autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mike Phillips

Re: Mold-like stains on plastic around dash air vents

Just to clarify for anyone reading this into the future... note the portions I turned bold and red

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Because you've already tried a number of things that I too would have tried with no or ZERO effect - this leads me to believe the surface has undergone a physical change where the material has been physically altered.

By this I mean, the surface material has been stained via the mold and it's physically altered it's appearance or pigment.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock32542 View Post

Sincere Thanks for mailing the product samples.

Unfortunately, I think you were correct earlier, these are overspray stains and not mold.

Yeah - I never said they were OVERSPRAY stains. To me, when the word "overspray" is used, most people think of some type of PAINT overspray. That's not what I wrote and never what I meant.

What I said was I think the MOLD or MILDEW, (whatever it is that is causing the "spots" on your Corvette's dash), are STAINS CAUSED by the MOLD or MILDEW.

We see this in boats. Sometimes the mold or mildew, if not addressed soon enough, will not only GROW on a vinyl surface but will permanently ALTER the material and permanently STAIN the material. The resulting discoloration is IN the vinyl not just on the vinyl and nothing you wipe onto it will under the discoloring of the material. And this is also what I said in one of my posts,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Because you've already tried a number of things that I too would have tried with no or ZERO effect - this leads me to believe the surface has undergone a physical change where the material has been physically altered.

By this I mean, the surface material has been stained via the mold and it's physically altered it's appearance or pigment.

At this point I'd say the last hope would be to try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's my initial thoughts....

And because a picture tells a thousand words - here's the picture showing the stain spots on the dash of the Corvette.

Just wanted to clarify.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm also wondering if it could be that whatever it is has stained the pores of the plastic, in which case perhaps a hair dryer to warm it up and open up the pores and then a cleaner of choice would work.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify, I chimed in on this thread Mike Phillips. I said that they looked very much like product overspray in my experience so that’s where that came from. Depending on the product being an aerosol or lotion the propellant or suntan lotion for example will react. It very much looks like a WD40 stain which I have seen before when it comes in contat with plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

To clarify, I chimed in on this thread Mike Phillips. I said that they looked very much like product overspray in my experience so that’s where that came from. Depending on the product being an aerosol or lotion the propellant or suntan lotion for example will react. It very much looks like a WD40 stain which I have seen before when it comes in contact with plastic.
    Gotcha. Thanks for clarify. It's hard for me to always re-read an entire thread. Heck I'm still going through new questions directed at me in this forum group since last Friday and then typing out answers.

The way I read the thread starter's post is that he though I said it was overspray and I just wanted to make sure no took that away from the thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123