autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mike Phillips

Re: 1973 Lotus Europa oxidized original paint

Continued.....

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, not sure if you're familiar with the SwissVax family of waxes but they have one made for nitrocellulose paint. I wonder if there's any merit to a product like that for a car like this?
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post

Hey Mike, not sure if you're familiar with the SwissVax family of waxes but they have one made for nitrocellulose paint.

I wonder if there's any merit to a product like that for a car like this?
    The only way to know would be to have a car in the exact condition as all the cars over the past 11 years that have been shared on this forum - saved by the #7 Rub Down Technique - and then do a TEST SPOT after the final #7 polish using the wax in question and LOOKING to see if it

Dulled the paint down
    Kept it the same
    Made it darker and richer in color

It will be one of the above three outcomes and as the Lotus owners stated in this thread, so far except for the wood furniture wax, everything else including compounds and polishes have dulled the results of the #7

A great idea for a test - you just need all the right conditions and of course the right car and all the right prep work. Then of course the wax to test.

Sure would be a bummer to do all the steps and then test the wax only to find out it dulled the paint down.

Mike Phillips

More...

Here's a video I made showing,

1. The secret slot
    2. How to break in a can of M16
    3. How to get the wax out of the can
    4. How to apply the wax
    5. How to inspect our towel
    6. How to remove the wax

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Thanks for posting his photos. Looks like it came out fairly well. I’m surprised you didn’t tell him to use CleanBright Liquid Ebony on it

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike and Wilisports3,

Thank you for all your help. I am so tickled with the results. A friend who helped me before, when the car was just a body shell, saw it today and couldn't believe the paint was brought back to life.

Like I said in my very first post, Meguiar's help desk didn't think it could be done by hand.

I ordered a certificate of provenance from Lotus and the paint code is L12 Lagoon Blue Metallic.

Thank you again, you have a wonderful Website and Forum and thank you for all your wisdom and advice.

7. Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That car looks absolutely amazing!!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

L12 means it's nitrocellulose paint. That's why all the other waxes before hand didn't work, the nitrocellulose paint was just absorbing all the oil from them so no shine. Number 7 is so oily that it kept the shine on the paint. The furniture wax was designed with nitrocellulose finishes in mind. I would start looking at dedicated nitrocellulose paint care products, well done. It looks like two completely different cars from start to finish.

2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rjbaren View Post

Hey Mike and Wilisports3,

Thank you for all your help. I am so tickled with the results.

A friend who helped me before, when the car was just a body shell, saw it today and couldn't believe the paint was brought back to life.
    Love hearing stories like this.

Like I said in my very first post, Meguiar's help desk didn't think it could be done by hand.
    I'm sure they are well-intentioned.

The thing is, the ONLY way to help others do a "thing" is to have done the thing yourself. When it comes to restoring antique and single stage paint, this is simply a passion of mine and it's been very rewarding over the years to help folks like yourself figure out how to use this product that's been around since the time of the Model T.

I ordered a certificate of provenance from Lotus and the paint code is L12 Lagoon Blue Metallic.
    Very cool. That will be nice to have for yourself and for the next caretaker of this car down the road. For those that are curios, this thread on LotusTalk.com shares what the Certificate of Provenance is,

Lotus Certificate of Provenance

Thank you again, you have a wonderful Website and Forum and thank you for all your wisdom and advice.
    Well Autogeek pays the bills, me? I just know how to type and am a part of their Customer Service Team.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234