autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Can you help How to remove mold from car interior

Just to add....

Back in the early 1980's I had this,

My 1959 Cadillac 4-Door Convertible Boat Puller

Here’s the 1959 Cadillac I cut the top off of and used to pull my drag boat to the lake and the races.

If you look carefully, you'll see this is a 4-door. Cadillac never made a 4-door convertible.... but I did. This was a 1959 Cadillac Flattop that was heading to the salvage yard. The salvage yard was going to yank the motor and transmission to resale and then CRUSH what was left.

It ran great but I didn't want a 4-door Flattop, back then I thought they looked ugly. I figured, if they're going to crush it, I can't make it any worse by cutting the top off? I paid $165.00 for it and drove it home. I still have the check today. I carefully marked the top for re-attaching before carefully cutting it off and in a couple of hours I had a 4-door Caddy Convertible. I would take the top off in May, usually about this time of year as I would always take my boat to Foster or Green Peter reservoirs for Memorial Day Weekend.

Usually in October, at the very end of summer in Oregon, I would re-attach the hardtop and drive this car all winter.

Before I bought this Cadillac it sat OUTSIDE in Tangent, Oregon where it RAINS A LOT - for 4 years with no windshield.

Read that again, it sat outside in the rain for 4 years with NO WINDSHIELD.

The inside of the car was covered in black mold and had what looked like, Lungwort Lichens growing on the sides of the seats.

The seats were originally black and white but for the most part were completely black with mold.

I pulled all the carpeting out and then scrubbed the seats and door panels with Comet, (with bleach), and a horse brush. Then hosed the car out.

Cleaned-up nice. I drove that car with those seats for 3-4 years an no more mold.

Where there's a will there's a way

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking to wipe off the surface mold, try diluted distilled white vinegar. And borax on the carpets once you finish help keep the mold down. And like the others said, use a couple pairs of gloves and a real respirator mask. These items are probably scarce though.

3. Likes Stephen McLachlan liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. I will do that. As you rightly say the reap masks are non existent at the minute so putting the job on hold until I can get at least a couple of masks and disposable coveralls. You just can't get anything at min. Stay safe and thank again.

Post Thanks / Like

Before you attempt to clean up your mold problem.. what caused it in the first place? If you don't stop the source, it's just coming back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12