autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

general question from novice

Hi guys.. appreciate any sage wisdom on this. Have a 19 Honda (metallic grey) and just want to make it look nicer. I used a nano skin clay sponge with McGuiars water less wash for lube. (as I had it and all reports were that worked well)..turned out great I thought as I had never "clayed" a car before.. waited a bit and put on a coat of beadmaker per their instructions. per all the press was expecting it to be so glossy I couldn't even look at.. seemed to add a bit more smoothness but in some areas it actually got cloudy (streaked) or looked uneven. Not matter how much I wiped could not fix it. your thoughts? is there an interaction between the two products? So your thoughts on how to fix this? I did this all by hand - no buffer. input is mucho appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: general question from novice

First off welcome young Skywalker. As far as press on BeadMaker.... it’s mostly people that really like it as a topper. To darn near perfectly polished paint, it adds gloss and slickness. It doesn’t offer a whole lot in the protection department. This part is a personal preference, I am in the camp of, I do not like to clay a vehicle unless I am machine polishing it. Honda paint is typically softer. I think that your car would really pop with a one step of Blackfire One step. I have gotten damn near perfect results with that product on Asian paints. Then top it with BeadMaker, and you will be happier. BeadMaker is a great drying aid after each wash

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Billy. thanks for the note! very appreciated... Can you use Blackfire by hand? Also why do you think its looks uneven or cloudy/streaky in some areas? Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

It is possible, but more effective by machine

Post Thanks / Like

The streaking is either too much/wrong towel... try again. Spray the towel first

Post Thanks / Like

Bead Maker can be streaky if you use too much. One or maybe two spritzes per panel is all that's needed.

And have a really plush, high GSM MF towel for final buffing.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Mike Phillips

If you really want to make your car look nice, take it to the next level.

Get a simple DA polisher, the Porter Cable is like the Son of BEAST. It's a tried and true tool that won't let you down.

Get a great one-step cleaner/wax. The 2 I think are the best on the market right now are either the BLACKFIRE One Step or the 3D Speed. 3D Speed can be purchased for about $20.00 for a 16 ounce bottle. If you buy the BF One Step by the quart, it breaks down to $20.00 for a 16 ounce bottle.

Get six 5.5" Lake Country orange foam FLAT pads.

Buff out your car. Buff the entire thing, leave either of these cleaner/waxes to dry as you move around the car.

Get a 12 pack of the Forrest Green Edgeless Towel. Wipe the wax off.

Stand back and admire the results.

Stand back and consider - you just did better work than the majority of dealership detailers and probably even most detailers in the industry.

It's not that hard to buff out a car as long as you use,

1. Great abrasive technology.
    2. A random orbital polisher.
    3. Quality foam pads.
    4. Good technique.

Then be prepared for your friends, neighbors, co-works, family, etc. to ask you,

How much to detail my car?

Then establish your exterior detail package at $495.00

Be the $500.00 Pro in your area.

8. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Watch this video. In it I show a traditional "Show Car" process, that is using

Dedicated compound
    Dedicated polish
    Dedicated finishing wax

You can eliminate all three of the above and just use one of the one-step cleaner/waxes I mentioned in the previous post.

It's really as simple as I explain in the video. What you need to do is learn how to do these things in about 5-6 hours. Then start early on a Saturday morning, (for your customer) and you're done around noon.

How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

This is my opinion is one of the best videos Yancy and I have ever made together and also one of the easiest to follow, understand and then implement the techniques video on the topic.

I coined the term Test Spot for this industry so I think I'm qualified to explain how do one as well as WHY to do one.

Test Spot - The story behind the story...