autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions for Mike

Mike,

Two quick questions for you:

1) Clay Mitt / Towel--I see a Blackfire, Cobra, and Nano skin. Which do you recommend and why?

2) My brother has a 2017 Mastercraft X23. I plan to help him wax from the waterline up later this year. Looking to wax/protect, and give it shine. Gel coat is in great shape. No hazing/fading, no scratches, a little bit of light water spots. What product do you recommend and what pad to apply it? I'll be using a G9 with either a 5 or 6 backing plate.

Many thanks for all that you do, and for 11 years!

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions for Mike

You missed one of the best options in the website, the Speed Master line for either their towel or the mitt. They have a kit with both at a great price.

Speed Master Clay Towel

He just did a video on prepping car for polish and talked about this starting at time 46-minute and forward. It will help you in your questions, and the towel he grabs is the Speed Shine towel.

This will help and of course as Mike comes back online he can explain more!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

This will help and of course as Mike comes back online he can explain more!

Thank you Kirby!

It's the 13th and I'm back.

Offline - July 1st through July 13th - Please hold down the Cyber Fort

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mpbarga View Post

Mike,

Two quick questions for you:

1) Clay Mitt / Towel--I see a Backfire, Cobra, and Nano skin. Which do you recommend and why?

I would tend to go with the Speed Master Towel. I'm pretty sure it's the least expensive and they all to the same thing.

I tend to use the towels over the mitts and the pads because I can fold them and hold them easily and when needed they can be folded or used in a way to work thin, tight or intricate panels.

If you look at a lot of my write-ups you'll see me using an ultra fine grade detailing clay.

Here's just one example,

Review: 3D Wipe Panel Wipe for Ceramic Coatings - 2009 Porsche Carrera S 997.2

See the box of clay in front of the glass cleaner and the orange LC Hybrid pads?

2) My brother has a 2017 Mastercraft X23. I plan to help him wax from the waterline up later this year. Looking to wax/protect, and give it shine. Gel coat is in great shape. No hazing/fading, no scratches, a little bit of light water spots. What product do you recommend and what pad to apply it? I'll be using a G9 with either a 5 or 6 backing plate.

Many thanks for all that you do, and for 11 years!

Matt
    Thanks Matt, 11 years just flew by....

The marine environment is HARSH. So when using waxes and sealants, frequent application really helps out. Besides that, a gel-coat ceramic coating is in my opinion the way to go.

But to answer your question. Even though the surface looks good - I would tend to want to use something that had some cleaning ability just to ensure anything on the surface is removed and of course the finish will get polished at the same time.

If it were me? I would use the BLACKFIRE One Step, which is a one-step cleaner/wax or technically a cleaner/sealant because it uses synthetic ingredients for protection, not a any natural wax.

Here's the link - I use this for so many things, it is really a nice product.

BLACKFIRE One Step 32 oz.

While "yes" it's sold as a product for cars and thus car paint - it will work on dang near anything. Trailers, RVs, Planes, Trains, Kitchen Counter Tops, boats....

Topping

Then for added protection, I would top it with a non-cleaning sealant. For this I'd go with the BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax 32 ounce

This is also a car product but on clean boat paint or clean boat gel-coat it will bond and work great.

PLUS - you can then use both of those products on your cars, trucks, suvs, motorcycles, etc.

And "yes" get both products in the quart size bottle. After you use them one time you will love them and you might as well get the better deal via cost-per-ounce.

Then in the future - anytime you see Autogeek run a great sale, the the 20% or 25% off or the 30% off - order another bottle.

5. Likes Binger2560 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! I'll pick up a Speed Master towel.

Glad to hear I can use a car All in One on the boat. I have a sample of One step. About a month ago I ordered a bottle of Wolfgang Uber All in One. Will that work ok? I've seen some issues of dusting & concerns about ease of removal, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I am planning on using it soon on my son's BMW 328 with an orange pad to see how it works for me. On the boat, should I use a Uro Fiber or a orange or white pad with my G9?

Many thanks.

Matt

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike! I'll pick up a Speed Master towel.

Glad to hear I can use a car All in One on the boat. I have a sample of One step. About a month ago I ordered a bottle of Wolfgang Uber All in One. Will that work ok? I've seen some issues of dusting & concerns about ease of removal, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I am planning on using it soon on my son's BMW 328 with an orange pad to see how it works for me.

To be honest - it's been a while since I used the Wolfgang Uber All in One. Here's my last and only review for this product.

One-Step Hologram Removal and DONE!

It definitely has some correction ability. I think I remember the wipe-off was a tick on the difficult side but I would have to revisit to know for sure.

The review above is from October of 2014 - so that's 6+ years ago. It's possible there's been a rolling formula change that I don't know about. A rolling change is when a product is updated without any fan fair about it in some cases there's a promotion to announce there's been a formula change. I just don't know offhand.

Because you already have some - I would use it. Do your normal Test Spot, make sure you're getting the results you hope and dream about in one small area and if it looks good - repeat the process over the entire boat/car.

If you find it wipes off hard, simply work smaller sections.

NORMALLY with any wax or sealant you want to let it DRY before you wipe it off. This is because there's some magic that takes place during the drying process that leaves the protection ingredients behind - bonded to the surface. If you buff and then wipe off - you more than likely just wiped everything off. This is why I'm NOT a fan of WOWO waxes and sealants. I use WOWO waxes and sealants but I let the DRY.

I'm pretty sure Wolfgang Fuzion is a WOWO wax but I always let it dry before wiping it off. It still wipes off easy and in my brain I "think" I'm leaving more protection behind. This is where having access to the chemist that make products is a real plus because I can get REAL information and share it with everyone while not compromising trade secrets.

Here's a recent car I used the Wolfgang Fuzion on,

Review: Wolfgang Concours-Series Microfiber Towels - 1988 Porsche 928 s4

On the boat, should I use a Uro Fiber or a orange or white pad with my G9?

Many thanks.

Matt
    I would want and hope to use a foam pad. Fibers are a form of abrasive. This means the "potential" for micro-marring is present anytime you use a fiber pad of any type or design. You get more cut with any type of fiber pad the down side is the cut is from the individual fibers and this leads to micro-marring when used with orbital polishers.

You can START with fiber pads to get more cut and thus more correction and then follow with foam (foam has a uniform surface texture the opposite of individual fibers), to remove any micro-marring.

A Test Spot and close inspection should tell you which path to follow.

8. Likes Thomkirby liked this post