autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What to do for my new car?

I have a new Mustang that I purchased in February and currently has 650 miles so no real road wear on the paint yet. What would you recommend for me to protect the paint?

I am looking to do the work myself and I don't have a garage so I think applying a ceramic coating is out. I have been looking at the Turtlewax hyrbid products but wasn't sure if I just need to apply the Ceramic Spray coating or if I should use the Wash and Wax first?

Thank you for any information.

Mike Phillips

Re: What to do for my new car?

Because this is your first post to the forum,

Welcome to AuotgeekOnline!

Quote Originally Posted by Greaper View Post

I have a new Mustang that I purchased in February and currently has 650 miles so no real road wear on the paint yet. What would you recommend for me to protect the paint?
    When you look at the paint in full sun, as in the sun shining down on the hood - do you see any swirls?

I've been doing this long enough to know just because a car is NEW that does not mean the paint is also perfect and from experience, usually the paint is imperfect.

I am looking to do the work myself and I don't have a garage so I think applying a ceramic coating is out.

I have been looking at the Turtlewax hyrbid products but wasn't sure if I just need to apply the Ceramic Spray coating or if I should use the Wash and Wax first?

Thank you for any information.

Definitely use the wash first if for no other reason to remove any loose dirt and non-bonded road grime.

Next I would recommend the product I reviewed here. It's a one-step and you can apply it by hand or machine. While the car I used for the review is not a Ford, the paint was pretty hacked-up and BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT just like the paint on your Mustang and it did a great job.

TONS OF INFO in this single write-up. TONS.

Review: Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax

And if you don't have a polisher, I'd highly recommend getting one. You'll never regret it and your car will look like it was detailed by a pro detailer.

Keep it simple, just get a Porter Cable 7424XP and some foam polishing pads.

Hope that helps...

3. Likes PaulMys, fhcarstens, dwaleke liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And as is the normal progression, take a moment, click the link below and watch the video.

How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

When you look at the paint in full sun, as in the sun shining down on the hood - do you see any swirls?

I've been doing this long enough to know just because a car is NEW that does not mean the paint is also perfect and from experience, usually the paint is imperfect.

And if the dealer "detailed it" before you took possession, it will most certainly have paint defects.

I work for a Ford dealer, and you do not want to even think about the horror show that their "detail guys" inflict on new cars.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I still joke with my dealership manager when I take my car in for service that if they wash the car or detail it in anyway I'll sue.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Because this is your first post to the forum,

Welcome to AuotgeekOnline!

Definitely use the wash first if for no other reason to remove any loose dirt and non-bonded road grime.

TONS OF INFO in this single write-up. TONS.

Review: Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax

And if you don't have a polisher, I'd highly recommend getting one. You'll never regret it and your car will look like it was detailed by a pro detailer.

Keep it simple, just get a Porter Cable 7424XP and some foam polishing pads.

Hope that helps...

Thank you for all the great information. When I look at the car in full sun I do not see any swirls. I checked multiple places on the hood, roof and trunk.

So I will start with the wash. Do you think I still should use the polish and wax?

What do you recommend to use in between washes to remove dust from the car? Years ago I bought a California duster which I haven’t used in years and I seem to recall that was one method for removing dust/dirt that gets blown on the car when it was just sitting. I also remember using Meguiars quick detailing spray (still have some in my shed, also not used for several years).

I will definitely get the 7424XP and us the polish and wax on my 2014 Accord. Do you have any opinion on the polisher sold at Harbor Freight?

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to go with the TW Hybrid line, and I use these products all the time now, I would..

1. Use their P&W to remove any minor defects.
    2. Then apply their spray coating. 1-2 coats.
    3. Maintain it with their WET WAX as you dry product.

Simple game plan. Packed with stellar results. These products have changed the way I detail my truck now. Made it fun again.

What to do for my new car?-0805191328-00-jpg
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also wondering what is recommended for tires and wheels?

Thanks again for the great input.

Mike Phillips

Do you have any opinion on the polisher sold at Harbor Freight?
    I have not used the newest version the Bauer branded polisher but I used the previous version and I thought it was absolute junk. In fact after using it, I was surprised how often I've seen others recommend it.

The PC is a TANK and will never let you down. I used one just the other day ago on an old 2-door Chevy and with the right pads on speed 6 setting it's a really nice tool.

Original Paint Restoration - 1970 Bronze Metallic Corvette - Pinnacle Jeweling Wax- Porter Cable

Here's everything I used...

And no matter what tool you buy, as I share in ALL m reviews and write-ups, the key to working FAST and the key to being EFFECTIVE with your time means using a lot of pads.

Wet, saturated soggy pads do squat and they do a lot of it.

I like what pro 4x recommend below so go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    If you want to go with the TW Hybrid line, and I use these products all the time now, I would..

1. Use their P&W to remove any minor defects.
    2. Then apply their spray coating. 1-2 coats.
    3. Maintain it with their WET WAX as you dry product.

Simple game plan. Packed with stellar results. These products have changed the way I detail my truck now. Made it fun again.

KISS = Keep it SIMPLE Simon

Mike Phillips

Also wondering what is recommended for tires and wheels?

Thanks again for the great input.

I wrote this just to answer this question. Besides great products or "liquids" you need great brushes.

Great brushes ENABLE you to work fast and work efficient. There's no other way to work fast and efficient. If you have crap for brushes you're simply wasting time.

Must Have Wheel Cleaning Brushes that make cleaning wheels fast and easy

Here are my MUST-HAVE brushes if I'm going to sit my butt down on the ground and clean my own wheels or anyone else's wheels.

And this - otherwise you're but gets wet.

Autogeek Knee N’ Back Pad

The Autogeek Knee N' Back cushion is also great for sitting on while sitting on the ground in front of wheels and tires.

Besides being a LOT more comfortable than concrete it also keeps your pants from getting wet when there's rinse water around the car.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.