autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Hazy gloss black interior trim

Quote Originally Posted by Taylorvert View Post

It’s a 2016 Ford Fusion titanium. At this point I was just thinking about scuffing, priming and painting the trim. I found the new trim pieces online for $20 so I could always go back to the OEM style if need be.
    Might be the way to go if a simple polish won't restore gloss and shine. If it won't - I'd say that's a finicky surface material or coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylorvert View Post

This process would apply the same to the plastic chrome trim on the exterior? Use a really fine polish or even just wax to clean them up and make them shine?

Thank you for the replies!

The exterior chrome on the outside is PVD or Physical Vapor Deposition. I'm not an expert on this but I think Forrest from Mothers is.

I recommend this product from Mothers. Every detailer should have a bottle in their arsenal.

Mothers California Gold All-Chrome Cleaner

Here's some info on this type of chrome...

Progress in Replacing Decorative Electroplating Chrome Coatings on Plastics with Physical Vapor Deposition Coatings : Products Finishing

Custom Decorative and Functional PVD Coatings and Finishings

PVD Coating Systems

Post Thanks / Like

Tough call.
    I take it that the picture you've shown in particular, is a grab hold on the side door with an integrated door latch, correct?

If so, these areas which I'll assume are basically some type of plastic will be the toughest of all to do any fixes with say a sealant, or an acrylic resto-maintainence product such as Scratch-X, or something like Novus Polishes designed for Plastics.

Some types of such might leave greasy residues behind, might be fine for an area on the dash, but not going to work for such grab hold areas.

Removing, prepping and painting might be a better fix, but again how long will such last in high wear areas where you're grabbing such every time one exits the vehicle?

A "very" small chance might be asking the dealer about such? Probably all they'll tell you though is they can order new parts and/or install them, probably not an option you'll want to entertain. (Or pay for. $$$)

Post Thanks / Like

Only other idea that pops into my mind, and it would be for areas that aren't commonly touched.

You'll have insane gloss and shine, in fact it might be too much! Easy, relatively cheap versus a wipe on Ceramic Coating such as CQuartz DLX. (DLX would probably work)

That product, dare I say it...… is Future Floor Wax.

If the parts can be removed, that would be a plus so not to get such a product on anything else. Apply one coat, let dry, apply another. Future maintenance would be nil, simply wipe with a dampened MF Towel is all, or a Detailer Spray to remove dusts, fingerprints-etc.

I was once forced to do the Future Floor Wax option as the only way to bring shine back to my then relatively new 1990 Dodge-Cummins 4x4 Pickup Truck.

When new, I applied Armor-All to the Dash and Door Panels. The doors weren't a problem, but the dash was simply Painted. And all the Paint began to flake off!

An absolute disaster where under warrantee the dealer wanted to yank the entire dash out to repair or replace it, and I said no damn way are you going to do that to a vehicle with about 5,000 miles on the Odo! I walked, and then slept on what my other options might be?

So, I went to a Paint Supply Shop, had a few Aerosol Cans custom mixed with the correct color code paint, and also bought clear for a top overcoat.

But the problem was, this paint was Lacquer! The prep-cleaning and paint application came out flawless once I stripped most of the Dash and Masked just about everything.

But the paint was as dull as Primer. Future Floor Wax to the rescue as a solution. I applied 3 coats total with a small piece of Sponge, waiting for each coat to fully dry before any additional applications.

The dash looked so good, almost too good, the gloss was insane, perfect, blinding in fact in certain light conditions, got lots of compliments after about how great it looked, and what did I put on it?!

Of course a good Paint Prep product-degreaser should be used prior to applying such a product to get even and proper bonding to the parts.

Post Thanks / Like

That era of early 90's Dodge Trucks were essentially junk! They put a killer turbo diesel Motor in a crap truck. Basically not much in the way of aftermarket parts like spring kits, add ons, etc.

To get a 3" lift all the way around, I wound up in a Semi Truck Shop, where they made new Springs custom,, re-arched, what a pistol. The Rancho Shocks I put on all the way around were so stiff and difficult, the mechanic need a 4' long crowbar to drop them! I kid you not!

Banks aftermarket mandrel bent 4" exhaust I installed one afternoon, just aluminum, it was starting to rot out after one Midwest winter from the salts.

A 727 Torqeflight Tranny that after 9,000 miles was leaking like I shot it with a .44 magnum. No cruise control which I paid for, and finally came 13 months later which I installed ($235), what a pistol running flat ribbon cable up through the steering column and hook to a new Column Indicator Stalk, Brake Stop LightSwitch, Cables to tranny, all new Bracketry for the Throttle Assembly on top the engine, all new Throttle return springs, with the stock springs you needed a brick taped to your shoe to keep the gas peddle down.

That after 2 hours of driving your right foot was killing you.

Sloppy Rag Joint on the Steering Column under hood that after 10K, I had 2-1/2" of play either way on the steering wheel, I replaced that with a "Borgeson"? roller needle bearing, no adjustable steering box link to front end, replaced that,

Dodge was reminiscent of the old AMC to me, really garbage they were making then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12