autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New business, fill in the gaps for what I don't have?

Well, I pulled the trigger this weekend and I'm going to start my own part-time detailing business. Friday I joined the IDA and purchased my 10 written tests (though I couldn't take any of them for some reason today). My sister-in-law found me a fantastic insurance policy that includes garage keepers, but also covers my small paint booth, equipment break down, and structure, and I filed my LLC with the state today to be official as of July 1.

I've amassed most everything I need over the last 5 years to continue doing regular detailing tasks - paint correction, engine degrease, exterior/interior cleaning etc. I do not have any products for matte finishes as I've never had a call or need for them with all of the vehicles in our family or friends. Do I just go ahead and fill in the gaps now, or wait and see what the demand is? Having worked in every facet of retail - purchasing, warehousing, and sales - I'm aware if you don't have it you can't sell it, but I also don't want money sitting around being wasted either. I do not have a steam machine yet, but that is on my list along with some blower fans if I need to do wet vacuuming. I'm not sure if a pneumatic frame jack would be useful as well, as I'm not sure how many "showroom" details I will do where it's a wheels-off detail. This would also require a torque wrench for putting the wheels back on.

Thank you in advance for any constructive feedback and/or advice. My wife, friends, and family are very excited for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New business, fill in the gaps for what I don't have?

First thing to consider is not necessarily to focus on paint correction but interior. Interiors are the biggest and most obvious difference at times. A lot of people don't know what swirls are but.. they do know what salt stains in carpet and no salt stains in carpet looks like.

If you're looking for a jack, look up quick jacks. Much cheaper and works better than a lot of other jacks for your wheels off detail should you choose to go down that path. Remember though, that more money is made doing a bunch of soccer mom vans than doing a show car with ceramic coating. Steam machine will make your life a lot easier for interior and exterior.

Also, look at the market around you. Are you going to do mobile? Do you have your own shop space right now?

Matte paint is easy. Dr. Beasleys matte care line has pretty much everything you'd need for 99 percent of it. The other 1 percent hasn't been invented basically.

Also, do you plan on doing paint touch ups? That requires some specific tools as well. What about tint and PPF? Just putting suggestions out.

At the end of the day, there's way too much stuff to consider trying to fill the gaps. Have a well rounded inventory where you will use everything you have. But also check your market as well. No need for Concours finishing products if there's no market in your area for it.

Things to note: Marketing, R&D in terms of products, as well as social media.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    First thing to consider is not necessarily to focus on paint correction but interior. Interiors are the biggest and most obvious difference at times. A lot of people don't know what swirls are but.. they do know what salt stains in carpet and no salt stains in carpet looks like.

If you're looking for a jack, look up quick jacks. Much cheaper and works better than a lot of other jacks for your wheels off detail should you choose to go down that path. Remember though, that more money is made doing a bunch of soccer mom vans than doing a show car with ceramic coating. Steam machine will make your life a lot easier for interior and exterior.

Also, look at the market around you. Are you going to do mobile? Do you have your own shop space right now?

Matte paint is easy. Dr. Beasleys matte care line has pretty much everything you'd need for 99 percent of it. The other 1 percent hasn't been invented basically.

Also, do you plan on doing paint touch ups? That requires some specific tools as well. What about tint and PPF? Just putting suggestions out.

At the end of the day, there's way too much stuff to consider trying to fill the gaps. Have a well rounded inventory where you will use everything you have. But also check your market as well. No need for Concours finishing products if there's no market in your area for it.

Things to note: Marketing, R&D in terms of products, as well as social media.
    Thank you for the feedback and recommendations. No tint or PPF, there's plenty of established businesses in town doing that. My own shop space (outbuilding on my property) is about two weeks out from being completed once the contractors get back to work. Interiors will likely be the bulk of what I do. It's a big hockey town so at the end of the season (or throughout) the cars get roached. I 100% agree interiors for soccer/hockey families will be the bulk of my business. The jack would be a late add-on. I don't think I'll be doing high end stuff by any means until after I've been at it for a bit. Paint touch ups, I've done on my own and have a bunch of tools/things from my custom painting experience of helmets etc. I've considered doing the mobile detail as there isn't anyone locally doing it presently. There are a lot of "lakers" in the area, so good potential for boat details as well once I get the product knowledge and learn the technique to do it

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you've thought a lot of it out. I would suggest biggest thing right now is to calculate monthly flat costs in one section, then adjustable costs in the other section. For example, I don't know how much you pay for water but let's just say for a wash, how much would it cost you?

