autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Truck polish longevity

Just purchased a 2020 GMC truck the Carbon black,basically its gray. Looking to find a product or products that will last awhile to protect the paint. I have a Porter Cable polisher already. I had looked at the Blackfire one step follwed by Blackfire hybrid wax or paint sealant. been researching way too much i guess now i have all these different great products such as HD Speed but wasnt sure how long that will last. Had also looked at the Adams spray ceramic. Would like some input as you all seem much more knowledge than myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Truck polish longevity

One Step/Hybrid wax is a great combo!!!

Post Thanks / Like

First off, welcome to AutoGeekOnline! Congrats on the new truck.

You cant go wrong with what you have on hand.

Another thing to ponder is how often you want to spend time with the paint or much much protection you are after. You can keep the truck in great shape throughout its life with a good AIO and a quality sealant once or twice a year. You can also get right after this brand new truck and polish it out and apply a coating. This route will give 2-3 years durability.

Post Thanks / Like

AIO's are good, but not the greatest in protection longevity. To get longevity, you must top them.

The BF AIO/hybrid wax sealant would be a good choice.

Or, a straight polish topped with a sealant/wax combo. (Griot's Correcting Cream, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, any Collinite wax).

All are top-notch.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes acuRAS82, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Jeweling Wax + WG DGPS (or other sealant) is another option.
    CarPro Essence/TW P&W + Ceramic Spray is another option (easy to apply the spray every month or two).

Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to use the adams spray coating then you would be better polishing, followed by a prep wipe and applying a dual coat of the spray coating. Also be aware that it is not the longest lasting protection. The benefit is you can apply it a few months later.

Post Thanks / Like

One step + hybrid wax is fine, but you will need to perform multiple times a year ( as long as you have time and like trying different combinations which is what I used to do) Or as mentioned above go directly to ceramic coating for longer protection
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your input

Post Thanks / Like

I also recently purchased a 2020 GMC Sierra in black (I think it is onyx black). I bought some Blackfire One Step and the Hybrid Wax to use on it. I haven't tested it out on the truck, but I did use it on my wife's white Honda Pilot and I thought it worked really well - went on and off super easy and seems to have very nice protection even a month later.

Also, my truck won't fit completely in my garage, so it sits outside and would have to be partially in the sun for application of the one step / wax. I recall a post from Mike Phillips stating that the Blackfire One Step would not be too hateful if applied in the sunlight.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by waddell64 View Post

Also, my truck won't fit completely in my garage, so it sits outside and would have to be partially in the sun for application of the one step / wax.

I recall a post from Mike Phillips stating that the Blackfire One Step would not be too hateful if applied in the sunlight.

One of my alumni students from our 3-day class uses BLACKFIRE One Step as his Go-to cleaner/wax for buffing out expensive, clearcoated high-end RVs. He does most of these outside in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

That's a very good testimony as to the quality of the product and the ease-of-use in full sun.

For anyone reading this into the future that has not been to Fort Lauderdale, Florida or South Florida or any of the "Sun States", it's not only hot in South Florida it's incredible humid. In my experience, one of the worst work climates for outside detailing and outside paint correction.