autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best tire dressings?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
    There seem to be a BA-ZILLION tire dressing
    products out there, and I think I have tried a
    lot of them.

Most of them seem to work cosmetically,
    but it's the longevity that is my issue.

I'm looking for long-lasting, car wash
    immune products. Any suggestions?
    •IMO:
    1.) No tire dressing will be totally immune
    to repetitive exposures to car washes.
    2.) However...
    Since Meguiar’s Endurance Tire Gel (G75)
    is highly water-resistant, it will most handily
    resolve your longevity issue. [How does around
    a month (with weekly washings) sound?]

Note:
    It is, initially, a little bit too shiny for me.
    Of course...YMMV.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone put Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel to the test, next to Griot's Long-Lasting Tire Dressing?
    If so, I'd like to hear your experience when it comes to longevity, especially during colder wet months.

I've surgically cleaned by tires per Mike's recommendation. Starting with Mothers Contoured Tire Brush (very stiff bristles), followed by a similar carpet brush. Fantastic results!

I applied Griot's Long-Lasting Tire Dressing. Gel adhered to the tire and left a clean gloss finish. Looked great! Next day, it rained. Visually, silicone film still present, gloss is completely gone. I expected at least to have satin-low gloss after a wet day, but this isn't a case. After all, Griot's advertises this product with best longevity, up to 12 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mpulsiv View Post
    Has anyone put Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel to the test, next to Griot's Long-Lasting Tire Dressing?
    If so, I'd like to hear your experience when it comes to longevity, especially during colder wet months.

I've surgically cleaned by tires per Mike's recommendation. Starting with Mothers Contoured Tire Brush (very stiff bristles), followed by a similar carpet brush. Fantastic results!

I applied Griot's Long-Lasting Tire Dressing. Gel adhered to the tire and left a clean gloss finish. Looked great! Next day, it rained. Visually, silicone film still present, gloss is completely gone. I expected at least to have satin-low gloss after a wet day, but this isn't a case. After all, Griot's advertises this product with best longevity, up to 12 weeks.

I don't see Tuf Shine on your list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I don't see Tuf Shine on your list.
    Per Mike's recommendation, don't apply Tuf Shine Clearcoat, unless your tire is brand new.

Post Thanks / Like

Per Mike's recommendation, don't apply Tuf Shine Clearcoat, unless your tire is brand new.
    I've done it many times on used tires. Needs to be super clean.

6. Likes luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It can be done but from experience I would only be cleaning the tire once a week for about a month before using any tire coating to make sure all of the tire dressing has leeched its way out.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars makes a tire coating but I don't know how good it is

Mike Phillips

The above is just my own personal practice. You can all do as you see best for your situation.

You can put a tire clear coat over non-new tires. If they have already had a tire DRESSING applied the key is to make sure you remove all of the tire dressing.

The best way to do this is repeated machine scrubbing.

How to machine scrub tires using the Cordless FLEX PE14

AND - if you really want to go nuts - machine scrub your tires and then put your car back on the road and drive the car for a week or so. Let the rubber sidewall out gas, dry-out, breath, etc.

Then - machine scrub again.

The idea is to get the rubber surgically clean before applying some brand of tire clearcoat.

Yancy and I show in DETAIL - how to machine scrub tires and apply tire clearcoats in Video #7 here,

Complete List of Live Broadcast Videos on YouTube - Yancy Martinez & Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

It can be done but from experience I would only be cleaning the tire once a week for about a month before using any tire coating to make sure all of the tire dressing has leeched its way out.

I didn't see this before posting my suggestion but I agree with you. If you've already applied a tire dressing and now want to switch over to a tire coating - machine scrub the crap out of your tires and then WAIT.

Put the car back on the road. Drive it. Let the tires go round and round. Allow any previously applied tire dressing to LEACH out. (great word Michael).

I've never had a tire coating fail on me, (because I super careful about this type of procedure), but I've read about other people having tire coating FLAKE off, or peel-off and what a HASSLE it is to remove 100% of the tire coating x 4 Tires.

So only coat brand new tires AFTER machine scrubbing the crap out of them to remove any mold release agent or coat tires that have had dressings applied but machine scrub the crap out of them and do this a few times OVER TIME and USE.

Best of luck to everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

First picture exhibits a perfect glossy finish. My expectation from Griot's Long-Lasting Tire Dressing to last at least half-life of advertised durability, up to 12 weeks.
    Second picture is the outcome of driving 1 day in the rain.
    Is this expected across other products as well?
    How does Meguiars Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel score in foul-weather? Is there a better gel-based product that will exhibit longevity during wet winter months?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast