autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Protectant for exterior vinyl?

As I said in my last thread, I am detailing a 2015 BMW 650i convertible. If you are familiar with those cars, the rear of the convertible top sits on a rather large platform of pebble grain black vinyl - at least I assume it's vinyl, it's not really soft like an interior door panel. Much of it is exposed even with the top up. What would be a good long lasting protectant for that? I thought maybe Gtechniq C4 trim restorer/protectant, but am open to better ideas. Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Re: Protectant for exterior vinyl?

The hero brand for vinyl is 303 Aerospace Protectant.

You might look at SONAX Polymer Net Shield too... the only thing I've found that SONAX PNS doesn't work on is rubber as in tires. Been there, tried that. I'd put that stuff on dang near everything.

SONAX Polymer Net Shield - Closest thing to a coating without being a coating

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many good products. I’m not familiar with Ctechniq C4. The combo I settled on long ago is Chemical Guys Fade to Black ( I need to call Chemical Guys to see if their product called Black to Black is the same b/c can’t find Fade to Black) followed later by an application of Black Wow. Fade to Black is a spray that can cover large areas in a short time. It is usually good as a stand alone. The last thing I do is go over it with Black Wow. It goes on like butter over the F2B. Never disappointed.

Mike Phillips

Also....

While 303 Aerospace is mostly known for the vinyl category and RaggTopp is mostly known for the canvas category, they BOTH makes great products for both types of surfaces.

Here are 2 recent reviews I did, in the last few weeks, anything I touched with these products came out professional quality.

How to use 303 Aerospace Protectant to Restore Vinyl Seats by Mike Phillips

Review: Machine applying RaggTopp Vinyl Cleaner and Protectant - 1967 Camaro Convertible

Before

After

Like most things, the end-results are dependent upon the prep work.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 303, and use it on door panels and dash, but I have had the impression it does not last for exterior use - that it is gone after a wash or a rain or two. No? Maybe I'll try the Sonax stuff. I'm not interested in any of the back to black type products because any I have used are either temporary or have dye in them. I don't need that - the vinyl is in new condition, I just want to keep it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant works well for exterior plastic, vinyl, etc. It last for several months on my daily drivers parked outside 24/7.

7. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant.

Before

After
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

Tac systems moonlight is great for exterior trim and last longer than most protectants.

That being said the are not doing business in the US right now so would have to order across the pond.

Cancoat i’ve also read good reviews on exterior trim. 6-12 months durability on both.

And most sio2 sealants do a great job on trim too. I personally like Shine supply Clutch these will give you 3-6 months.

If your going to coat the car why not just add a full fledge trim coating?

Carpros DLUX will give you solid protection and you can use on your wheels.

Hopefully here soon i’ll be coating interior and also exterior trim. If soon enough i’ll add pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a photo of the actual area to give us a better idea of the material? I looked online and it looks like plastic trim but a photo would really help. Tapatalk is your friend for posting photos.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Tapatalk is your friend for posting photos.
    Agree. The links to get it are in my article here,

The easy way to share a picture on a forum - Tapatalk App for your cell phone

As a person that shares a LOT of pictures in the forum world using the best way, which is to upload pictures to a gallery so the pictures have an actual cyber home with an actual cyber address, I completely understand that the majority of people don't know how to do this and don't have the patience or wherewithal to figure it out.

So with that said, here's the easy way, simply get the TapaTalk App on your phone. Links below for the type of phone you have.

Link for TapaTalk for iPhone

Link for TapaTalk from Google Play

I don't have a tutorial on how to then use the App but I figure it out and if I can do it - most of you should be able to look at the interface and with a little experimenting - figure it out.