autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turtle hard shell wax

Quote Originally Posted by Edvinac View Post
    I did wash the car, that’s when I started to see them,

What product is consider a detail spray? All the quick detailers ? Or the spray waxes aswell? I only have experiences with spray waxes and you usually have to polish them out, as far as I know with QD all you do is spray and wipe it off since it’s not pure wax is water based and has a lot of lubricants right?

Going to inform you guys after another car wash and some elbow grease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you washed and that showed the holograms, then they should be scratches in the paint. Detail sprays as mentioned are quick retailers, but I think you’ve ruled out the holograms being caused by leftover oils. Quick detailer or spray waxes aren’t going to help at this point unless you don’t want to polish and hoping to simply fill in some light scratches (holograms) with a spray wax that has fillers.

One other thing, just so we’re all on the same page... when we say “polish” here is Autogeek online, we mean using a dedicated abrasive polish to remove all dirt, waxes and correct defects. Sone brands use “polish” inconsistently as “wax” or “protectant”. For the purpose of people explaining things on this forum, polish is not used in the manner to describe a protectant with no correcting ability. I bring this up because you stated “spray waxes and you usually have to polish them out”. I think you mean “buff” (the act of wiping residue away with a clean towel) in that context.

So when people here say “polish to strip the wax”, we aren’t saying to keep rubbing the surface with a towel. We’re saying to buy a dedicated polish (including an AIO such as TW P&W being an option) and work backwards to re-clean and correct the paint to remove the hard shell protection. This brings you back to the point you were at prior to ever applying Hard Shell. Then apply something better than Hard She’ll. Don’t ever use it again given you ended up with these holograms as a result. It’s not your girlfriends fault. Let her know that.

2. Likes oneheadlite, Edvinac, BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes Black vehicles and hard pastes, or certain waxes-sealants can spell trouble.

I know I told this story before here, a bought new black '94 Lincoln Town Car. A friend gave me 6 brand new bottles of the blue liquid Zymol that you'd commonly see at the Big Box Auto Parts Stores, and Wally World.

As someone once later told me, yep, this product was actually manufactured for Zymol by Turtle Wax-USA.

Working in the garage, I put it on, took it off, and man, what I saw was a nightmare. I guess the description lingo might vary amongst many, holograms, hazing, ghosting, looked like I waxed the Car with Crisco Shortening. Coming behind with a Detailer Spray was helping some, but not completely.

As I recall, I pulled out a good old standby that I never had problems with, Meguiars #20 Poly Sealant.

I did the entire vehicle again, tried a panel first to see what the results would be, all then looked great after, back to normal. Whew!

I wouldn't suspect scratching in this instance assuming the car's paint was clean when the Wax was applied.

Some hard pastes can be finnicky, drying times, the particular solvents in them, and working you pretty hard for both application and removal.

Was why I suggested trying other gentler alternatives first, rather than resorting to yanking out a DA and Polishing.

Immediately after, I then gave those 6 Bottles of Zymol away to someone else who said he loved the product. They weren't working for me.

No slight against Zymol, as I know they do make many top shelf products. To me, this one just didn't seem like one of them.

4. Likes Edvinac liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Just to chime in,

At this point, you need to get the affected panels cleaned, that is everything that's on them removed off of them and then inspect in good light, like good sunlight or some type of hand held light.

Figure out what, if any, problems are "in" the paint at this point.

Then let us know. If there are in fact swirls caused by the product or the application and/or removal of the product, AND you're working by hand - then the next thing will be to hand polish the paint using something like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or at a minimum, Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax.

That or get a polisher and use one of the above only work by machine.

Mike Phillips

Also...

The defects you're referring to are swirls, not holograms. Unless someone has buffed out your car with a rotary buffer and put holograms into the paint.

See my article here,

The word holograms means a specific scratch pattern inflicted into paint using a rotary buffer

These are HOLOGRAMS

Holograms are not swirls. Holograms are but put into the paint by hand or with orbital polishers.

Holograms are a scratch-pattern specific to rotary buffers or rotary polishers, whatever name you like to call direct-drive, single rotation tools.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Turtle hard shell wax

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Also...

The defects you're referring to are swirls, not holograms. Unless someone has buffed out your car with a rotary buffer and put holograms into the paint.

See my article here,

The word holograms means a specific scratch pattern inflicted into paint using a rotary buffer

These are HOLOGRAMS

Holograms are not swirls. Holograms are but put into the paint by hand or with orbital polishers.

Holograms are a scratch-pattern specific to rotary buffers or rotary polishers, whatever name you like to call direct-drive, single rotation tools.

Exactly. I am getting holograms(not as bad as in the pictures ofcourse..), not swirls.

P.S. everyone says to strip polish with a DA, but I don’t have one.

P.P.S. Gonna snap some photos for you guys, actually shouldve sone that a long time ago

Mike Phillips

Exactly. I am getting holograms

If you're GETTING holograms - then stop using a rotary buffer to apply the wax.

Simple.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're GETTING holograms - then stop using a rotary buffer to apply the wax.

Simple.

Don’t have neither have I used one ever. Maybe these could be some hidden shady work from when I got the car detailed last summer? Although I think I would have seen it by now

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. everyone says to strip polish with a DA, but I don’t have one.
    You can strip wax by polishing by hand. I just don’t know how well you will be able to correct scratches by polishing by hand.

Mike Phillips

Maybe these could be some hidden shady work from when I got the car detailed last summer?

If you're UNCOVERING or UNMASKING holograms then in order to remove them you must LEVEL the paint via abrading the paint with either a compound, polish or cleaner/wax.

Most people I've met in my life don't have the muscle, energy, skills or abilities to hand apply a compound, polish or cleaner/wax thoroughly and effectively enough to level hologram scratches over an entire car and most cannot do a single body panel.

Machine polishing with any brand of free spinning random orbital polisher is the way to go or try your hand at hand polishing.

12. Likes acuRAS82, dwaleke liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're UNCOVERING or UNMASKING holograms then in order to remove them you must LEVEL the paint via abrading the paint with either a compound, polish or cleaner/wax.

Most people I've met in my life don't have the muscle, energy, skills or abilities to hand apply a compound, polish or cleaner/wax thoroughly and effectively enough to level hologram scratches over an entire car and most cannot do a single body panel.

Machine polishing with any brand of free spinning random orbital polisher is the way to go or try your hand at hand polishing.

For now I will try to apply a quick spray wax and buff ir just a little bit, and going to take some before and after pics.

I guess the time has come to invest in a DA, always wanted one, never pulled the trigger

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast