster.

Is it a good idea to pick up the coating booster also? Which product should I be using following rinseless maintenance washes with
    ONR?
    Yes. This would be a great quick and easy maintenance product to use after an ONR Rinseless Wash. I would caution you to mix or dilute the ONR correctly when using it. Don't use with the philosophy,

If a little is good, more is better.

ONR contains substantial polymers, that's from the chemist himself, Dr. David Ghodoussi.

Dr. David Ghodoussi is a PhD Organic Chemist and his background includes working for many of the major paint companies that make automotive car paints. He was one of the chemists that helped to create modern clearcoat/basecoat paint technology back in the 1980's.

Also, is the BF ceramic coating safe to use on wheels, glass, and exterior plastic trim?
    I think it's safe to say you can use it on any hard, impermeable surface like paint, glass, plastic, etc. It probably won't hurt or harm to use it on soft, flexible, permeable surfaces like plastic and vinyl trim but it also might not do anything spectacular for these surfaces either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Last I was told this is a solvent-based product. What this means to you from a PRACTICAL point of view is it should only be used on paint in excellent to show car condition. It has no cleaning ability and because it's solvent-based instead of water based, it won't remove the tiny water marks you sometimes see on your car's paint after you wash and dry the car. A WATER-BASED product on the other hand will tend to remove tiny water marks after washing and drying and the BLACKFIRE Coating Booster is water-based, per my recommendation to the company when this product was in testing for the reasons I just stated.

It's a great product as long as you use it on the correct condition paint. And of course, only use any paint care product with clean, un-contaminated microfiber towels.
    Mike,
    So BF Coating Booster was originally slated as solvent based but you were able to steer it to water based?

I had never thought about solvent vs water based as far as removing water spots. But makes sense. Interesting.

Mike Phillips

Mike,

So BF Coating Booster was originally slated as solvent based but you were able to steer it to water based?

I had never thought about solvent vs water based as far as removing water spots. But makes sense. Interesting.

Actually, after thinking about it, it was the Pinnacle Black Label Coating Detailer and the Coating Booster that I had input on and that's where I shared the differences in abilities between a water-based and solvent-based detailer and booster and for these reasons, the PBL Coating Detailer is water-based and the PBL Coating Booster is solvent based.

I'm not sure about the BF Coating Booster but my guess would be solvent-based but I'm not sure.

Sorry for the confusion, was still early when I was typing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast