autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Off topic. Fiberglass detailing tub

OK,
    So I have a fiberglass tub enclosure. Wife reports that after cleaning the shower is dull. I can see the kind of scratches you can't feel but, make the surface look dull under the light. So this unit is gray and I guess the color would be in the gel coat? I had a small OLD sample of "fiberglass restorer" which made the non scratchy part look good but did nothing for the cloudy/scratched parts. So I tried test patches of Turtle wax ceramic hybrid on foam hand pad, and Griot's all in one sealant by hand powered using an orange polish bad. There was not much improvement and there is a lot of 'drag" on the applicator pad and MF wipe off. I can still see the scratches in the light when I look through the shower glass especially, it's less visible when I just look directly at the fiberglass in the sunlight.

So what type product and what application method can I use if any on this fiberglass. Can any of the dozen auto products I have hanging around be useful?

If I make this look as nice as the car I can be a hero.

Sorry for the off topic.

TIA

Mike Phillips

Re: Off topic. Fiberglass detailing tub

Quote Originally Posted by arthur1920 View Post

So what type product and what application method can I use if any on this fiberglass. Can any of the dozen auto products I have hanging around be useful?

My guess is it is some form of gel-coat? Now days there's been a lot of changes in how to make pre-fabricated parts out of plastic, (all forms of plastic), that it's hard to know.

My question is - what type of polisher do you have?

Mike Phillips

Sorry for the late reply - looks like this thread was started on a Sunday, I try to push away from the keyboard at least one day a week as it's not healthy for people or family life to work 7 days a week.

I've been answering questions solid since 9:00am this Monday morning and it's 1:30pm already, so yeah, the forum is really busy lately.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Griot's DA 5.5 inch and the 3 inch. I have some foam and some microfiber pads. I would think it best to use the 3 inch? There's a lot of vertical holding to do and physically I have a few issues.

I seem to recall, back a couple of decades, that when we got fiberglass parts for race cars that were hand laid up, we used that Dupont Simonize Compound paste in the green can to bring up a shine on the just finished part

PS that's ok. I didn't really expect you to answer on a Sun PM. I just put it up there for when you got to it.

Mike Phillips

I have the Griot's DA 5.5 inch and the 3 inch. I have some foam and some microfiber pads. I would think it best to use the 3 inch? There's a lot of vertical holding to do and physically I have a few issues.
    As you know - the larger Griot's DA has a LOT more power. I'd use it where it will fit and use the 3" where it wont.

As for pads - gel-coat likes wool pads, so I guess microfiber would probably suffice. When it comes to foam pads - gel-coat like hard SHARP pads like the RUPES blue coarse foam pad. There's a BUNCH of recent threads in the boat detailing forum group where myself and other forum members have walked people through the process of taking neglected boats back to brand new and it usually includes,

Marine 31 Captain's Compound
    Wool pads on a rotary buffer
    RUPES blue foam pads on any DA
    Then seal somehow

All of the thing above work. As soon as you start substituting other brands I can't vouch for the results.

Read through these,

Help! My first detail project, and its a 26ft boat!

Polishing gelcoat makes it go dull - what am I doing wrong?

Gelcoat Polish Question - Removed swirls but also deep gloss? - Pics

Random Orbital OK on boat gel coat?

I seem to recall, back a couple of decades, that when we got fiberglass parts for race cars that were hand laid up, we used that Dupont Simonize Compound paste in the green can to bring up a shine on the just finished part.

I believe it. That product is "Rocks in a Can" - I think I have some? It kind of goes with what I said above, gel-coat don't like soft stuff.

PS that's ok. I didn't really expect you to answer on a Sun PM. I just put it up there for when you got to it.

Thanks. I play catch-up on Monday.

As I type, it's 4:17pm and outside of some pad and microfiber laundry - all I've done all day is type out answers on the forum and attend an IDA conference call.

Discussion forum are not and were never meant to be

Instananeous

But some people do think that.

Mike Phillips

Question....

Where do you live?

The lower 48 states?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New England. And I have well water. No iron to speak of, slightly acidic, has carbonates

Mike Phillips

New England. And I have well water. No iron to speak of, slightly acidic, has carbonates

Because abrasive technology is so important as it relates to results, I have an open bottle of the Marine 31 Captain's Compound in my boat detailing class inventory. If you don't mind an open bottle, PM me your shipping address and I'll send it to you to test out.

Mike Phillips

Hey Arthur,

Your sample and some pads shipped out today.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you.
    Very Kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast