autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Micro-marring on black paint

I don’t know if your Golf has hard paint but I’m guessing maybe it does and when you use a soft pad and 205 it might have just enough cut to scratch it but can’t correct the defects. Try a polishing pad instead of finishing pad and see if that helps.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Where do you live?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not as experienced as some of the guys here but I do work on a lot of soft black paint. I've narrowed it down to 3 things.
    A) Your polish is too aggressive and is causing marring
    B) Your polish is not aggressive enough and is not removing the marring caused by compounding
    C) Your paint is not soft and your compound is not actually removing all the defects

Try this process with the current products you have:
    Stage 1 - compound + cutting pad
    Stage 2 - compound + polishing pad
    Stage 3 - polish + finishing pad

If that doesn't work, try this process:
    Stage 1 - compound + cutting pad
    Stage 2 - compound + polishing pad
    Stage 3 - polish + polishing pad
    Stage 4 - polish + finishing pad

If you still get marring that means your polish is too aggressive. Try using a finer polish like Sonax Nano Polish 03-06 or Meguiar's M210 and repeat the process above.

If that still doesn't work then maybe your paint is actually hard and you're not removing all the defects that you think you are. If that's the case then you need a more aggressive compound like Sonax CutMax/UltimateCut or 3D ACA 500.

I followed a similar process on this jet black BMW with soft paint. I think it turned out okay.

Stage 1 - Sonax CutMax + Rupes blue wool
    Stage 2 - Sonax CutMax + Rupes yellow wool
    Stage 3 - Sonax 04/06 + LC HDO orange polishing pad
    Stage 4 - Sonax 04/06 + LC HDO black finishing pad

4. Likes Bruno Soares, Jayfro, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

M205 is honestly too aggressive for a lot of applications. What I would suggest is to mix M205 about 50/50 with distilled water then spritz it onto your pad. If it's still marring, then reduce the amount of M205 to 25/75 with distilled water. You can make M205 finish down quite nicely, but it involves playing around with the formula a bit. The other reason could be lack of power from your polisher or you're spinning at too high a speed and causing too much heat.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Osnapman View Post
    [FONT=verdana]

For the life of me I can't figure out why I'm getting micro-marring after polishing/compounding.

I have a 2013 VW Golf with black paint that has lots of swirl marks on it, so I decided to finally try and fix it. I bought a harbor freight DA polisher and compounding and polishing pads from there as well.

First I cleaned and decontaminated the car (claybar, two bucket method etc..) I then used a compounding pad with Turtle Wax Premium Polishing Compound. And I used Meguiars 205 to finish after compounding. (Everything I used is linked below) [/B]
    My opinion....you don't have micro marring you just simply haven't fully corrected the paint successfully. Not blaming you or poking at you so please understand that. IMO I've not used a HF product or their pads, but my guess is that it's an entry level polisher and likely is a PIA to correct with. I'm a rotary and forced rotation detailer and use completely different products.

I've owned many German cars and will tell you the paint on the VW is tough. It's going to take more than just 205 to correct it. I've not used TW Compound either. My go-to for German cars is CarPro ClearCut and Essence as the polish. Since you're not using a forced rotation unit, jump to microfiber with ClearCut. It will finish out very nicely and the light haze and marring left will correct with a light cutting or medium polishing pad very nicely.

Unless you're using dirty pads, etc. I'm tossing a new opinion at you but it's one I'm pretty confident in. I do a lot of German Cars, especially black, and it's not uncommon for me to have customers who have tried and given up simply bring me the car to do. In fact it's quite common given my business is mainly driven from car forums and local enthusiast groups.

Good luck and hope to help more where I can.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Likes WillSports3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the exact opposite of TTQ, I work mostly long throw instead of rotary/forced rotation. I just find it smoother. Perhaps try M105 with some water spritzed onto the panel. It keeps the abrasives working for longer (prevents lubrication from drying up too quickly) and does give you better cut. Test spot the hood. See what results you get? TTQ is most likely correct, the paint is too hard for M205 to handle.

I personally find that perhaps something like Sonax would give you a better result? Sonax cutting liquids and finishing liquids are pretty top notch. They also seem to work well on German cars from what I've seen.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

9. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12