autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratched glass question

I have 3 white scratches, in close proximity to each other, on my driver’s side window. I hadn’t noticed them until my windows were tinted.

I own a Bauer 6” da and Griot’s 3” da. I am planning to use the Griot’s to try and buff them out. But had the following questions :

- What speed should I use / pad?
    - What product(s) should I use? Is it available at most stores ?

Hoping to get this polished out today.

thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scratched glass question-761a7db6-44a4-400d-ae16-16fdfddc00d8-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratched glass question

When we purchased our son's first car, a 2004 Chevy Malibu Classic, the windows were not great. He got home from work one evening and informed me the glare was terrible during the evening and the sand etching was very bad. I purchased CarPro Ceriglass and Pinnacle polish kit. I also purchased a backing pad and 5" pad for my Flex 3401 to do the bulk of the work. You can use the product straight or I misted water on the windows as well which helps keep the product moving. After I was done I treated with Pinnacle Glass Coat.

Glass Repair Kit

It's not going to pull out deep scratches, but for finer scratching and sand etching it worked very well. For something as severe as deep etching, or scratches, it would have to be a full-on wet sand and machine correction which I would have a professional facility that specializes in that do.

Post Thanks / Like

I dug back in some picture archives and found these two shots of the glass after I was finished with it. It's a slow process because you are polishing glass, but it worked. My friend commented "A hammer and a call to Safelite would have been faster." LMAO

Scratched glass question-44976725_1655774101194174_6350662532197253120_n-jpgScratched glass question-44932379_1655774051194179_371967253282816000_n-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    When we purchased our son's first car, a 2004 Chevy Malibu Classic, the windows were not great. He got home from work one evening and informed me the glare was terrible during the evening and the sand etching was very bad. I purchased CarPro Ceriglass and Pinnacle polish kit. I also purchased a backing pad and 5" pad for my Flex 3401 to do the bulk of the work. You can use the product straight or I misted water on the windows as well which helps keep the product moving. After I was done I treated with Pinnacle Glass Coat.

Glass Repair Kit

It's not going to pull out deep scratches, but for finer scratching and sand etching it worked very well. For something as severe as deep etching, or scratches, it would have to be a full-on wet sand and machine correction which I would have a professional facility that specializes in that do.

Didn't know you could wet sand deep scratches and get them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Here's the video I watched of the process/company. YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    Here's the video I watched of the process/company. YouTube
    I didn't watch the video because in the opening statement it said for minor scratches that you cannot feel with your fingernail. You said deep scratches..big difference.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Inverted View Post

I have 3 white scratches, in close proximity to each other, on my driver’s side window. I hadn’t noticed them until my windows were tinted.
    Here's your picture so we can all see it easier.

I own a Bauer 6” da and Griot’s 3” da. I am planning to use the Griot’s to try and buff them out. But had the following questions :

- What speed should I use / pad?
    - What product(s) should I use? Is it available at most stores ?

High speed for that tool.

As far as I know, there are not glass polishes at the retail level that contain cerium oxide. So you must shop online. We carry CarPro Ceriglass here at Autogeek and I've used it MULTIPLE times and when used correctly it works.

CarPro Ceriglass

It is VERY TIME CONSUMING.

In fact, most of the stories I've read and heard from people that have "tried" to remove scratches and pitting from their car's windshield go like this,

It took too long and it was too hard so I gave up

Me? I just muscle through it and have patience.

8. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

I have all the pictures to show how I machine sanded a scratch out the the back glass on an Audi R10 a few months ago.

Took me about 5 hours.

I used the RUPES Nano in rotary mode to start and then worked my way out with 5" discs. It was really hard as in took a lot of muscle and patience. I would say that 99.9% of the population could NEVER do this type of work successfully and would give up before they were done leaving an even bigger mess.

I always tell people this process is MESSY. Here's my latest technique to avoid getting splatter dots al lover the place.

And for years now I've shared what I call

The Buddy System

Practicing what I preach....

I think after some people try and give up their windshield somehow accidentally get cracked or broken and they call their insurance company.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies. So I just need something confirmed. A local detailer I spoke with said my scratches could not be addressed. He said : “Once you can feel them with your finger, cerium oxide won’t help. You need to replace the glass.” He basically said that cerium oxide and rayan pads aren’t for scuffed glass.

Is this accurate ?

Ps: That R10 is drool worthy

Mike Phillips

Thank you for the replies. So I just need something confirmed. A local detailer I spoke with said my scratches could not be addressed.

He said :

“Once you can feel them with your finger, cerium oxide won’t help. You need to replace the glass.”

He basically said that cerium oxide and rayon pads aren’t for scuffed glass.

Is this accurate ?
    He's mostly correct.

Your fingernail would have DROPPED into the scratch on the Audi in the picture above. I fixed it. But I would say he's correct. As I stated above, 99.9% of the population could not fix it.

Experience counts for something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast