autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looks like its past the point of no return or just severely oxidized? Can it be fixed?

Heres a couple of pics from today. The car is dusty but still looks great one week later.

Yes those are clouds you see in the reflection!

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Looks like its past the point of no return or just severely oxidized? Can it be fixed?

What happened to that car you we're working on?

I see a completely different car.

4. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN, tidmack thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    What happened to that car you we're working on?

I see a completely different car.

Hard to say, maybe it was a ghostLooks like its past the point of no return or just severely oxidized? Can it be fixed?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The above was in my first how-to book, The Art of Detailing

Then when I updated it and came out with The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine, I added another category. So now there are 12 Paint Condition Categories, not 11 categories.

The added category was

#10 Beginning Clearcoat Failure

And the reason why is becasue it is a condtioin of paint and it's very different than actual clearcoat failure.

Clear as mud?

Mike, I'm working on a re write of my show and shine article on this ford focus. Now I've went down the rabbit hole and thought of something.

When your talking about extreme oxidation in single stage paints you mentioned rejuvenating the paint with polishing oils. Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze comes to mind when I think of this.

I know that modern clear coats are basically plastics, but it says in your writings [QUOTE=Mike Phillips;1682447]Paint with extreme oxidation can be saved by carefully removing the dead, oxidized paint and rejuvenating with polishing oils[QUOTE=Mike Phillips;1682447]

Now here's this. What if we rubbed a hood down like this the night before with the #7 show car glaze to soften up the dead paint, then came back the following day and compounded off the dead paint.

Do you think that the #7 Show Car Glaze would Soften up the dead paint and make it easier to remove via the compounding process for clear coat paint?

I can remember when I did this job that there was A LOT of dead paint building up on the face of the fiber pad I was using. Actually I wished that I had more pads to get the hood done because my pad was getting loaded up with a lot of material and product, but I just kept cleaning it on the fly.

Eventually my fiber pad got so loaded up that I had to finish the compounding process with a foam cutting pad.

Im thinking now that maybe I could have just used a rotary with a wool pad instead for the compounding process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post
    Mike, I'm working on a re write of my show and shine article on this ford focus. Now I've went down the rabbit hole and thought of something.

When your talking about extreme oxidation in single stage paints you mentioned rejuvenating the paint with polishing oils. Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze comes to mind when I think of this...

Now here's this. What if we rubbed a hood down like this the night before with the #7 show car glaze to soften up the dead paint, then came back the following day and compounded off the dead paint.

Do you think that the #7 Show Car Glaze would Soften up the dead paint and make it easier to remove via the compounding process for clear coat paint?

I can remember when I did this job that there was A LOT of dead paint building up on the face of the fiber pad I was using. Actually I wished that I had more pads to get the hood done because my pad was getting loaded up with a lot of material and product, but I just kept cleaning it on the fly.

Eventually my fiber pad got so loaded up that I had to finish the compounding process with a foam cutting pad.

Im thinking now that maybe I could have just used a rotary with a wool pad instead for the compounding process.
    If I had that job, I think I'd do the Comet Cleanser method to remove the bulk of the dead paint before touching it with any pad besides an aggressive wool on a rotary. Even then I'd probably do the Comet thing first. I don't think there is any easier/quicker way to remove the dead paint and the end result would be exactly the same.

I never did the Comet thing on a clear-coat so I'm not sure how it would work, but that would be my starting point. Obviously - a small test spot first.

9. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    If I had that job, I think I'd do the Comet Cleanser method to remove the bulk of the dead paint before touching it with any pad besides an aggressive wool on a rotary. Even then I'd probably do the Comet thing first. I don't think there is any easier/quicker way to remove the dead paint and the end result would be exactly the same.

I never did the Comet thing on a clear-coat so I'm not sure how it would work, but that would be my starting point. Obviously - a small test spot first.
    Yea that's a great Idea! I remember reading about that! Thanks John! I appreciate you buddy!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456