autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Putting a 6" Backing Plate on a machine purchased with a 5" backing plate (Possible?)

Quote Originally Posted by MartyK View Post

Having watched your video 3 times during the weekend I would not have been able to do this. It has helped me SO much.

I can hardly find a single swirl now at all.
    This is great news!

Remaining are a couple of deep scratches which can only be seen under a light when parked at a petrol station. Little bit hesitant to do any sanding to be honest in case i damage it.
    We call these RIDS - here's my article on the topic time stamp is March 10th, 2010

RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term...

We carry a product from Jason Kilmer and Team that uses this acronym in the name of the product.

KXK R.I.D. STIX

I would recommend learning to live with them for the reasons I believe I've already shared previously. See these two articles and they are topical for this topic.

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

Wetsanding - Fresh Paint vs Factory Paint

Wetsanding removes paint - Compounding removes paint - Polishing removes a little paint

Having done all your techniques, your tips of pressure, your tips on section passes and watching your video 3 times it has made my result very satisfactory. So thanks again Mike. All the best
    Good to hear and very rewarding to hear too...

Also how long should pads last? How do I know when they are worn out? Do they wear out so much it goes down to nothing?
    I get years out of mine but I don't torture them. Watch this video to see what I say about the words

Violent & Torture

See video #5 here,

Complete List of Live Broadcast Videos on YouTube - Yancy Martinez & Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Putting a 6" Backing Plate on a machine purchased with a 5" backing plate (Possible?)

Thanks Mike for those links they are really useful.

I know these circular DA pads are really good for things like hoods and trunks but what about when it comes to needing swirl removal on the narrow bits of the paintwork? Presumably it would need to be done by hand and if so, what hand applicator can you suggest for removing quite heavy swirling on those bits the DA pads can't do?

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

I know these circular DA pads are really good for things like hoods and trunks but what about when it comes to needing swirl removal on the narrow bits of the paintwork?
    I show 2 ways to do it here,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1676898

Louvers are about as intricate and thin as it gets.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mike.

Excellent. Had a good watch of the FB video and looks like the thing I am after.

I have another question. Yesterday I spent almost all day polishing up my Dads hood on the his car. He got a black car but I don't think the paint job is original. We both have the same cars. Both of them are Hyundai Sonata 2016 models. My paint job just seems a lot better quality. My car is kind of a silvery grey. His one could very well have been repainted at some point. I just don't know.

For example his hood just always seems to have water spots after washing every time. Its very hard to keep on top of them... more so than my car. Whats this to do with? Is it because he has a bad / thin clear coat?

I was disappointed because yesterday not only did I polish the hood, but I also waxed it and then today I washed down the roof which meant that excess water splatter got back onto the hood and even though I used a quick drying towel to wipe the water off I noticed that in the sunshine it showed loads more water spots up. Even after waxing it yesterday. It just seems very vulnerable to water spots. So as you can imagine every time we get rain it shows them up very clearly.

Any ideas Mike?

Cheers

Mike Phillips

For example his hood just always seems to have water spots after washing every time. Its very hard to keep on top of them... more so than my car.

Whats this to do with?

Any ideas Mike?

I don't know except to say, it has to make you think,

What's in the water?

Clearcoat paint is actually pretty tough.

So WHAT is in the water that is so CORROSIVE that it's eating through the wax you put on the paint and then staining and even ETCHING or EATING into the paint?

I'm so glad I wrote this article. The point of the article isn't ABOUT water - it's about what's in YOUR water where you LIVE?

What's in the water?

6. Likes MartyK liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike!

Thanks so much for always replying so promptly to my posts and providing me with all this help.

I will have a good look at that now. Bit of a mystery at the moment. I will have a read and then do a test tomorrow to be more certain of what exactly is happening. All I know is that with the paintjob on it, it shows up like ALL water spots even after the wax. However it is only showing up water spots which have gone onto it after doing the wax.. Maybe i just need to wipe them off with water then a drying towel perhaps I don't know if its because its a black car and that black cars are more easier to spot them? Having done the polishing I have (Thanks to your YouTube link you gave me a few weeks back) it has brought out the most amazing gloss I have never seen on that particular car (Dads). I waxed it using the chemical guys butter wet wax. Any other waxes you personally recommend?

Watched another video yesterday of you demonstrating the FLEX with the Wolf Gang (3 stage) range. That looked pretty good!

Cheers.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also Mike, how familiar are you with the 3M compounds and polishes? I wondered if it would be at all possible to use their compounds on pads which aren't 3M and on a DA polisher instead of a rotary?

Mike Phillips

I will have a read and then do a test tomorrow to be more certain of what exactly is happening. All I know is that with the paint job on it, it shows up like ALL water spots even after the wax. However it is only showing up water spots which have gone onto it after doing the wax.
    Without being there - I don't know what to say.

I waxed it using the chemical guys butter wet wax. Any other waxes you personally recommend?
    For the type of work you're doing, I like the combo this guy used.

Black Fire Clay Mitt, One Step, plus Black Ice Sealant Wax

Watched another video yesterday of you demonstrating the FLEX with the Wolf Gang (3 stage) range. That looked pretty good!
    Can't go wrong with FLEX and Wolfgang.

Also Mike, how familiar are you with the 3M compounds and polishes? I wondered if it would be at all possible to use their compounds on pads which aren't 3M and on a DA polisher instead of a rotary?
    3M makes great products. In the past, they have not catered to enthusiasts or pro detailers, they focus on body shops and the OEM.

Sometimes you have to take a hit for the team. Get their products, use them and write a review like I do. Share with the "team".

For Use with Rotary Buffer Only - Read the Directions

10. Likes MartyK liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

H Mike

A lot of these products like Black Fire range for example are not available in Aus. Do you stock them at all and if so would it be possible for a quote on shipping to Aus?

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12