autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pulling out at Green Peter Reservoir circa 2001 - 1970 Sanger Drag Boat 1969 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post

111 mph is Incredibly fast on the water.
    And the time it takes to get there is a few seconds. Because this is a full race V-drive drag boat - there is no neutral, at least not like a normal boat. There's in-gear and out-of-gear and with my V-drive you could not put it into gear with the engine running. Normal protocol was to launch the boat then fire the engine up with the V-drive out-of-gear.

Then let the engine warm up for about 5 minutes. A Big Block Chevy is a LOT of CAST IRON and you need the block (as well as all the internals), to warm up before you do things like smash down the accelerator pedal. My engine builder, Tim Briggs told me with a high volume oil pump, (I ran a high volume, not a high pressure pump), if you accelerate when the oils is cold you could snap-off the tab on the oil pump or the slot on the oil pump shaft. For this reason, I always let the engine completely warm up before getting it on.

You have to know, this type of boat draws or sucks water out of the lake or river from a fitting on the underside of the hull. The water pump circulates the lake water through the engine and it exits out the side of the boat somewhere. This location varies depending on the brand, model and design. Most of the boats I've seen the water exits out the back. On my Sanger, there was 2 water outlets, one on each side of the boat. You can see the water flying out of the boat in this picture of me racing the boat.

So because the lake water in Oregon where I ran my boat was COLD and unlike a car where the water circulates in a closed system, you need to wait until the cast iron block gets good and warm before you take the boat out and start hammering on it because it takes a little longer to warm her up due to constant cold water circulating through the block.

Make sense?

What I would do is simply place my hand on the side of the block or hold onto the Indy Champ air scoop and walk to the back of the boat and feel the water coming out of the side of the boat. Not a big deal to wait when you're sitting in a title holding drag boat on a sunny day on the lake.

Also - this is interesting - because of the VOLUME of air being drawn down the Weiand Tunnel Ram with the dual 660 Holley Center Quitters - the sides of the tunnel ram would actually be really cold - almost iced over cold.

Here you can see the Tunnel Ram with the Holley Carbs and the Indy scoop.

Note the 4" stainless steel extensions between the top of the carbs and the base of the scoop?

Here's the sides of the intake or the tunnels - after blasting across the lake at over 100 miles per hour you could put your hand on this area and it would be freezing cold due the volume of air running through it.

When I bought the boat, it still had the original "barrel back" seats in it BUT the backs, where they bolt to the bottom of the seats, had been broken off and re-bolted on so many times and in so many places from the hard acceleration there was simply no good places to re-attach bolts. For this reason, I has the custom high-back bucket seats custom built. If you ever see a boat like mine anywhere, on the water or in pictures - LOOK at the seats. I've NEVER seen another race boat with high back bucket seats.

I has the seat builder install a custom piece of metal my buddy Eric whipped up to lock the backs to the bottoms so when I smashed down the accelerator pedal the backs of the seats couldn't simply break off.

Being a true race boat, my Sanger had 3 pedals.

1. Accelerator Pedal
    2. Cavitation Plate UP Pedal
    3. Cavitation Plate DOWN Pedal

The Cavitation Plate is the flat sheet of aluminum you see on the back of the boat.

Here's context for the Cavitation Plate - you can also see the original low-back or Barrel Back seats.

The UP pedal pulls the cavitation plate upward and this means ZERO drag and nose up flying.

The DOWN pedal pushes the cavitation plate downward and creates drag and this pushes the nose of the boat down and also acts like a BRAKE, which slows the boat down.

When racing, the cavitation plate is in the up position and you only "feather" the down pedal if and when you feel the bow lifting too much. If you catch too much wind you will KITE the boat. And "yes", that's exactly what you think it is.

This is a kite flying in the wind...

This is okay - this is normal. This is controlled flying.... At high speed, my Sanger would come out of the water like this all the time. You hold on, prepare for touching down and keep the pedal to floor.

This is bad, really bad. This is kiting a boat.

I kited my boat one time on Foster Reservoir. My boat came completely out of the water. like you see in the picture above but not completely straight up. I though I was going to flip over but after hanging in the air for what seemed like eternity - the boat plopped back down on the water.

The engine over revved when the prop came out of the water and spun 7 RODS. Needless to say - I had to row her back to the boat launch.

In the 20 years I ran this boat there was only one time I didn't take her over 100 miles per hour. So strong seats were a big deal.

Here's a good shot of them,

I can remember looking down at the floor and watching it flex up n down as I drove while my boss was next to the engine listening for any mis-fires.

The floor on my boat didn't flex but if you through her into a sharp corner at high speed - you bet - look back an the runners and the length of the boat hull would be twisting. The Sanger was designed with this in mind. No big deal. I monitored the hull for STRESS CRACKS every time I pulled her out of the water. None.

