autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Combination of Sealeant and Wax Recomendation

Hi Mike...

Hope you and your family are OK. I am fairly new on detailing as i have always maintained my cars by hand.

I bought a Griots Garage G6 and some pads and i am very happy with the results so i will like some recommendations on maintenance. I am using a 3D One 2/3 stage compound / polish or 3D AIO and i am toping it with Xtreme Solutions Polyseal Sealant and I wash my cars weekly with Meguires. I really like this combination but i am looking for more durability on the protection.

My questions are the following as what i am looking is for durability as 2 of the cars sleep outside 24/7:

1. Should I only use the Sealant to maintain it monthly or it is a waste of time and money as the sealant is suppose to be there for around 6 months?
    2. Is it a best practice to top the Sealant with a Wax in order to get more durability and protection?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Combination of Sealeant and Wax Recomendation

I would just stick with a sealant...the newer thing to do is use a ceramic coating....The only thing you have to clay the car or use a paint prep....wish you luck...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestion @weekend warrior.

Post Thanks / Like

No experience with the Xtreme Solutions sealant, but if you want durability, WG Deep Gloss is excellent.

Or, you can try a hybrid wax/sealant such as Collinite 845 or 476.

Either way, using it every month would be a waste of time, product, and effort. That is the beauty of using a quality LSP.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    No experience with the Xtreme Solutions sealant, but if you want durability, WG Deep Gloss is excellent.

Or, you can try a hybrid wax/sealant such as Collinite 845 or 476.

Either way, using it every month would be a waste of time, product, and effort. That is the beauty of using a quality LSP.
    Thanks @Paulmys.... I will have to give those products a try. I have rea a lot on the Collinite but never used them.

Any preference on which one of the 2? Also and sorry for the ignorance but what is LSP?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wcharon View Post
    Thanks @Paulmys.... I will have to give those products a try. I have rea a lot on the Collinite but never used them.

Any preference on which one of the 2? Also and sorry for the ignorance but what is LSP?
    No "ignorance" here on AGO. We all started from scratch.

LSP: Last Stage Product. It is the last thing you apply to the paint.

As far as differences in 845/476, the 845 is a liquid, and the 476 is a paste. You apply both VERY thinly.

The 845 is a bit more user-friendly as in you can apply it to the the entire vehicle and then go back and wipe off.

The 476 is a different animal. Apply one section at a time, then immediately wipe off within 1-2 minutes. If you do not, it is a bear to remove.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

845 is a liquid wax and much easier to work with, pretty solid durability, great shine and gloss. 476 is a paste wax, requires a little more finesse but is super durable (for a wax). 915 is another option, paste wax as well but awesome shine/gloss.

LSP is last step product, consider it something you would apply as the last thing. Sometimes you'll also hear of products that you also apply last to really make sure you didn't miss any areas and amp up the finish. There are many quick detailer type products that fall in this range that can be used regularly after you've laid down a good base product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lopezi View Post
    845 is a liquid wax and much easier to work with, pretty solid durability, great shine and gloss. 476 is a paste wax, requires a little more finesse but is super durable (for a wax). 915 is another option, paste wax as well but awesome shine/gloss.

LSP is last step product, consider it something you would apply as the last thing. Sometimes you'll also hear of products that you also apply last to really make sure you didn't miss any areas and amp up the finish. There are many quick detailer type products that fall in this range that can be used regularly after you've laid down a good base product.
    No "ignorance" here on AGO. We all started from scratch.

LSP: Last Stage Product. It is the last thing you apply to the paint.

As far as differences in 845/476, the 845 is a liquid, and the 476 is a paste. You apply both VERY thinly.

The 845 is a bit more user-friendly as in you can apply it to the the entire vehicle and then go back and wipe off.

The 476 is a different animal. Apply one section at a time, then immediately wipe off within 1-2 minutes. If you do not, it is a bear to remove.
    Thanks to both... Understood and thanks for the clarifications.... Actually i was looking at some videos on the Wolfgang and it seems impressive.

I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wcharon View Post
    Thanks to both... Understood and thanks for the clarifications.... Actually i was looking at some videos on the Wolfgang and it seems impressive.

I appreciate it.
    WGDGPS is an incredible product. Just keep in mind the 12 hour cure time in which it cannot be exposed to moisture.....

Post Thanks / Like

WGDGPS is an incredible product. Just keep in mind the 12 hour cure time in which it cannot be exposed to moisture.....
    Yeppppp, also saw that in the directions and it have a 45 minute cure prior removing.

Will give it a try and also top it with the Wax to see the results as the car sleeps outside 24/7 but i can garage it while i finish the process.

Once again, Thanks Buddy. Will keep you posted.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post