autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Question Knowing your tools or owning all the tools?

I'm wondering what your approach, and others, is to tools and tasks. I'm a believer in "right tool for the job", but I also subscribe to knowing what the tools I have and products I use are capable of when used together in various situations. That said, the question is does it pay to have every single type of pad available, and compounds, etc. or to have a select group of good tools, accessories, and product and master them?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Knowing your tools or owning all the tools?

Well let me start by saying I have tried many, many detailing products. I have a lot of products. Some sit and don’t get used.

For me it’s now about finding a product I like and using it period. There needs to be some trial for personal preferences. That’s why it’s nice to buy smaller bottles then buy larger quantities.

It’s nice to have a variety of some polishes and compounds just because some paint systems react differently to different products. This is the one category I personally like to keep a few different brands of.

Pads I would say find some you like for different purposes(compounding, polishing, applying waxes exc) then buy a lot of them. Of course this comes to some trial and error.

Some products I suggest using up as long as it’s performing satisfactorily then trying another if you wish. Say something like glass cleaner or a tire dressing.

Polishers it’s nice to have a variety of types for different applications. This would be the main reason I would take one of Mikes classes(if I was just starting out) to see what I liked and to get some real hands on experience with different types and brands. His classes are all hands on.

It’s very easy to become a product hoarder. That can get costly if you are just detailing your own vehicles or doing this professionally. Next thing you know you have 26 different shampoos and 17 different quick detailers that all pretty much work the same.

When looking at purchasing a new tool or product ask yourself..... will it help me speed up, do something that I can’t currently or work much better than what I already have?

Try to avoid the “I wanna try that cuz it looks cool or is the newest fad in the detailing world” and you will save yourself money and storage space.

Coming from experience just use what works for you and don’t get caught up hoarding products.

I am one for spending time with a product or tool and mastering it full capabilities. Years ago my friend, who owns a body shop, laughed at me when I told him I could polish a freshly painted hood out with a Porter Cable DA polisher to look better than he did with his rotary. Long story short, He now ask me to train any new employees paint polishing techniques. So mastering a tool or product is very important.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Jim

3. Likes oneheadlite, Mike Hoekstra, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I firmly believe in knowing my tools/equipment and products and how to use them. This included various combinations of those items and the results they can produce.

Once I fully know my capabilities based on what I currently have it really helps me to access my capability gaps. As a hobbyist this keeps me from having piles of stuff I don't need that will just sit around and never get used.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Likes Mike Hoekstra, PaulMys liked this post

7. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For paint correction, I've always used the Wolfgang Uber 3.0 Compound, Polish, and Paint Sealant. I also used Meguires 105 and 205 for paint correction which I used for finishing out helmets etc. that I custom paint. As for polishers, I own the original Flex 3401 with aluminum housing, Flex XFE7, and Kompact Rotory. I also own the long neck iBrid Nano for tight spots. Other than that, I have a stable of products and pads that I stick with.

All that said, the Lake Country Transformer polisher is really freakin' cool and I would like a Flex Pixie. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I firmly believe in knowing my tools/equipment and products and how to use them. This included various combinations of those items and the results they can produce.

Once I fully know my capabilities based on what I currently have it really helps me to access my capability gaps. As a hobbyist this keeps me from having piles of stuff I don't need that will just sit around and never get used.
    Agree 100% Nate.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post