autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning dusty motorcycle before ride

So I have a black motorcycle (1993 Triumph Trident 900). It sits under a tent of sorts by the side of the house (New Jersey). If I let the bike sit for a day, it’ll be covered in dust, specks of dirt and leaves that swirls around as the tent isn’t completely sealed. I used to use the California duster but that has wrecked the paint with swirl marks. When I need to ride, I can’t always do a complete wash as it’s not practical. I can’t ride the bike dirty either because my jacket and my thighs run the dust and particles into the tank causing scratches.

Now, I’m looking into paint correction and trying to figure out how to avoid this situation in the future. I have been using Griots Garage Spray on Car Wash, wiping it off with one towel and then buffing it off with another towel. I think it’s working. Can this type of method work safely? Is there another idea that you guys can give me?

Cleaning dusty motorcycle before ride-f21cfd52-3a3c-4b37-ba9a-b24bdc8fe311-jpeg

Mike Phillips

Re: Cleaning dusty motorcycle before ride

I love this tool but it takes a large air compressor to power it.

Tornador Air Blow Out Gun - A Favorite Cool Tool

Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like that tool, but I don’t have an air compressor. I do, however, have a blower that I have been using to blow much of the dust off. It’s the Cyclone Blower and it is filtered. It helps but not completely. I then use the Griots rinseless spray. Afterwards, I would apply some Griots quick detail and buff off. Do you think that would be enough lubrication to prevent swirls and scratches? Is there another that is more viscous or more lubricating that would work?

Post Thanks / Like

1. Blow off what dust you can

2. Use the Griots Garage Spray on Car Wash but make sure you are using your MF towel(s) correctly. Check out this article from Mike P. :

How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel

By using this method you will have 8 fresh "sides" for each towel. Make one wipe per "side" thus ensuring you aren't wiping previously-removed dirt back in to your paint and causing scratches, etc.

3. Consider trying something like Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash or Optimum ONR. These concentrates will allow you to make your own spray = more cost effective + you can alter the mix ratios to increase lubricity (ie. using the waterless wash ratio or quick detail ratio).

Probably your safest method would be to use one of these concentrates, mix up a rinseless solution in a bucket (go slightly stronger if you're really worried), soak multiple MF towels in the solution for a few minutes, and then wash with the MF towels (still use the 8 "sides" method).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    1. Blow off what dust you can

2. Use the Griots Garage Spray on Car Wash but make sure you are using your MF towel(s) correctly. Check out this article from Mike P. :

How to correctly fold and use a Microfiber Towel

By using this method you will have 8 fresh "sides" for each towel. Make one wipe per "side" thus ensuring you aren't wiping previously-removed dirt back in to your paint and causing scratches, etc.

3. Consider trying something like Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash or Optimum ONR. These concentrates will allow you to make your own spray = more cost effective + you can alter the mix ratios to increase lubricity (ie. using the waterless wash ratio or quick detail ratio).

Probably your safest method would be to use one of these concentrates, mix up a rinseless solution in a bucket (go slightly stronger if you're really worried), soak multiple MF towels in the solution for a few minutes, and then wash with the MF towels (still use the 8 "sides" method).
    This is exactly what I was looking for. The folding microfiber trick is brilliant. That way, the dirt doesn’t see the paint again. I have Opti Coat No Rinse and Opti Coat Hyper Seal. I could make a spray using that as a washing method at the washing concentrate. Thank you so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post
    This is exactly what I was looking for. The folding microfiber trick is brilliant. That way, the dirt doesn’t see the paint again. I have Opti Coat No Rinse and Opti Coat Hyper Seal. I could make a spray using that as a washing method at the washing concentrate. Thank you so much.
    You're welcome.

But really the kudos should go to Mike P., he seems to know a thing or two about this detailing stuff.