autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Industrial paint overspray removal

My first customer called today.

He is part of a painting company who got overspray on two vehicles while painting a water tower locally, and are putting the customers in touch with me. Clay bar and CarPro Tar remover is what I was going to try first. Any other suggestions from the masses?

I did some research as well because it seems like a classic third-party scam where I don't get paid, but seems to check out.

Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Industrial paint overspray removal

Mike,
    I’m not a businessman yet, but do you ask for deposit on any type of work? To make sure they are legit?
    I’ve heard stories where companies ask for deposit, until they know the client is legit.

I used to work for a readymix company, if the client ordered more concrete, they had to pay upfront for it.
    Unless they had a long time relationship with our company.
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar situation last year, except mine was blow in insulation that had covered several vehicles. I explained to the customers that I had to be paid before the vehicle left my property......either the customer had to pay me or the insulation company had to pay me before the vehicle left my property. After every vehicle I would call the insulation company and would take payment over the phone. I went through a lot of clay and I had to step up to a medium grade clay. I went through approximately 2 clay bars per vehicle. Keep that in mind when pricing and don't sell yourself short when pricing. This can and will be very time consuming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    My first customer called today. He is part of a painting company who got overspray on two vehicles while painting a water tower locally, and are putting the customers in touch with me. Clay bar and CarPro Tar remover is what I was doing to try first. Any other suggestions from the masses? I did some research as well because it seems like a classic third-party scam where I don't get paid, but seems to check out.
    I have been following the suggestion of Levi Gates from The Rag Company, Lacquer Thinner. Works quite well and easily found in local suppliers. Have used it on a few cars and my own for road stripping that was fresh and of course tar. Did not affect the paint but as always try a small amount to verify yourself.

Mike Phillips

My first customer called today.
    Congratulations!

He is part of a painting company who got overspray on two vehicles while painting a water tower locally, and are putting the customers in touch with me. Clay bar and CarPro Tar remover is what I was going to try first. Any other suggestions from the masses?
    First - this is actually pretty common. For all the different painting companies out there, I would MOST just set-up and start painting the "whatever" without warning anyone that parks in the area about what they are doing.

Most of your average citizens that don't pay attention to their cars anyways probably never see the overspray paint on their cars in these situations - BUT - there's sometimes people that do and when they discover their pride and joy is covered in overspray paint they tend to be pissed and go head hunting. That's where detailers like you get calls like you've received.

So it could be a scam and it could be the real-deal. My experience if it's the real-deal is they tend to source the work to the cheapest shop or detailer they can find.

Once you establish it's the real deal before talking dollars you MUST see the vehicles first. You need to see how bad the overspray is or maybe how light it is.

I did some research as well because it seems like a classic third-party scam where I don't get paid, but seems to check out.
    Run any contact info you can get through Skynet. See what pops up.

If it is legit and after inspecting the cars you decide to go forward, ask for a 25% deposit up front.

As far as how to remove it, I'm with finding a solvent that will dissolve the paint overspray without harming the car paint or other exterior surfaces, rubber, vinyl trim etc. There was a recent thread on this forum, like in the last week or few weeks with a similar question. I think it was about removing HOUSE PAINT off a car.

My recommendation was to check with the painter and find out what kind of paint they used and then ask the painter what he used to clean his tools after painting. The hard world could already be done for you.

Worse case scenario - get an AGGRESSIVE Clay - like the Meguiar's Aggressive Clay in their Professional line. I have found finer clays and even all the rubber clay substitutes won't cut it, (no pun intended), when it comes to removing substantial paint overspray. Somewhere on this forum I shared the back story where I tried everything to get black overspray paint off a classic white Mercedes-Benz SL 500 for some Wolfgang videos we made recently and after trying multiple approaches the ONLY thing that worked, (mechanically), was the Meguiar's Aggressive Clay.

In fact - it was such a memory jogger and eye-opener that it led me to structure and teach this class this year at Mobile Tech Expo

1:00pm to 1:50pm

4: Detailing Clay vs Detailing Clay Mitts, Towels & Pads – Differences & Benefits

See the Meguiar's Aggressive Clay on the table?

Some people think clay mitts, towels and pads are the best way to remove above surface bonded contaminants like overspray paint and industrial fallout. Some people think they are the fastest way to mechanically decontaminate paint. But that’s not always true.

Detailing clay was introduced to the U.S. market in the early 1990s and it’s still just as an effective and important tool in your detailing arsenal today as it was 30 years ago.

In this class you will learn when detailing clay is the best choice and when clay substitutes are the best choice. You will also learn time and money saving techniques to use with each option. The final end-results always START with a great foundation to build upon. Learn why to never skip the mechanical decontamination step and the fundamental law of car detailing – gloss comes from a smooth surface.

If this wasn't the real-deal I would never have taught it as a class in front of usually 100+ people.

This last MTE was a lot of fun, all my classes were either standing room only or well-attended. Starting to wonder if there will be a MTE in Orlando in 2021? The Las Vegas MTE was cancelled this week.

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. I did research the company based out of Iowa and they do exist as a water tower painting company. A company rep called me yesterday who must be working locally and informed me of the issue and would put the owners in touch with me. I have an appointment with one owner this morning to inspect his Chrysler 300 and finalize a price. I have not heard from the other yet. By no means am I the cheapest in town. There is a dealership and a car wash that are 40-60% cheaper than me. I asked him why he chose me and was informed because I had tar removal listed on my website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike.

I did research

The most important step.

Keep us updated.

Post Thanks / Like

I met the owner of the black Chrysler 300 with white paint spatter/speckles on everything. All 4 sides, top, glass, tail lights.... the city has been over there and taken pictures, and the water tower that was painted is right across the street in the field. I'll get the car tomorrow morning and get to work. Some specks came off with my fingernail, others would not. He had a local body shop try 3 different compounds and the paint wouldn't come off. The clear coat is delaminating in a couple spots and looks like it's been in an accident at some point. He even pointed out on the right front quarter panel where the black paint didn't cover the primer under the clear. And..... he took it through an automatic car wash this morning (which must be a regular thing) because the paint is swirled and scratched to crap which only gives paint a "tooth" to bind to. There's another person that has a Chevy Avalanche that got it as well but haven't heard from them yet. Giddy up. Worst case scenario, I have to remove with 3000 or 5000 grit if it's really bound to the substrate.

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed an estimate to the industrial paint company, and he informed me there are two more vehicles the city has notified him of with names of who will be in touch. Good learning experience and this will also be a learn one-teach one as my friend is going to help out.

Post Thanks / Like

You got this Mike. Post pics when you get chance
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.