autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Video Class: Tire Coatings - Machine Scrubbing Tires - BEFORE & AFTER Pictures

Here's the video from this LIVE DETAILING CLASS

Here's the tools and products I'll be showcasing for this online detailing class.

Pinnacle Black Label Products

Complete PBL Tire Coating Kit

Pinnacle Black Label Complete Tire Coating Kit

Individual products

Pinnacle Black Label Tire Clear Coat

Pinnacle Black Label Gel Tire Cleaner 8 oz

Griots Garage Hand Wax Applicators, Set of 3

Tuf Shine Products

Complete Tuf Shine Tire Coating Kit

TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit

Individual products

TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat

TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner 22 ounce

TUF SHINE Tire Brush

Machine Scrubbing

FLEX PE-150 Cordless Rotary Polisher

Heavy-Duty DA Carpet Brush – Long Bristles

Rotary 4 ľ inch Flexible Backing Plate

Mike Phillips

Re:Video Class: Tire Coatings - Machine Scrubbing Tires - BEFORE & AFTER Pictures

Before and After Pictures

Pinnacle Black Label Tire Cleaner and Tire Clear Coat

Driver's side front tire

This tire was machine scrubbed 3-4 times with Pinnacle Black Label Tire Cleaner and then ONE application of the Pinnacle Black Label Tire Clear Coat was applied.

BEFORE

After cleaning only

AFTER one application of the PBL Tire Clear Coat

Passenger side front tire

This tire was machine scrubbed 3-4 times with Pinnacle Black Label Tire Cleaner and then TWO applications of the Pinnacle Black Label Tire Clear Coat was applied.

Before

After 2 applications of PBL Tire Clear Coat

Passenger side rear tire

This tire was machine scrubbed 3-4 times with Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner and then FIVE applications of the Tuf Shine Tire Coating was applied.

BEFORE

AFTER

Driver's side rear tire

This tire was machine scrubbed 3-4 times with Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner and then SIX applications of the Tuf Shine Tire Coating was applied.

BEFORE

AFTER

Final results for this 1932 Ford Highboy Deuce Roadster

The PBL Tire Clear Coat Kit

The Tuf Shine Kit plus everything I used to clean the tires and apply the coating

Behind the scenes

Here's Yancy setting up...

I took this picture right before we started the LIVE DETAILING CLASS

We actually shared more tips, techniques and information in this one video than in any of our 1/2 hour TV shows. Of course I don't have the beautiful AJ to stand around and look pretty but if you want MEATY info - that's what's shared.

2" x 4" chunk of wood about 16" long with the ends cut at 45 degrees

Post Thanks / Like

Re:Video Class: Tire Coatings - Machine Scrubbing Tires - BEFORE & AFTER Pictures

We're you using Tuf shine also on the tire?

Mike Phillips

Re: Video Class: Tire Coatings - Machine Scrubbing Tires - BEFORE & AFTER Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Blacklightn25 View Post

We're you using Tuf shine also on the tire

I used the Tuf Shine brand cleaner and coating on the back tires.

I used the PBL Tire Clear Coat cleaner and coating on the front tires.

I have AMAZING before and after pictures to share but I have a new product to review that I must process the pictures and then write before EOD.

Stay tuned....

Post Thanks / Like

My test tires used the Tuff Shine and I did have reasonable luck with 6+ months on those tires. Yes they did get dirty between washes but using regular soap they cleaned off back to matte finish.

My only gripe is all the PREP work to make sure they tires are totally clean! Doing it with my drill brush setup and 5-times on each tire still is lots of labor and sweat equity. Worth it over time but the day you do a proper cleaning takes time. I think I have heard that is worth about $75/tire if were to do this as part of a detailing business. I guess the proper response is to offer it at a lower price, perhaps $10/tire and give the customer the brush and tell him 'get' scrubbing! Provide the supplies and let him do the first one by himself. Bet that many will walk away.

See, I hate that prep work! LOL

And do follow the directions on the Tuff Shine Coating, do not use aggressive chemicals or cleaners after applying this product. It will not last and I have a YouTuber that can attest to the lesson. They did admit they should have read them afterwards.

Hump day, and it's my Friday off!

Mike Phillips

Re: Video Class: Tire Coatings - Machine Scrubbing Tires - BEFORE & AFTER Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

My test tires used the Tuff Shine and I did have reasonable luck with 6+ months on those tires.
    I get much longer. But I apply 5-6 coats.

Yes they did get dirty between washes but using regular soap they cleaned off back to matte finish.
    Yep - just car wash soap and water. You cold even use a spray detailer or waterless wash to clean the coating.

My only gripe is all the PREP work to make sure they tires are totally clean! Doing it with my drill brush setup and 5-times on each tire still is lots of labor and sweat equity. Worth it over time but the day you do a proper cleaning takes time.
    Wait until you get your rotary and the brush. It's still work but it's so much easier on you than trying to hold a drill with a brush on the end and it's so POWERFUL.

I think I have heard that is worth about $75/tire if were to do this as part of a detailing business.
    I've done $50.00 so $200.00 for a set of 4 tires. With the cordless rotary it goes a lot faster. I like the idea of $300.00 better.

I guess the proper response is to offer it at a lower price, perhaps $10/tire and give the customer the brush and tell him 'get' scrubbing! Provide the supplies and let him do the first one by himself. Bet that many will walk away.
    Even if your customer has the muscle and inclination - without training or watching the above video they would be lost on what to do and how to properly do it.

Thanks for commenting Kirby.

Post Thanks / Like

On videos/pictures that front driver's side tire done with PBL instead of Tuffshine looks a lot less glossy than the tires done with Tuffshine. Is it like that too in person?

It seems like a lot of work, even with a machine to do the scrubbing, seems like more work than I'd be willing to put into tires. I don't mind applying a dressing every time I wash.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

On videos/pictures that front driver's side tire done with PBL instead of Tuffshine looks a lot less glossy than the tires done with Tuffshine. Is it like that too in person?
    Yes - but that was the goal. AND - On the driver's side I only applied one coat or one application, like you saw in the video. On the passenger side front time I wiped around the tire twice.

The PBL is supposed to be one-and-done. Faster and easier.

The Tuf Shine process I did takes a lot more time and some people don't like their tires to look like glossy black plastic. (I do)

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

It seems like a lot of work, even with a machine to do the scrubbing, seems like more work than I'd be willing to put into tires.

I don't mind applying a dressing every time I wash.

Copy that.

There is a LOT more work up front but to me the dividends pay off big time. No messy, oily, greasy tire sidewalls.

But - that's just me.

9. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Mike Phillips

As I walk out the door, I'll take a picture of some tires I coated at least 6 months ago for an all original 1970 Corvette.