autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Soft clear coat?

Just bought a Kia Soul + and having problems with small scratches in the clear coat. Even using my California car duster I make minute scratches on it. This is my first Kia and wondering if the clear coat on them is always soft and scratches easily? OR could it be my wax? Mother's canauba paste wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Soft clear coat?

Quote Originally Posted by colonel View Post
    Just bought a Kia Soul + and having problems with small scratches in the clear coat. Even using my California car duster I make minute scratches on it. This is my first Kia and wondering if the clear coat on them is always soft and scratches easily? OR could it be my wax? Mother's canauba paste wax?
    Hi. Clear coat is super sensitive. Just overall it is. One can scratch it with nitrile gloves on for example. And IMHO, I'd never use a duster on paint. Especially todays paint. It's hard to avoid them. A QD or ONR and very good rags might help. Might also try stepping the LSP up to something harder. Sealant or even ceramic. Idk. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

3. Thanks colonel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coat it. Two layers and you'll be good. I would however, avoid "dusting" it. Once polished and coated the surface will tend to shed dust and dirt pretty darn well with the exception of pollen but that season is over here in Ohio. Happy to help if you're interested. I'm in the Dublin area of Ohio if you need anything.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if the paint was very hard you could still get scratches and swirls from something like a duster. I even managed to lightly marr hard, black VW paint on my GTI once when I tried to lightly dust off a spot I was examining for other reasons.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Just bought a Kia Soul + and having problems with small scratches in the clear coat.

Even using my California car duster I make minute scratches on it.

This is my first Kia and wondering if the clear coat on them is always soft and scratches easily?

I've never detailed a Kia Soul so I don't know where the paint falls in the hard/soft paint spectrum.

I've never been a fan of dusters either but that's just personal preference. Maybe give this article a read-through...

Clearcoats are Scratch-Sensitive

8. Thanks colonel thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I never had a car that scratched this easily. Last few cars were a light blue Ford, a silver Kia rio and a few other but this car is a very dark blue, almost black. Maybe it is just more visible on this color. Thank you for the response.

Mike Phillips

Thanks. I never had a car that scratched this easily. Last few cars were a light blue Ford, a silver Kia rio and a few other but this car is a very dark blue, almost black.

Maybe it is just more visible on this color.

Thank you for the response.

In a perfect world - car manufacturers would require their paint suppliers to provide paints that are optimized for easy maintenance.

11. Thanks colonel thanked for this post