autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unknown Bubbling in paint

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Yeah, not unheard of.

    Personally though, with today's abrasive technology, I see no reason to prematurely saturate the pad.

    Again, I may be way off base here. Just my thoughts on what I see in your pic.
    This maybe a self inflicted wound. Its odd that it didnt happen on the hood as its fiberglass as well. And I dont see how I missed it for the past 3 years of ownership. Its just perplexing however that its hasn't happen on any other vehicle Ive had that had fiberglass panels.

  2. #12
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    6,883
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unknown Bubbling in paint

    Quote Originally Posted by 04VetteZ06 View Post
    This maybe a self inflicted wound. Its odd that it didnt happen on the hood as its fiberglass as well. And I dont see how I missed it for the past 3 years of ownership. Its just perplexing however that its hasn't happen on any other vehicle Ive had that had fiberglass panels.
    I agree.

    Very strange indeed.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unknown Bubbling in paint

    Not to plug another forum or anything, but I did a google search and according to the Corvette Forum I guess this happens a lot on the older Vettes that are fiberglass. Seen some post where people had it happen 2 years after a repaint.

    Paint bubble - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

  4. #14
    Senior Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    6,883
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unknown Bubbling in paint

    Interesting......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  5. #15
    Senior Member 57Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    531
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unknown Bubbling in paint

    Quote Originally Posted by 04VetteZ06 View Post
    Not to plug another forum or anything, but I did a google search and according to the Corvette Forum I guess this happens a lot on the older Vettes that are fiberglass. Seen some post where people had it happen 2 years after a repaint.
    FYI, 'Vette bodies have not been strictly fiberglass for a long time, since the intro of the C3.

    C1 & C2 bodies were hand-built, laying the fiberglass out by hand over body part fixtures. Front ends, for example, were made of many pieces thereby requiring bonding seams, which are a bane of owners of these gens of 'Vettes.

    Beginning in '68, GM went to the use of SMC for 'Vette bodies in an effort to reduce labor costs and improve consistency. Also it produced a better surface finish eliminating the need for gelcoat.

    SMC does include fiberglass in its composition, along with resins and other plastic fillers. But over the years the % of fiberglass used in the SMC has gone from about 40% in C3's to only about 15% in the latest gens.

  6. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
  7. #16
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    47,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unknown Bubbling in paint

    Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    FYI, 'Vette bodies have not been strictly fiberglass for a long time, since the intro of the C3.

    C1 & C2 bodies were hand-built, laying the fiberglass out by hand over body part fixtures. Front ends, for example, were made of many pieces thereby requiring bonding seams, which are a bane of owners of these gens of 'Vettes.

    Beginning in '68, GM went to the use of SMC for 'Vette bodies in an effort to reduce labor costs and improve consistency. Also it produced a better surface finish eliminating the need for gelcoat.

    SMC does include fiberglass in its composition, along with resins and other plastic fillers. But over the years the % of fiberglass used in the SMC has gone from about 40% in C3's to only about 15% in the latest gens.

    I knew GM switched over to SMC decades above but the above is some good and meaty information.

    Thank you for sharing.


    Mike Phillips
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member - Certified Detailer - Skills Validated Detailer - IDA Recognized Trainer
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram
    Mike Phillips Detail Training Credentials
    Sign-up for Mike's Tips & Techniques Newsletter


  8. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unknown Bubbling in paint

    I took the car to the local paint and auto body shop to see what they thought. They are almost positive that it is something that reacted under the paint and not any wrong doing on my part. First thing they asked is if the roof had been repainted? The bubbles are definitely under the pain and not just the clear coat. Unfortunately they said they'd have to repaint the whole roof as the material thickness of the paint is unknown. Their 2 cents is that the few spot there are hardly noticeable and that I should wait to see if it gets worse before even considering the repaint. On top of that because my car is a LeMans anniversary edition I would need to track down the a replacement decal set. They advised against me color sanding it or even spot treating those specific spots for the reasons listed above.

  9. Likes Spikey Mike liked this post
  10. #18
    Senior Member 57Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    531
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unknown Bubbling in paint

    Quote Originally Posted by 04VetteZ06 View Post
    I took the car to the local paint and auto body shop to see what they thought. They are almost positive that it is something that reacted under the paint and not any wrong doing on my part. First thing they asked is if the roof had been repainted? The bubbles are definitely under the pain and not just the clear coat. Unfortunately they said they'd have to repaint the whole roof as the material thickness of the paint is unknown. Their 2 cents is that the few spot there are hardly noticeable and that I should wait to see if it gets worse before even considering the repaint. On top of that because my car is a LeMans anniversary edition I would need to track down the a replacement decal set. They advised against me color sanding it or even spot treating those specific spots for the reasons listed above.
    Your body shop gave you sound advice.

  11. Likes Spikey Mike liked this post
  12. #19
    Senior Member 57Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    531
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unknown Bubbling in paint

    After some archival reading, I need to make a correction to my post above about Corvette's use of SMC for body parts.

    While Corvette did switch to SMC on the C3, it was not done until the 1973 model year. What happened in 1968 was a process change that was done to lay the groundwork for the upcoming switch to SMC. In 1968 Corvette began press molding the body parts but they were still made from the traditional fiberglass+resin. This press molding process is similar to what is known as a drawing operation in the metal stamping world where draw dies are used to make things like sinks. A die set, comprised of a draw punch in the upper half of the die and a die cavity in the lower half, is used to form the material. The punch forces the material to flow down in to the cavity which gives/controls the part's final shape. The surface finish of the die cavity also influences the surface finish of the part produced, so these die cavities are highly polished and often nickel plated, etc.

    Press molding should not be confused with vacuum molding which does not use a punch to force the material to flow in to the cavity but rather uses a vacuum to (essentially) "suck" the material in to the cavity.

  13. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unknown Bubbling in paint

    Week later the bubbles seem to be spreading. is it possible moisture has gotten trapped in the fiberglass and is screwing with the adhesion of the paint from within?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. car emblem bubbling from detailing product?
    By RinseWaxRepeat in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-16-2016, 08:24 PM
  2. Unknown paint marks
    By JoshHayes in forum Tricks, Tips and Techniques
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-26-2016, 01:57 AM
  3. Unknown Dots in paint
    By Jet Black in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 08:16 PM
  4. Leather Bubbling?
    By nighthawk7293 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 01:31 AM
  5. Bubbling Clear Coat
    By FPEvo in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 02:49 PM

Members who have read this thread: 62

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» July 2020

S M T W T F S
282930 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1