My buddy on the shore said we really didn’t have much boat in the water as we zoomed past him. Some things you never forget
    Yeah - controlled flying or some would say a controlled accident.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

My memory betrays me, but that is not the boat that took your leg, is it Mike?

Yes. When I was 26 years-old in 1986. It was a Saturday, July 31st, super hot day and we were down on the Willamette River in Albany, Oregon. I hated taking my boat to the river because you always have to fight the current. Not a big deal if you have a normal boat with a neutral and reverse. My boat had Go and No Go and in order to GO you had to turn the engine off, reach down between the back of the seats, turn the drive shaft over while putting just a tiny bit of pressure on the V-driver handle until you cold feel the gears mesh-up and the handle drop and then you're good to go. Fire up the engine an PUNCH IT.

I've thought about getting another Sanger Drag Boat but they're really only fun in clean, non-salt, fresh water and we don't have any of that here in South Florida.

2. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pulling out at Green Peter Reservoir circa 2001 - 1970 Sanger Drag Boat 1969 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4

That boat was bad ass Mike. Same for the Blazer pulling it.

I dont blame you on not running it under 100. Every time you get in a boat like that you send it!

Thanks for taking time out of your day and filing us in and a nice story to go along with it. Enjoyed the read.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said I would have loved at ride in that rocket. I spent 15 years rebuilding boat engines (only outboards though, pistons, rods, etc) . And couldn’t wait to break those new ones in. My boss and another mechanic specialized in those big blocks. That is one mean block on that boat. My Cobalt IO has a 8.1 liter, dual prop, Volvo outdrive. It moves but nothing like what you had. Mike you need a boat,of some sort
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic pics and loved the story! While not a boat person I enjoy the time you took to 'just chat' with us.

While in the service I was stationed at Twentynine Palms I became good friends with a GS civilian. He had what I refer to as a bullet boat with a big block 427 and straight pipes we used to take to Lake Mead. I remember a few things, one it was maybe the loudest thing I'd ever heard (other than 6 F-4s in afterburner taking off at the same time when I happened to be close to the end of the runway while in Vietnam) and it was beyond fast. Like someone mentioned speed on water is a completely different sensation than fast on land.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you have that truck when you moved to Stuart? I think you had something large and red and General Motors at Detail Fest many years ago, but was not sure it was the same truck.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post

Did you have that truck when you moved to Stuart?

I think you had something large and red and General Motors at Detail Fest many years ago, but was not sure it was the same truck.
    That was a 1975 Jimmy.

I've owned 3 full convertible Blazers and 1 full convertible Jimmy. The full convertibles, that is the hard top would un-bolt and lift off from the top of the windshield all the way to the tailgate, were made from 1969 to 1975. Starting in 1976 the Blazer and Jimmy came with a sold roof and the top unbolted from the back of this half-roof to the back of the tailgate. So the 1969 to 1975 models are considered FULL convertibles.

Here's a timeline I wrote showing the 1975 Jimmy from the time I purchased it with a 4-speed transmission, (I can't drive stick-shift cars due to my artificial leg), to the time I swapped it to an automatic and also removed the small block and installed a 468 Big Block Chevy.

1975 Jimmy Timeline

I actually tracked down the VERY RARE half-cab hard tops

The below picture was taken at Johnson Valley Dry Lake Beds, which is about 15 miles out of a small desert town called Lucurne which is a small town on the way to Big Bear Lake in the high California Desert. For reference, Renny Doyle lives in Big Bear Lake.

When I was still stuck in Southern California I wanted to give the truck a "Surfer Image" and built some aluminum brackets to hold some 9' surf boards.

Here you can see the dual surf board brackets,

I don't have a lot of pictures of both surf boards on the Jimmy but here's one,

Pretty much anything I've owned or built I've stuffed a big block Chevy into it. I like turning wrenches on my own stuff. Here's some pictures from my own truck project where I rebuilt the brakes and I have to say, I've NEVER seen a set of brakes so full of mud and sand like these brakes on a 1-Ton 14 Bolt Corporate Rearend.

From this...

To this....

And here's what I found out about myself, while I really like turning wrenches and take a lot of satisfaction in doing this type of work all by myself, I really prefer the paint polishing segment of this industry.

8. Likes Thomkirby, mc2hill liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mdbenge View Post

Fantastic pics and loved the story! While not a boat person I enjoy the time you took to 'just chat' with us.
    Love to reminisce.... miss that boat and the Blazers...

While in the service I was stationed at Twentynine Palms I became good friends with a GS civilian.
    Thank you for your service to our country.

He had what I refer to as a bullet boat with a big block 427 and straight pipes we used to take to Lake Mead. I remember a few things, one it was maybe the loudest thing I'd ever heard (other than 6 F-4s in afterburner taking off at the same time when I happened to be close to the end of the runway while in Vietnam) and it was beyond fast.

Like someone mentioned speed on water is a completely different sensation than fast on land.

I like the name - Bullet Boat!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12