autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unknown Bubbling in paint

Hi Mike,

First time poster, though i use to few your tutorials and facebook constantly. I have noticed an issue on the roof of of my Corvette with abnormal bubbling.

My car has been garage kept and rarely driven. I try to keep it waxed at a minimum of once a year. Recently I moved and had more space to do a more thorough job.

I started by using Chemical Guys Waterless Car Wash as i had just washed the car several days prior. As I had some scratches on the roof and swirls I used Meguires Detailer Correction Compound kit i purchased from your store a year or so ago. I followed the instruction for light correction by using the supplied DMF disc pad on a porter cable orbital buffer. to help with lubrication i utilized Griots Garage detail spray as it was the only remaining detailer I had left at the time. Applied a small amount and did 2-3 light pressure passes on setting 3. After wiping off the compound I then used Zaino Z2 as the final coat. a day or so after I went out to my car to double check something and noticed these bubbles exclusively on the roof. I am not sure if this was previously there and possibly etching by bird poop. I dont think its water reacting with paint from underneath. Maybe its a chemical reaction from the mixture of products? It appears nowhere else on the car.

Hopefully someone wiser then myself has answers.

Thanks in advance.

Unknown Bubbling in paint-unnamed-5-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unknown Bubbling in paint

By chance has it been repainted? In my experience as a painter it looks like solvent pop. Basically the paint cured too fast on top before everything could gas out properly.

If not that, some unknown aggressive chemical misted or was on the bottom of something that got set on top. It's hard to tell.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    By chance has it been repainted? In my experience as a painter it looks like solvent pop. Basically the paint cured too fast on top before everything could gas out properly.

If not that, some unknown aggressive chemical misted or was on the bottom of something that got set on top. It's hard to tell.

To the best of my knowledge it has not been repainted, then again I am the 5th owner so its always possible. Why I never noticed it before is beyond me. Is there anyway to correct this or are we looking at repaint in the future? Also would using a mixture of products designed for car care cause a reaction of this sort? I only ask, because as stated in the post there was a mixture of manufacturers.

Post Thanks / Like

Not in my experience. The products you used are all designed for the exterior treatment of paint/vehicles so they should all be chemically safe with one another. As for fixing it, if it is solvent pop, you are looking at a repaint. If the master Mike Phillips chimes in, he may have a trick to improve the appearance.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 04VetteZ06 View Post

Hi Mike,

First time poster, though i use to few your tutorials and facebook constantly.
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I have noticed an issue on the roof of of my Corvette with abnormal bubbling.

Here's your picture in a way it's easier for all to see.

My car has been garage kept and rarely driven. I try to keep it waxed at a minimum of once a year. Recently I moved and had more space to do a more thorough job.

I started by using Chemical Guys Waterless Car Wash as i had just washed the car several days prior. As I had some scratches on the roof and swirls I used Meguires Detailer Correction Compound kit i purchased from your store a year or so ago. I followed the instruction for light correction by using the supplied DMF disc pad on a porter cable orbital buffer. to help with lubrication i utilized Griots Garage detail spray as it was the only remaining detailer I had left at the time.

Applied a small amount and did 2-3 light pressure passes on setting 3. After wiping off the compound I then used Zaino Z2 as the final coat. a day or so after I went out to my car to double check something and noticed these bubbles exclusively on the roof.

I am not sure if this was previously there and possibly etching by bird poop.

I don't think its water reacting with paint from underneath. Maybe its a chemical reaction from the mixture of products? It appears nowhere else on the car.

Hopefully someone wiser then myself has answers.

Thanks in advance.

The only time I've seen defects like shown in your pictures is from something that has gone wrong during a repaint.

Those look like tiny bubbles that have come up from under the paint.

The chemicals you use are all completely safe for paint so I don't see how moving them over the surface via wiping or machine buffing could cause defects with this appearance.

Has the car ever been re-painted?

[/QUOTE]

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

By chance has it been repainted? In my experience as a painter it looks like solvent pop.

Basically the paint cured too fast on top before everything could gas out properly.

I agree with all of the above. After pulling up the full size version of the picture and looking at it - my brain instantly thought solvent pop and that's a fresh paint or re-paint issue, not a factory paint issue.

EXCEPT - the defects in the picture look like they are bubbles in the paint.

In my article below that shows solvent pop, they look more like bubbles or voids IN the paint, not on the paint? Here's my article on this topic,

Solvent Popping in Fresh Paint

After inspecting the brand new paint job on the 1928 Model A out in the garage I found at least one place with signs of solvent popping.

Solvent popping is when the reducer, (solvent), which is used to thin the paint to make it sprayable in a paint gun is changing from a liquid to a gas. As this change takes place, the solvent tries to escape and pops through the top film of paint leaving a tiny little crater or what looks like a pin hole.

At least that's the nutshell explanation.

Here's a couple pictures I took to show solvent popping. It is located just above the opening to the rumble seat on this Model A.

For reference, it's just above the handle you see on the top of the rumble seat in the back of the car here,

7. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am far from an expert on this, but Corvettes are fiberglass, and I worked on boats for over 30 years.

Just my first thought, but I have seen this exact phenomenon on painted fiberglass that was overheated by rotary polishing.

I am not familiar with the Meg's Compound Kit you mentioned, but I am a little curious as to why you had to use Griot's "detail spray" to "help with lubrication"?

Could it be that the watering down of the Meg's compound produced just enough extra heat on the fiberglass to bubble the paint?

Again, I am no expert on this. And your description of how you used the PC seems gentle enough. Just throwing an idea out to the AGO masses............
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it only on the roof?
    Z06's from that era had a recall for failing adhesive that required removing and replacing the roof panel, so it possibly could have been repainted by the dealer doing the recall. If you PM me the last 8 digits of your VIN, I can check it out on the GM Dealer Site.

Bill

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I am far from an expert on this, but Corvettes are fiberglass, and I worked on boats for over 30 years.

Just my first thought, but I have seen this exact phenomenon on painted fiberglass that was overheated by rotary polishing.

I am not familiar with the Meg's Compound Kit you mentioned, but I am a little curious as to why you had to use Griot's "detail spray" to "help with lubrication"?

Could it be that the watering down of the Meg's compound produced just enough extra heat on the fiberglass to bubble the paint?

Again, I am no expert on this. And your description of how you used the PC seems gentle enough. Just throwing an idea out to the AGO masses............
    When I was first learning to how to use a buffer and pads i started with the Adams Polish system. The instructional video least back then showed spraying the bad with a little detail spray before setting it down for polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was first learning to how to use a buffer and pads i started with the Adams Polish system. The instructional video least back then showed spraying the bad with a little detail spray before setting it down for polishing.
    Yeah, not unheard of.

Personally though, with today's abrasive technology, I see no reason to prematurely saturate the pad.

Again, I may be way off base here. Just my thoughts on what I see in your pic.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast