autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting a brand new car ; what should I use to protect it ??

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    Thanks for the reply .

I'd probably have to give the nod to Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 topped with Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray.

So both these products don't leave any residue on plastic etc ?
    Can they be used in the sun?
    I assume thr crystal mist spray is for extra shine ?
    Does how long with the crystal must last or need to be re applied approximately
    Yes, WGDGPS 3.0 will leave powdery residues behind where not removed and can stain black textured trim.

Not that this is unusual, or makes this somehow a bad product. Basically any wipe on and wipe off product, be it a wax, or sealant will do such.

Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray, I'll say no, very little, if any residues, consider it a detailer spray, but one of the two very best I've ever used in 40 some years of detailing.

Some people, even Mike Phillips like applying many products via machine. With products such as WGDGPS 3.0 I don't. I want to apply by hand, to insure I'm not filling cracks, crevices, and anywhere I don't want that product on, thus I carefully hand apply, and being careful by seams, trim, badges, etc.

WGDGPS 3.0 has to be applied, then sit to cure 40 minutes, or a bit longer, then remove. And removal is so darn easy! Then let air cure after removal for a period of a minimum 12 hours without wetting.

No, I never apply anything, no matter what in the sun and on warm, or hot paint! Regardless of what manufacturers claim. There's only one, or two detailing processes I'll do in sun, and that is interior shampooing on seats or carpeting. And washing and dressing tires.

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If residues, and removal of such are a major issue for you, then simply use the WOWA products I mention earlier on the paint on the entire vehicle.

While they might not offer the last word on extreme high gloss, they both do offer quite good protection, and are so easy to use.

After I spent 2 full days removing residues on my own Father's VW Touareg to eradicate his errors, I've used nothing but Optimum Opti-Seal on it ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    If residues, and removal of such are a major issue for you, then simply use the WOWA products I mention earlier on the paint on the entire vehicle.

While they might not offer the last word on extreme high gloss, they both do offer quite good protection, and are so easy to use.

After I spent 2 full days removing residues on my own Father's VW Touareg to eradicate his errors, I've used nothing but Optimum Opti-Seal on it ever since.

I ll use this wofgang and just be careful of symbols and plastic trim and jams

How often should the crystal mist be reapplied?
    Should i use the opti seal or the wg ext trim sealant for grill and front plastics?
    Do Use blackfire protectant on the leather also ?

What do u recommend for the following:
    Rim selant
    Wheel and tire cleaner
    Car wash

Thx !

Post Thanks / Like

I ll use this wofgang and just be careful of symbols and plastic trim and jams

How often should the crystal mist be reapplied?
    Should i use the opti seal or the wg ext trim sealant for grill and front plastics?
    Do Use blackfire protectant on the leather also ?

What do u recommend for the following:
    Rim selant
    Wheel and tire cleaner
    Car wash

Thx !
    I'll try answering your last questions one by one.

A rim Sealant-Protectant. WGDGPS 3.0 will work fine.

Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Many like Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner. It is a concentrate and can be diluted. I've never used it, but many say it's a very good product. Sometimes I just simply use LA's Totally Awesome APC bought at Dollar Tree, a $1 a qt of concentrate. I might dilute it slightly for use on wheels-tires, and it works fine.

Car Wash Shampoo. I myself like Duragloss 901 Shampoo. It is inexpensive, works well, nice suds, and nice cherry fragrance. I buy it here by the gallon when I need it, and when the good sales are happening.

Probably nothing at all wrong with the Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo-Wash. I've used such years ago with no notable problems that I can recall.

As far as how often can Crystal Mist be applied, and re-applied? I'd say no harm or foul after a wash.
    As I mentioned in a private message to you, Crystal Mist is merely an excellent Detailer Spray is all. It wasn't really designed as a durable protectant, but will help maintain gloss and slickness after an application of whatever you wish using first, and in the particular case we were talking about, WGDGPS 3.0.

Wofgang Exterior Trim Sealant is more specifically designed for textured plastic trim. For high gloss Trim, Carbon Fiber Trim, then WGDGPS 3.0 will work just fine.

The WOWA products I mention that are made by Optima and Ultima are really great for Door Jambs because they'll leave zero powdery residues which can be a bear to then remove in Door Jambs, inner Trunk-Hood Panels.

Apply thinly with an applicator, let sit 5-10 minutes, and come behind with a clean MF Towel, done!

Post Thanks / Like

Confused which to get for the door jams , metal grill and plastics ?
    Which will last longer optiseal or ulitma paint guard plus?

Mike Phillips

Confused which to get for the door jams , metal grill and plastics ?

Which will last longer optiseal or ulitma paint guard plus?

How long anything lasts depends on how the surface is "touched" after application.

When it comes down to maintaining a scratch and swirl free finish - it all comes down to how you touch the paint - Mike Phillips

If I had to choose between the two? I'd go Optimum Polymer Technologies Opti-Seal.

Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus!

I have a personal and working relationship with the owner of the company who is also the head chemist and I know from our interactions and friendship over the years he's the real deal when it comes to chemistry. I'm not saying the chemist at Ultima are not the real-deal, I just don't have the same relationship to with them.

Read my article here,

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Dr. David Ghodoussi is a PhD Organic Chemist and his background includes working for many of the major paint companies that make automotive car paints. He was one of the chemists that helped to create modern clearcoat/basecoat paint technology back in the 1980's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    How long anything lasts depends on how the surface is "touched" after application.

When it comes down to maintaining a scratch and swirl free finish - it all comes down to how you touch the paint - Mike Phillips

If I had to choose between the two? I'd go Optimum Polymer Technologies Opti-Seal.

Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus!

I have a personal and working relationship with the owner of the company who is also the head chemist and I know from our interactions and friendship over the years he's the real deal when it comes to chemistry. I'm not saying the chemist at Ultima are not the real-deal, I just don't have the same relationship to with them.

Read my article here,

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Dr. David Ghodoussi is a PhD Organic Chemist and his background includes working for many of the major paint companies that make automotive car paints. He was one of the chemists that helped to create modern clearcoat/basecoat paint technology back in the 1980's.

Safe to use on all thr plastics and fake metal grills etc ??

Also if I don't go the wg or 845 route. If I do a ceramic xoating which will hold up to winter best for a DD. And how can i give it some gloss ?

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for Optiseal. To be honest, it does protect quite well but it does not give the same kind of "pop" that a lot of other ones will. I find a lot of Optimum products are like that, it's not the showiest of products but they do work quite well. But another big plus for Optiseal, if you use it with ONR, windows and class become a breeze. Also you use one spray per panel basically as you dry. Not too bad.

Ultima Paint Guard is a very nice product. Different chemistry though, different set of polymers. Ultima has a lot of acrylic based products, so in terms of durability, acrylic is one of the stronger ones used in sealants.

In a lot of ways, both products are great but it's protection through different chemical compounds basically. They each have their synergistic products too. Optiseal has ONR, ULtima Paint Guard has Ultima Rinseless Wash Concentrate as well. In terms of durability, I always take the manufacturer recommendation and cut it down by about half. Reason being how your car is parked, driven and washed is not going to be their test processes either. Plus environmental differences.

Most coatings aren't glossy really on their way, your polishing will decide how good your paint looks. However, some coatings added on do reflect light or deflect light, especially after a curing period.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

I.m Gonna go with the WGDGPS 3.0 should I use a spray wax after some washes to increase its lonetigity ?? If so which do u recommend

Mike Phillips

I.m Gonna go with the WGDGPS 3.0 should I use a spray wax after some washes to increase its longevity ?? If so which do u recommend

Keep it in the Wolfgang family,

Wolfgang Fuzion Spray Wax offers extended wax protection that was previously not available in a spray!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast