autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratch Repair possibilities

Thanks I am going to wash, clay, and buff with Blackfire one step and see how it turns out. Of course I'll do a test area first. It is a daily driver or in my case since I'm retired whenever I use the truck. I just got this from a lease return with pretty low mileage. I got a great deal and knew it wasn't going to be perfect. Many people who lease don't do anything to those vehicles since they are going to return them. I am going to bring it back to as good as new as possible and actually add some protection to the paint. I have no doubt it will look pretty good when I'm done.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tae111 View Post

Thanks I am going to wash, clay, and buff with Blackfire one step and see how it turns out.

Cool. You'll need some sunglasses to look at your truck when you're done.

3. Thanks tae111 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First time using the DA or any machine really. Hit the problem areas with the Griots 3" drill kit and cutting pad. Did anyone say splatter? Went back over with the DA then wax. Came out pretty good for a virgin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scratch Repair possibilities-tn_20200718_171150-jpg   Scratch Repair possibilities-tn_20200718_171248-jpg  

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! As for the splatter it’s a result of too much product, lifting the pad while in motion or getting product on the outside edge of pad. The few times I use the drill attachment I rub the product into the pad and it won’t splatter

Is that a long bed?

7. Thanks tae111 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that's the long bed. Amazingly hard to find. Seem like everyone ordered the short bed with these trucks.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tae111 View Post

First time using the DA or any machine really.

Hit the problem areas with the Griots 3" drill kit and cutting pad. Did anyone say splatter?

Went back over with the DA then wax. Came out pretty good for a virgin.

Yeah - the "Drill Kit" is basically the same as using a ROTARY BUFFER and that's what happens with rotary buffers - they tend to sling splatter dots everywhere. Once you get some expereince you figure out how to prevent that.

Truck looks good!

After this - do you still feel like re-doing the touch-up paint areas?

OR

Drive it like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably not going to re-do the touch up areas. The only one that is noticeable is the one just above the drivers side headlight. In the future I might try filling that with a little more touch up paint and clear coat then 3000 grit wet sand and compound and polish. Or maybe I might just let it be. Depends on how much it bugs me down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though when I got the truck it was pretty shiny it really looks almost factory new now. Maybe even better.

Mike Phillips

More....

Here's a how-to article written by a guy named richy.

[QUOTE=The Guz;1682777]

Sad to say - all his pictures are missing in the article so it's not as much help as when the pictures were visible. This is the problem when people use PHOTOBUCKET. I probably have 3, 4 maybe 5 articles on why NOT to use Photobucket but hey - no one listens or takes what I have to say in these articles serious. As you read through ANY forum you'll find post after post with missing Photobucket pictures.

Sad.

I'm happy to say that my contribution to his article is still there in post #28 of page 3 and what I wrote is still just as accurate today as when I wrote it.

Couple of comments to anyone ever attempting to do this kind of repair...

1. When possible, let the paint dry longer. You want the touch up paint as dry and hard as possible before you start sanding and buffing on it.

The problem you can run into when you start buffing on touch-up paint is when you warm it up, especially when using a rotary buffer, you can actually pull the touch-up paint right out of the scratch or rock chip if you're attempting to do this to a rock chip. Then you're back to where you started only now you've got sanding marks in the surrounding paint.

2. Touch-up paint will always be softer than the factory paint surrounding the repair, here's how this affects the buffing process. When you go to buff out your sanding marks, they will buff out quickly and easily out of the touch-up paint because this paint is softer, especially if it's only dried a short time. The surrounding paint will be harder and thus it will be harder or more difficult to remove your sanding marks out 100%

It's easy to sand paint as at it's core that's putting scratches into the paint... the tricky part is getting the ALL out...

When doing touch-up repair work on clear coat paints, what I've seen and experienced is the sanding marks come out of the touch-up paint quickly and easily but not so with the factory clear.

So what a person does is continue buffing the sanding marks in the surrounding clear paint and what happens is you heat the panel up and your buffing pad will literally pull the touch-up paint out of the scratch or chip.

3. You really need a rotary buffer to remove sanding marks 100%

Can you do it with a DA or Flex or even Cyclo? Sure but it will take longer. Again the sanding marks will come out of the touch-up paint quickly and easily, it's the surrounding factory baked-on clear coat that you'll need to be concerned with.

Try to finish sand with #3000 or higher before buffing.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Chemical Guy's VRP for the trim and tires. First time trying that. I really like how it has a more natural look. We'll see how it hold up but so far I like it better than anything I have used before.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast