autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A Couple Finishing Polish Suggestions?

Hi Mike,

I'll try to make my question brief. I have great success with Pinnacle ASR, Meguiars 205, and 3D Speed for swirl removal AND finishing with my Makita 9227 (I know, I know, I need to purchase a Flex Beast). With nearly every clear coated vehicle, I can apply wax after using these products because they finish out so well. Recently, I've worked on a couple early '90s F150's with single stage paint that gave me fits with the products above and my rotary. I just couldn't get the paint to finish out without holograms...my "system" failed me, lol! Short of purchasing a DA polisher, is there a finishing polish or two you like with single stage paints and a rotary machine?

I've worked on dozens of dark colored single stage vehicles before, so this isn't my first single stage rodeo, but these last couple trucks left me pretty frustrated. Typically, I can finish out with Meguiars 205 or ASR at a nice slow speed, with pretty breathtaking results. This darn Ford paint has me searching for some other options prior to applying wax. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jeff in Wisconsin

Mike Phillips

Re: A Couple Finishing Polish Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by tidmack View Post

Short of purchasing a DA polisher, is there a finishing polish or two you like with single stage paints and a rotary machine?

If I were in your position - I would simply purchase an orbital polisher an us it to finish out.

I don't believe in finishing out with rotary buffers. I believe they always leave holograms scratches it's just for a number of reason "our" eyes cannot see them.

I great entry level polisher that is ALWAYS a great follow-up to any rotary work is the simple Porter Cable 7424XP. Plus - you can use it with all your existing products and also apply waxes and sealants with it.

Mike Phillips

If you're set on finishing out with a rotary only, you have great products, consider these pads.

CarPro 5.5 inch Gloss Pad

CarPro 6.5 inch Gloss Pad

I think they are the softest pads I've ever used.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, as far back as when you were with Meguiar's, I've always appreciated your willingness to share your favorite products. Thank you for the tip on the CarPro pads. I have access to a PC 7424 and I'll give it a try. I seem to recall a discussion years back about obtaining better results with smaller pads on the PC? I feel like folks (possibly you included) felt like the machine had better rotation with smaller pads. If that's the case, I'll definitely go with the 5.5" pads. Have a fantastic day and thank you for getting back in touch. I have ANOTHER single stage vehicle coming up, so I'll be sure to report back in the coming weeks with some photos. Take care,

Jeff