Water
    one ounce (I assume) of shampoo
    Towels (Not cost of towels per say but cost of laundry for said towels)
    Drying aid (if applicable. Lets just say a 16 ounce bottle cost you say, 12 dollars. It might be about a dollar to help dry a car?
    Then your time as well, based on how much per hour you'd be wanting to charge for labour costs.

Same thing for interior. How much would you use on average for say, an interior cleaner/APC, whatever the case is. THen towels, laundry costs for towels, and of course time. THen base on what you want your margins to be. 15%? 20%? That way you can get your costs dialed down.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Mike Phillips

I think you have a MUCH better start than 99.9% of the people that try to start a "real" detailing business no matter what the format. In other words,

1. Part-time
    2. Full-time
    3. Brick & Mortar
    4. Mobile

Read my comments I posted here last week on the same topic,

Advice for someone considering a mobile detailing side business?

6. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I think you have a MUCH better start than 99.9% of the people that try to start a "real" detailing business no matter what the format. In other words,

1. Part-time
    2. Full-time
    3. Brick & Mortar
    4. Mobile

Read my comments I posted here last week on the same topic,

Advice for someone considering a mobile detailing side business?

Thank you Mike. I will give it a read. The mobile part may come later. Right now it will be strictly out of the new outbuilding/shop we are constructing on our property.

Post Thanks / Like

These are items I do not have, and products I need to fill in the gaps for. What is/isn't an immediate need or necessity, or should I just fill in all the gaps now? Thank you in advance.

What I don't have -

Alcantara cleaner
    Vinyl Top cleaner & protectant
    Canvas/convertible top cleaner & protectant
    Steam cleaning machine
    Matte paint/decal cleaner & protectant.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest doing what you are comfortable with.

Be honest with people of what you can and are willing\comfortable doing!

Start off setting your prices and being firm about them. For example if a customer opts for a one step correction, just do a one step correction. We tend as Detailers to be after perfection, and people sometimes are not willing/want to pay for that. You must remember you are after an improvement not perfection on some jobs.

I find one of the best things to do is asking a customer what area concerns them. Then put extra effort in that area to make them happy. Always a recipe for success. Answers will vary so widely and gives you an idea of what they will first notice and judge the work on.
    Jim

10. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post

These are items I do not have, and products I need to fill in the gaps for. What is/isn't an immediate need or necessity, or should I just fill in all the gaps now? Thank you in advance.

What I don't have -

Alcantara cleaner

SONAX Upholstery & Acantara Cleaner is a SAFE product. I don't have any reviews or how-to articles for this product but I've used it and seen it used for years and it's always safe and always effective. If this product cannot clean it then probably nothing can that won't screw it up at the same times.

SONAX Upholstery & Alcantara Cleaner

Vinyl Top cleaner & protectant

The go-to product in this category is 303

How To Restore and Protect a Vinyl Top using 303 Products

Canvas/convertible top cleaner & protectant
    Get the brush and the products

NEW Haartz/RaggTopp Convertible Top Brush - How to clean and protect a convertible top

Steam cleaning machine
    Review and how-to: Vapor Chief Steam Cleaners by Mike Phillips

I like and recommend the 100 model. Best entry level continuous fill option and all the tools and attachments are top notch.

Review and how-to: Vapor Chief Steam Cleaners by Mike Phillips

Matte paint/decal cleaner & protectant.

Hang tight for a week or two.

12. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I suggest doing what you are comfortable with.

Be honest with people of what you can and are willing\comfortable doing!

Start off setting your prices and being firm about them. For example if a customer opts for a one step correction, just do a one step correction. We tend as Detailers to be after perfection, and people sometimes are not willing/want to pay for that. You must remember you are after an improvement not perfection on some jobs.

I find one of the best things to do is asking a customer what area concerns them. Then put extra effort in that area to make them happy. Always a recipe for success. Answers will vary so widely and gives you an idea of what they will first notice and judge the work on.
    Thank you. I am comfortable with almost everything. I have absolutely no problems saying Yes I can/No I can't. I know my skill level and own it. As a an artist who has been doing custom painting the last few years, I've had some requests to do things that were out of my realm. Fortunately I have friends that also have skills and referred the business to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast