autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Happened To My Ceramic Coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreichler View Post
    I think I’ll stop using Reload. What advantage will Elixir provide over just leaving the coating bare? Is it a Reload alternative in some sort? How often should Elixir be applied? Also, does Gliss simply just address the slickness of the coating?
    Elixr is CarPro's quick detail spray to go with their coatings. I don't think there would be any advantage from a protection standpoint to leaving the coating bare as it isn't designed to extend the life of the coating like Reload. There may be a little protective "something" in Elixr, but it wouldn't be much and it probably won't last long.

I've used Elixr after washing a few times to remove water spots. It does boost the gloss a bit, makes the surface slicker, and I've not seen any issues with the coating itself. I've also used CarPro's Ech2O mixed to QD ratios and it works much like Elixr, but doesn't provide quite as much gloss.

From an overall experience standpoint, one thing Guz highlighted is the use of Eraser after polishing and before applying the coating. I believe just about every coating, if not all, require a similar step with a similar type product to remove any oils left behind by the polish. If they are not removed it could interfere with bond the coating makes with the paint and make it less durable.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Just to clear up with Elixir and Gliss. Is Elixir meant to be used as a quick detailer similar to ECH2O like I do after each wash? Or is it like Reload where I use it maybe every other month? Same for Gliss, I assume Gliss is supposed to be applied maybe once a month or every other month- rather than on a weekly basis. Is it appropriate to apply Gliss without applying Elixir?
    Elixir is a quick detailer, you could use it after every wash but if you have the Ech2o already mixed, alternate the two as the protection from Elixir will last a couple weeks.

Gliss is a top coating. You apply it the same way you applied your coating. It has to be done immediately after the coating to bond properly, not after washing and applying other products. Gliss is supposed to last about a year.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

It was Reload. I've never had good luck with Reload. Reload lets contamination build up until the coating is dead basically, beading wise. It'll still protect your car but.. there will be no beading after that.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, after polishing/correcting, I did not prep the paint any further. I honestly was not aware that this was a step. I just finished my polishing, wiped off residue with microfibers, then let the car sit until the next day when I began applying the coating. I had no idea that oils had to be removed prior to applying the coating.

What product should be used in order to do this?
    Eraser, or any coating prep spray, or IPA will remove the polishing oils. What was the last polish you corrected with? That polish will determine how many oils got left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

From my limited experience you have to remove oils , use IPA /paint prep ( the chemistry behind bonded to paint is important)( just as important as polishing)
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

I had an almost identical experience as you except after my paint prep I did remove the oils. I actually started a thread a few weeks back discussing my disappointment in the Carpro CQuartz uk and gliss coating I performed. Some folks thought it was my selection of soap but that was not it.

Here is what my problem was ——-> Pollen. It basically took the coating’s beading ability and clogged it. The protection was there but not the beading. Now that pollen season is almost over I have nice beading back and am still using the same soap as always - chemical guys honey dew. One thing I added was iron x a few washes back and it helped.

For the roughness you feel, I had that same symptom. Although Carpro recommends to not clay the car, I did anyways. Very carefully, very lightly and made sure the surface was super slick and lubricated. Then I washed the car again and the beading is as expected which is very good.

My Advice - iron x the car, wash it, then clay it carefully, rewash it, and you should be ok. Good luck.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

7. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Eraser, or any coating prep spray, or IPA will remove the polishing oils. What was the last polish you corrected with? That polish will determine how many oils got left behind.
    Pretty sure I used Griots Complete Polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Just to clear up with Elixir and Gliss. Is Elixir meant to be used as a quick detailer similar to ECH2O like I do after each wash? Or is it like Reload where I use it maybe every other month? Same for Gliss, I assume Gliss is supposed to be applied maybe once a month or every other month- rather than on a weekly basis. Is it appropriate to apply Gliss without applying Elixir?
    Elixir as mentioned is a quick detailer. Unlike EcH2O it will leave protection behind as it contains elements of Reload and Hydro2. If you like protection then you can invest in a bottle and use it. You could alternate between it and EcH2O. Or you could stick with EcH2O but it will not leave protection behind but rather gloss enhancement.

Review - CarPro Elixir Quick Detailer

Gliss on the other hand is a top coat. Think of this as Reload on steroids. It will not only leave slickness but it also contains anti-water spotting properties, gloss, same 110 degree contact angle as the base layer coating. Ideally it is to be applied at the same time as the original coating. You can put it on an aged coating but you would need to strip any toppers that are on the surface such as Reload. You don't need this as Cquartz TiO2 is more stain resistant than Cquartz UK 3.0. TiO2 is close to the slickness of Gliss.

As I mentioned you need a decon wash every 3 months. That will keep the coating as contaminant free as possible. Here is how I would use it. First wash the car with Reset at the standard 1.3 oz per 5 gallon dilution. Sheet rinse most of the water. Spray Ironx or equivalent and agitate with a damp microfiber. Rinse and wash with Reset one more time. This should bring back the coating.

If you really want to ensure a smooth surface then pick up the 22ple caly bar. It is a non-abrasive clay bar that will not marr the paint. It was designed for glass coatings. Use EcH2O as clay lube. Regular clay will marr no matter if it is fine grade.

I just did this on an 18 month old coating and it brought some life back from the coating.

There are write ups on detailed image on the clay bar.

I went about 21 months on Cquartz on my personal car with no toppers.

The daily with CQUK 3.0 + Gliss V1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Elixir as mentioned is a quick detailer. Unlike EcH2O it will leave protection behind as it contains elements of Reload and Hydro2. If you like protection then you can invest in a bottle and use it. You could alternate between it and EcH2O. Or you could stick with EcH2O but it will not leave protection behind but rather gloss enhancement.

Review - CarPro Elixir Quick Detailer

Gliss on the other hand is a top coat. Think of this as Reload on steroids. It will not only leave slickness but it also contains anti-water spotting properties, gloss, same 110 degree contact angle as the base layer coating. Ideally it is to be applied at the same time as the original coating. You can put it on an aged coating but you would need to strip any toppers that are on the surface such as Reload. You don't need this as Cquartz TiO2 is more stain resistant than Cquartz UK 3.0. TiO2 is close to the slickness of Gliss.

As I mentioned you need a decon wash every 3 months. That will keep the coating as contaminant free as possible. Here is how I would use it. First wash the car with Reset at the standard 1.3 oz per 5 gallon dilution. Sheet rinse most of the water. Spray Ironx or equivalent and agitate with a damp microfiber. Rinse and wash with Reset one more time. This should bring back the coating.

If you really want to ensure a smooth surface then pick up the 22ple caly bar. It is a non-abrasive clay bar that will not marr the paint. It was designed for glass coatings. Use EcH2O as clay lube. Regular clay will marr no matter if it is fine grade.

I just did this on an 18 month old coating and it brought some life back from the coating.

There are write ups on detailed image on the clay bar.

I went about 21 months on Cquartz on my personal car with no toppers.

The daily with CQUK 3.0 + Gliss V1
    I appreciate the advice and guidance! So spraying my car down with something like IronX won’t harm the coating? I think it is about time for the decon wash, but haven’t heard of it- so trying to gather info on that.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the advice and guidance! So spraying my car down with something like IronX won’t harm the coating? I think it is about time for the decon wash, but haven’t heard of it- so trying to gather info on that.
    Perfectly fine. See my first post as I copied the directions and maintenance tips straight from CarPro.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast