autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Best tire dressings?

Just to note

If you're going to use a tire COATING - the tires have to first be scrubbed SURGICALLY clean to remove all previously applied tire DRESSINGS or the coating won't make a proper bond.

My rule of thumb is - I won't put a tire coating on tires that have already had tire dressings applied.

As for dressing - I don't think like others. I want a WATER SOLUBLE tire dressing so I CAN WASH IT OFF and then I can re-apply it and the tire will look great.

Sovlent or oil based dressing are hard to wash off, that's also why the last a long time.

The problem is they won't LOOK GOOD A LONG TIME.

What looks best is a freshly dressed tire - so I want a tire dressing "I" can remove so then "I" can replace it so the tires look great.

Yeah - I'm not a fan of tire dressing unless they are water-based and easy to remove.

Check out Meguiar's M40

2. Thanks hoyt66, Prange thanked for this post
    Likes FrankS, Prange liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I coated my personal tires with McKee's 37 and I think it is spectacular. I took Mike's advice and waited until I purchased new tires to coat them. I'm going on 9 months (but that includes having them off my car during 3 1/2 months during the winter). They really look great.

And I agree, for my cars, I like a more semi-gloss, almost satin appearance on my tires.

But for customers, I find the wow factor comes with something glossier. I use Griot's Garage tire dressing, and I get lot's and lots of "WOWs!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just to note

What looks best is a freshly dressed tire - so I want a tire dressing "I" can remove so then "I" can replace it so the tires look great.

Yeah - I'm not a fan of tire dressing unless they are water-based and easy to remove.

Check out Meguiar's M40

I'm the opposite of you, as I hate scrubbing tires. I use a tire coating for that very reason.

5. Likes luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I'm the opposite of you, as I hate scrubbing tires. I use a tire coating for that very reason.
    I agree, but for different reasons.

I hate the tire dressings that are so weak you apply them in the evening, and after sitting outside all night a heavy dew or light rain rinses them off! It leaves the tires with a streaked or mottled appearance. I don't have the time to dress my tires every day or two to keep them looking good.

I found with the Duragloss product I recommended earlier, I could dress the tires and it would survive light rain and other moisture pretty well. It will fade over a couple weeks, but stays pretty even and doesn't streak or get blotchy like many I have used.

On a side note, I'm still playing around with PERL. Right now I'm leaning towards using it full strength, but recent conditions have turned my daily driver into a garage queen, so all testing is off.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

That’s funny, I’m looking to switch from PERL to Duragloss because of Duragloss’s ability to survive a light rain. I guess soon enough I’ll know which one I like better.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Always loved the Zaino dressing (I have a few drops left). Almost impossible to get over here in the uk without paying a ridiculous amount of money for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickyc View Post
    Always loved the Zaino dressing (I have a few drops left). Almost impossible to get over here in the uk without paying a ridiculous amount of money for it.
    IIRC their Z16 is a nice dressing, but I still prefer Tuff Shine.

Post Thanks / Like

I like McKee's 37 Tire Gel. It's not too glossy, doesn't sling much, and longevity is acceptable. My every day car gets washed every 7-10 days. It looks pretty good for that duration.
    -Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've never messed with tire coatings, but found Duragloss 253 to have the best longevity on tires than anything else I've tried.

One thing to keep in mind is every tire's rubber compound is a bit different, even in the same brand. You'll find one product works great on one tire and less favorably on another.
    I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

I do like Optimum's line of products, both the Opti-Bond Gel, and the Tire Shine. None of these types of dressings will last quite like a coating will, but the Optimum products seem like they do a very good job of "feeding" a tire.

13. Likes Powerman liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast