autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When coarse isn't enough

I was trying to include a pic but when I try to upload it, I get an error (generic upload failed).

Anyway, the tailgate on my truck has some DEEP scratches, which I can't get out with my Rupes polisher using the coarsest (blue) pad and product. I'm guessing I would have to wet sand the area?

If someone can help with with pics I can upload what I am working with.

Lastly, the area has curves which makes the Rupes Bigfoot polisher tough to use in the area. I switched to my Rupes Mini (blue pad etc) and it doesn't have the Power of the big guy, so it doesn't get out the scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When coarse isn't enough

How are you uploading the photos? To the gallery via a PC? If so they may be too large. I have to re-size every picture I upload into the gallery due to the size restrictions. This problem can be avoided if you do it via the TapaTalk app on a phone or tablet.

As for the scratches, if they are too deep they might not be worth chasing. You could easily remove too much/all the clear coat in the area around them and just make the problem bigger. I had this issue when working on my father-in-laws tailgate. He parked too close to the garage door and when closing it one day one of the braces scraped along the surface from top to bottom. I was able to polish/compound out a majority of the damage, but there was a point when it just wasn't worth it to try and correct any further.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Thanks mrasmussen thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to upload the file straight from my computer, the error just said failed, didn't say why, at least I didn't see it. Might be the size. I then tried to use a URL for Flickr and that didn't work either.

I'll look into the TapaTalk app.

I think you may be correct with the deeper scratches. I don't want to remove the clearcoat.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Changed the file size, let's see if this works.

When coarse isn't enough-tailgatepaintsmall-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

If they are deep enough the nail catches, then it's too deep to correct.
    If they are not that deep yet but still pretty deep, wet sanding is necessary but you have to think if it's worth removing that much clear coat. What type of vehicle is this? A daily driver or a garage queen?
    If the foam pad can't remove it but you don't think sanding is necessary, try microfiber or wool pad with heavy compound, that might remove or significantly improve it.
    Bruno Soares

7. Thanks mrasmussen thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrasmussen View Post
    Changed the file size, let's see if this works.

When coarse isn't enough-tailgatepaintsmall-jpg
    couple look like they are pretty deep. They are not worth chasing. A fairly effective trick is to spray them with some mild soap and water. The ones that mostly to completely disappear will likely polish out. those that don't are too deep.

I wouldn't wet-sand or lean in too hard with a compound unless you have a Paint Thickness Gauge. Key is to balance out the results that make you happy while still maintaining a fair amount of clear coat to protect or handle UV exposure from the sun. Remember, there's no such thing as removing scratches, you're actually leveling the surround clear coat to reduce or eliminate their appearance.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Thanks mrasmussen thanked for this post
    Likes mbkite liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I do see some lighter scratches that I am going to continue to work on. I am not looking for perfection just looking to clean this truck up as best I can.

I'll post pics after I work on it a bit more. My problem is as stated earlier, the Rupes Mini doesn't have the power of the Rupes LHR21, but the big guy can't really fit well on this Ford F150 tailgate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I do see some lighter scratches that I am going to continue to work on. I am not looking for perfection just looking to clean this truck up as best I can.

I'll post pics after I work on it a bit more. My problem is as stated earlier, the Rupes Mini doesn't have the power of the Rupes LHR21, but the big guy can't really fit well on this Ford F150 tailgate.
    Yep. That's why I love forced rotation like the Flex 3401 or even the Rupes Mille. It never stops spinning and doesn't care where on the car I put it. LOL.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

I was trying to include a pic but when I try to upload it, I get an error (generic upload failed).

Not sure what kind of device you're using? IF a phone then TapaTalk is the best way.

IF a computer, then the most common error is people try to uploaded HUMONGOUS files sizes and we don't allow this as it simply wastes server space. The other most common error is there's a SPACE in the file name. The Internet does not like empty spaces in URL addresses.

I upload hundreds of pictures every week, sometime hundreds in a day. So it is possible.

Anyway, the tailgate on my truck has some DEEP scratches, which I can't get out with my Rupes polisher using the coarsest (blue) pad and product.

When it comes to deep scratches in factory thin paint - might want to read this article,

When to stop buffing - Or - How far should you go to remove swirls and scratches?

Maybe check with your favorite body shop and get a quote to have the tailgate repainted so you know going in what the downside will be if you make a

Whoops!

I'm guessing I would have to wet sand the area?

Be cautios when wetsanding factory paint. Find a Post-it Note and then click the link below and read my article.

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

If someone can help with with pics I can upload what I am working with.
    Email me the pictures and I'll put them in this thread for you.

mike.phillips@autogeek.net

Lastly, the area has curves which makes the Rupes Bigfoot polisher tough to use in the area. I switched to my Rupes Mini (blue pad etc) and it doesn't have the Power of the big guy, so it doesn't get out the scratches.

The experience you're sharing is common with anyone using any brand of free spinning random orbital polishers. That's just how they work. This is also why I rarely use these style of polishers.

I'll be sharing the benefits of using gear-driven orbital in our LIVE video today at 3:00pm

Tuesday June 30th - LIVE Detailing Class - How to do High Quality Production Detailing using Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I'll be sharing the benefits of using gear-driven orbital in our LIVE video today at 3:00pm

Tuesday June 30th - LIVE Detailing Class - How to do High Quality Production Detailing using Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers

^^ is the above going to be recorded and posted on YouTube or anything? I would love to watch it later as I'm not able to at 3pm. I use both the Flex and Rupes and would be interested in this video. Personally, I'm selling my Rupes Mille and staying with Flex. In the end they are proving to be far more reliable. My Rupes is going back for another refurb/once over for $99 or so then I'm going to either sell it or simply keep it as a fall-back back up unit. It will likely be sold though.

The Mille is a great unit but honestly I just don't think it's up to the task as a full on production machine. An enthusiast yes but not one that can run or hang with a Flex. I've yet to see that in the ones I have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast