autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting a brand new car ; what should I use to protect it ??

I would say realistically for a daily driver that may not be garage kept, I estimate more accurately about 4-5 months good protection with Collinite #845, and about 6-7 months with #476 Collinite Super Double Coat Paste. Being garage kept, those figures I mention will be a bit better.

The variability of durability can depend on certain factors, sun, rains, winter road salts, and repeated washings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I would say realistically for a daily driver that may not be garage kept, I estimate more accurately about 4-5 months good protection with Collinite #845, and about 6-7 months with #476 Collinite Super Double Coat Paste. Being garage kept, those figures I mention will be a bit better.

The variability of durability can depend on certain factors, sun, rains, winter road salts, and repeated washings.
    This is key.

I based my longevity of the Collinite on my own experiences with them.

You can't just apply them, and then never do any kind of upkeep and expect them to last as long.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

How muxh coverage do u get out of a can of sonar is it usually enough for a while car . Does it streak tho?
    I imagine it's just for protection no gloss??

Does doesthe wolf deep gloos leave white residue on trim etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I'll concur with Paul above. Such products like the two Collinite products he mentions are very good, and can be an easier to apply protectant than some of the durable Coatings.

There's no time limit as to when a coating can be applied. Perhaps further down the road, when you've done enough research to feel you're comfortable enough to try a Coating.

Collinite products are hybrids meaning in simple terms they are both a conventional wax, and a synthetic sealant combined in their formulations, whether the liquid #845 Insulator Wax, or their #476 or #915 Pastes.

And like most other waxes and sealants they can leave dried residues in nooks and crannies, around trim and badges.
    It should also be noted that these Collinite products mentioned have little in the way of paint cleansing properties, and will need to be applied to a very clean paint finish.

Others for durability and some people here like is Sonax Polymer Net Shield (PNS) It comes in an aerosol spray can.

Another very good product, another fav of mine, might not last quite as long as the Collinite products, yet very good, very easy to apply and remove, has tremendous wow factor and a highly reflective candy coated glass like appearance on the paint is Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 (WGDGPS 3.0)

The collinite products bead water like crazy, have their own special unique signature "look" to them, a little warmer more natural glow and appearance versus say WGDGPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
    How muxh coverage do u get out of a can of sonar is it usually enough for a while car . Does it streak tho?
    I imagine it's just for protection no gloss??

Does doesthe wolf deep gloos leave white residue on trim etc ?
    Honestly, I hope you don't see me as a fake for suggesting Sonax Polymer Net Shield as a worthy product, as I do have a brand new Can of it here, but in truth I have never used the product yet myself to confide about my personal experiences with it.

But I do trust many of our forum members here, including or Forum master and host Mike Phillips who has also spoken very favorably about this product, and others from the Sonax line-up. Their products are manufactured in Germany. I've heard Sonax PNS can be a little "Draggy" feeling after application, but not sure about streaking. Proper application with any product is of course key.

As for Collinite products, those I've used for pretty close to 3 decades, probably long before the majority of forum members here ever knew what Collinite was. They've been in business for a very long time, but you'll rarely if ever find such in any stores.

Can products such as WGDGPS 3.0, Collinite, Menzerna Powerlock Sealant, and countless other waxes and sealants leave residues on trim, particularly textured black plastic trim? Yes! Almost virtually all will.

Some people don't like work, and neither do I sometimes (I'm 65) I hate having to dig wax residues out of cracks, crevices by window trim, inside doors and trunks, hate difficulties if I want to protect under hood, trunk areas, door jambs, door sills,

I once spent 2 days digging wax residues from every nook and cranny on my own father's 2005 VW Touareg cause he haphazardly threw some old vintage white Jelly Wax from a now long gone company in Chicago that was called Nu Look.

The roof racks, every panel on the vehicle, the door jambs, rear lid, under hood, headlights, tail lights, badges, trim, plastic trim, wheels, etc etc., the vehicle looked like it was waxed by a 6 year old.

If you like easy, and want pretty decent protection, no residues left behind, and probably gives 2-3 months minimum protection, then consider what it called a WOWA Product. (Wipe on and Walk Away)

There's two that I have used, and continue to use often. And those products are Optimum Opti-Seal, and Ultima Paint Guard Plus. Yes, they are both sold here.

Both of these products were ones that I instantly fell in love with! They are optically clear liquid Polymer Sealants, just about as easy as a detailer spray, prime a MF or Foam Pad with a spritz or two, spray 2-3 times at most to a panel, and spread. (or 2-3 sprays to half a hood) Spread with the applicator to insure coverage, work the product only to remove high spots is all from where you might've over-applied.

Walk around the vehicle to continue to apply, take a 5 minute break, then only a light going over with a clean MF Towel or two is needed for final leveling, and smoothing of any possible slight smearing that might be left behind.

Absolutely no residues left behind, if you get some on trim, no problems with that, in fact can also be used on trim and glass with no ill effects, no digging out powdery cruds from cracks, and this is a real plus when doing inside doors, under hood, trunk areas.

Again, I love these two WOWA products. another beauty of them, they are pretty inexpensive in use, a little goes a very long way. If you read up on these two, you'll see what is said about them mirrors my comments.

Hope these further comments I have made has helped you in some way.

Optimum Opti-Seal 8 oz. Free Bonus!

Ultima Paint Guard Plus, paint sealant, liquid wax, paint sealer, car wax sealant

PS: I'm also a huge fan of Optimum's Opti-Bond Tire Gel Dressing, and Optimum Tire Shine. Both great products IMO.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    This is key.

I based my longevity of the Collinite on my own experiences with them.

You can't just apply them, and then never do any kind of upkeep and expect them to last as long.
    I, too, am a Collinite user. I use 476s most of the time, even thought I probably have 10 other paste wax choices that I've collected through the years. I also like Wolfgang Fuzion paste wax but it lists for $200 (cheaper on sale here). Both of these are easy-on, easy-off, just make sure you put them on thin. I use both in full sun (no choice unless I wait until after dark) without issues, too.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the car , its brand new . Its audi navaro blue . Which product will compliment this color?

Mike Phillips

Got the car , its brand new . Its audi navaro blue . Which product will compliment this color?

You're working on a clearcoat, that is a clear layer of paint over the basecoat also called the color coat.

The ultimate goal is any product that makes or leaves the clearcoat clear.

Congratulations on the new car!

Mike Phillips

Lots of great suggestions for products for you new car but here's the real deal...

Find something you like and use it often

You need to find something you're going to like otherwise you won't use it.

See what I wrote to this guy today about taking care of his new truck. Regardless of the type of vehicle, you need to find something you like to use or... you won't use it.

New Black Vehicle

Post Thanks / Like

I quick looked at this color, a very nice dark blue.

I suggested previous products, and on dark colors, I'd probably have to give the nod to Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 topped with Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray.

It's a 1-2 punch which I know works impeccably, I've suggested this combo to others and they agree wholeheartedly, this is a knock your socks off combination.

The gloss, shine and reflections are killer, but wait, it gets even better a few hours after application. Just dripping wet. You'll stand and stare in disbelief just how awesome these products work together.

For hard to deal with areas such as the Grill, Trim, Door Jambs, insides of Hood-Trunk Areas, then I'll suggest using a WOWA like Optimum Opti-Seal, or Ultima Paint Guard Plus as easy to work with products that leave zero powdery residues behind.

For textured Black Trim, or really textured trim of any color, Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS) is a highly liked, and respected product by many here, including myself, Great on parts such as Rubber weather-stripping, and soft Rubber Parts too. Gives such a soft buttery feel to Rubber, but a bit too expensive to use as a Tire Dressing, even though it can be.

For Tires, I personally like Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel Dressing, and if you want ultra high gloss and similar protection, then Optimum Tire Gloss Spray gets my vote.

As far as any one singular product line to lay your trust upon, Wolfgang's product line is truly exceptional, and has little peer IMO. Pretty much all the house brands here are winners.

Blackfire's Interior Cleaner, and Protectant are the best products for such I ever used in my life. And I've used many. Cheaper Interior Products lack in many respects, and often are damaging to interior Plastics, Leathers, etc. These products won't

Keep your eyes peeled for the good sales, it usually pays to order larger orders, where you'll benefit from good sale's prices and free shipping to boot! That's what I've always done.

12. Thanks wantboost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply .

I'd probably have to give the nod to Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 topped with Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray.

So both these products don't leave any residue on plastic etc ?
    Can they be used in the sun?
    I assume thr crystal mist spray is for extra shine ?
    Does how long with the crystal must last or need to be re applied approximately

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast