autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Grad Gift Package

Mike,
    Got a friend who's son is graduating and is gonna take a serious step up in his detailing over the summer and use it for college funds throughout the year. We're all chipping in and getting him set up, trying to see what's the way to roll for a simple kit that can cover a broad range of vehicles. He's got a TORQ polisher and a few pads, some LSP's, and other oddballs. Thoughts were to get him a good shampoo, correction compount/polish set, and some pads to work with the compounds, as well as a high volume wax, a sealant, and a nice wax. Pretty set on the Meg's HyperWash, and some of the other stuff, it just makes sense in the concentrated bottles. Where I'm kinda stuck is the pad/polish. Trying to limit it to what a college kid can keep in an apartment, read not 30 bottles, and work with his pads to cover most bases.
    GTI-S1000R-R1250GS

2. Likes HockeyCrazi liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Grad Gift Package

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post

Mike,

Got a friend who's son is graduating and is gonna take a serious step up in his detailing over the summer and use it for college funds throughout the year. We're all chipping in and getting him set up, trying to see what's the way to roll for a simple kit that can cover a broad range of vehicles.
    Very cool. Detailing cars is a great way to make money on the side. Especially if he can learn how to get his prices higher than the norm.

Even charging $300.00 for a simple detail is better than charging $199.00

He's got a TORQ polisher and a few pads, some LSP's, and other oddballs.
    There's a number of these tools with different stroke lengths, try to find out which model specifically.

Thoughts were to get him a good shampoo, correction compound/polish set, and some pads to work with the compounds, as well as a high volume wax, a sealant, and a nice wax.
    Great idea. Here's where I would need to know what backing plate size is on the polisher and the stroke length?

If it's the TorQ 10FX, then it's an 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher with a 5" backing plate. If this is the case and he's going to keep it SIMPLE -(my strong recommendation), then load him up with Griot's BOSS 5.5" ORANGE foam pads and quarts of BLACKFIRE One Step.

A simple detail means using a ONE-STEP product, not 3 steps for just the paint after the normal washing, drying and claying.

1. Compounding
    2. Polishing
    3. Waxing

He'll spend too much time on the paint and never make a dime.

Here's what he wants to do,

Have 3 packages,

Package 1 - Outside only, wash, clay BLACKFIRE One Step, dress tires, clean glass and done. $300.00 to $500.00

Package 2 - Outside only, wash, clay polish, chemically strip and coat. Dress tires, clean glass and done. $500.00 to $1000.00

Package 3 - Avoid doing Package 3 but have it as an option to scare customer into Package 1 or 2. Package 3 is for cars in REALLY BAD SHAPE that need COMPOUNDING. That would look like this,

Outside only, wash, clay, compound, polish, chemically strip and coat. Dress tires, clean glass and done. $1000.00 to $1500.00

And add $200.00 to $300.00 for large vehicles. So the above is for a 2016 Honda 4-door Accord. Add $200.00 to $300.00 for anyone with an SUV, Van or Truck. Basically anything where you have to get on a Werner Work Platform to reach the roof.

KISS - KEEP it SIMPLE SIMON.

Pretty set on the Meg's HyperWash, and some of the other stuff, it just makes sense in the concentrated bottles. Where I'm kinda stuck is the pad/polish. Trying to limit it to what a college kid can keep in an apartment, read not 30 bottles, and work with his pads to cover most bases.[/QUOTE]

4. Likes HockeyCrazi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

If it's the TorQ 10FX, then it's an 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher with a 5" backing plate. If this is the case and he's going to keep it SIMPLE -(my strong recommendation), then load him up with Griot's BOSS 5.5" ORANGE foam pads and quarts of BLACKFIRE One Step.
    It is that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

A simple detail means using a ONE-STEP product, not 3 steps for just the paint after the normal washing, drying and claying.

1. Compounding
    2. Polishing
    3. Waxing

He'll spend too much time on the paint and never make a dime.

Here's what he wants to do,

Have 3 packages,

Package 1 - Outside only, wash, clay BLACKFIRE One Step, dress tires, clean glass and done. $300.00 to $500.00
    Package 2 - Outside only, wash, clay polish, chemically strip and coat. Dress tires, clean glass and done. $500.00 to $1000.00
    Package 3 - Avoid doing Package 3 but have it as an option to scare customer into Package 1 or 2. Package 3 is for cars in REALLY BAD SHAPE that need COMPOUNDING. That would look like this,

Outside only, wash, clay, compound, polish, chemically strip and coat. Dress tires, clean glass and done. $1000.00 to $1500.00

And add $200.00 to $300.00 for large vehicles. So the above is for a 2016 Honda 4-door Accord. Add $200.00 to $300.00 for anyone with an SUV, Van or Truck. Basically anything where you have to get on a Werner Work Platform to reach the roof.

His work is good and will improve with better products, as well as get faster. His bread and butter is no different than most, wash and wax, sometimes with a quick correction. The one step seems to fit that very well. I'm on him for pricing, as is his family.

Appreciate the reply. Any merits to the 3D One? My lack of experience witrh the Blackfire had me gravitating to it, but I'm all ears. Been following you for a long while, we're set on doing what you suggest product wise.
    GTI-S1000R-R1250GS

Mike Phillips

It is that one.
    Then load up on these pads for one-steps. While I normally recommend "polishing" pads for one-steps, not cutting pads, these Griot's BOSS orange foam cutting pads are NOT that sharp. So you get good correction without the risk of pad haze from the pad.

Griots Garage BOSS 5.5 inch Orange Correcting Pad - 2 Pack

Please take a few minutes to read through my detailed answers in this thread from yesterday. Specifically what I have to say about these pads in post #4

New Car Prep and Ceramics - Recommendations Please

His work is good and will improve with better products, as well as get faster. His bread and butter is no different than most, wash and wax, sometimes with a quick correction.

The one step seems to fit that very well. I'm on him for pricing, as is his family.

Appreciate the reply.

Any merits to the 3D One? My lack of experience witrh the Blackfire had me gravitating to it, but I'm all ears.

3D One is a GREAT compound/polish but it's not a ONE-STEP Cleaner/wax. This means after you use it - you have to do a second step to SEAL the paint. Pro grade comounds and polishes are WATER SOLUBLE - they offer zero protection. Thus a great product for Package 2 but you need a cleaner/wax or what some call an AIO for a one-step package.

You won't regret BLACKFIRE One Step - it is freaking amazing.

Here's what I wrote about 3D One in this review,

Review: 3D Paint Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

What is it?
    A new generation compound/polish.

What does it do?

Works like an aggressive cutting compound or a final finishing polish depending upon the pad and tool you use.

When do I use it?

Anytime you want to remove deep paint defects like swirls, scratches or sanding marks after wet sanding. Or you can use it to remove shallow defects or for a second step after the heavy cutting step. It's a combination one-step compound/polish.

Why should I use it?

To removed paint defects before sealing the paint with a wax, synthetic sealant or ceramic paint coating. It will create a defect-free finish to restore a factory new look.

From the manufacturer

3D ONE Hybrid cutting compound and finishing polish accelerate polishing performance. It has nano ceramic alumina abrasives that easily correct paint scratches by using a DA or high-speed rotary polisher.

3D One is a unique product: apply on a cutting pad to remove heavy scratches and then apply on a finishing pad to deliver an exceptional high gloss finish.

It’s easy to use easy to clean up and it leaves the perfect finish every time. It works best when applied in a shaded area, but it is also sun-friendly.

AND - watch the 5th video in this thread. I explain in DETAIL why you need a LOT of pads and even though you'll spend more up front to build-up a collection because you don't TORTURE and PUNISH just a few pads -all your pads will last longer over time.

Complete List of Live Broadcast Videos on YouTube - Yancy Martinez & Mike Phillips