autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Correcting Hard Clearcoat

Just wanted to add a bit of an update to this post, as I have ghosted myself. Work became quite busy and with pollen season happening I chose to take a bit of time off of detailing.

I did do the whole car with UC, UP, and then ULW. I have been boosting with D156 about once a month. The slickness of the waxes are gone, and so has some of the depth of shine. However, the water beading is still pretty tight, but I think that is moreso due to the clean and uncontaminated surface.

I did about 6-8 section passes as Mike outlined above and in the articles. This took out all of the swirls, but left some random isolated scratches all over the paint (I attribute this to being a DD that sits outside year-round, and has snow wiped off of it 15+ times per year). The RIDS are not particularly annoying and only show up in really bright light. Of course, the reason we detail is so that the car looks stunning especially in bright light, so I may have to attack these with a slightly more aggressive setup (right now only have ultimate compound with hex logic orange pads).

Here is where the paint sits today:
    Hood - all swirls gone, RIDS remain. Picture did not capture rids effectively, but it is obviously free of serious defects:

Front Quarter - same as hood, but it is easier to see the RIDS:

Passenger Rear Door - Swirling is noticeable here but I think it is due to my washing process. Was not careful with Rinseless wash, and I think the car may have been too dirty for rinseless the most recent wash I did.

Passenger Rear Quarter - swirling and RIDS visible.

My questions now:
    1. To get out the RIDS what would be the best combo to use. I feel like UC along with an orange pad should do the trick, or do I need to step it up?
    2. For the defects in the last two pics (swirls installed as part of washing), will meg's ultimate polish with hex logic orange or white take them out?

Thanks for all the tips!
    2006 330i Sport

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by leif20 View Post

Just wanted to add a bit of an update to this post, as I have ghosted myself.
    Thanks for updating. I always appreciate a follow-up.

I did about 6-8 section passes as Mike outlined above and in the articles. This took out all of the swirls,
    Sometimes all it takes is to tweak your technique just a tick.

but left some random isolated scratches all over the paint
    This is normal. When you buff out neglected paint the first thing you do is remove all the SHALLOW paint defects and then all the DEEPER defects show up like a Sore Thumb.

My article on this topic,

RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term...

My questions now:

1. To get out the RIDS what would be the best combo to use. I feel like UC along with an orange pad should do the trick, or do I need to step it up?
    Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is a quality product. If the orange foam pad don't get it you can SLOW down your arm speed and make more passes or get a microfiber pad. MF pads don't normally "feel" smooth or good on gear-driven orbitals but you can fight through it.

Be sure to read these two articles too and if this is a DAILY DRIVER - not a SHOW CAR - tread carefully versus going to far...

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

When to stop buffing - Or - How far should you go to remove swirls and scratches?

2. For the defects in the last two pics (swirls installed as part of washing), will meg's ultimate polish with hex logic orange or white take them out?

Thanks for all the tips!
    I'd jump right to the UC.

Again, thanks for the follow-up.

Post Thanks / Like

Where abouts are you in Toronto? I'm in Toronto as well. Ultimate Compound isn't that aggressive, specially not on a BMW paint.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

I am in Richmond Hill. How about you?

Thanks for the suggestions. I will do another treatment with UC some time in the next month or two, when I have the time. Of course I'll be keeping in mind that clearcoats are thin!
    2006 330i Sport

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Vaughan. BMW clearcoat is relatively hard so that maybe the issue.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12