autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic paint coatings care and Tree Sap!

Hello,

I just bought the wife her dream car a Macan. The car came with a Ceramic paint coating that is very hydrophobic. How do I care for this without damaging the coating? How long will it last; normally? And;, ... my big question is. I normally park in front of my house; no option. However there is a tree that drips, very small droplets of sap. These are smaller than pin head size; but hard enough to remove.

What do I do; firstly to remove this sap; it is hard to see. Secondly to keep the Ceramic coating?

Thanks Chris

Mike Phillips

Re: Ceramic paint coatings care and Tree Sap!

Great questions, and welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I'm going to start with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbster09 View Post

I normally park in front of my house; no option.

However there is a tree that drips, very small droplets of sap. These are smaller than pin head size; but hard enough to remove.
    This is going to be your own going problem.

If you cannot park away from the tree and you cannot remove the tree, then tree sap is going to be a problem you either learn to live with or you're going to have to implement a frequent washing regimen. No other way around it.

Well there is one other way but it's not going to work well over time and that is to use a car cover. It takes a very passion and energetic person to put a car cover on a SUV day-in, day-out and then it's going to get sap on it and the only way to wash it is in a commercial washing machine. So the car cover option gets complicated, time-consuming and dirty.

How did you take care of the tree sap issue on the car BEFORE the Porsche Macan?

Mike Phillips

And to address your other questions

What do I do; firstly to remove this sap; it is hard to see.

I guess I need to write an article on this as I post this same info all the time.

Here's the deal,

Tree sap, or more generally plant sap, is all different.

Some plant sap will dissolve and wash off our car when you wash your car with soap and water.

Some plant sap will not dissolve and wash of your car when you wash your car with soap and water.

Water is a universal solvent, for example, it will DISSOLVE or break-down dirt. I know most people don't think of it as a solvent because it's not nasty or dangerous like the solvent's were all aware of, but it is a type of solvent nonetheless.

Here's what you need to do...

Get a quality car wash soap and a clean, quality wash mitt and wet the car first with lots of water, then wash half of the hood. Dry the entire hood and inspect. Compare the half you washed with the half you didn't wash.

Are the tree sap droplets removed?

If yes - Then removing built-up tree sap on your car is as simple as washing often - and washing CAREFULLY.

If no - Then you have a problem.

To deal with the ongoing tree sap problem, you're going to have to purchase a Tree Sap Remover and use it on all the horizontal surfaces before you wash your car to chemically dissolve and remove the tree sap.
    (Cutting the tree down is starting to sound pretty good about now huh?)

After chemically removing the tree sap, now carefully wash the car. See my answer below.

Secondly to keep the Ceramic coating?

How to safely wash a ceramic coated car by Mike Phillips - Traditional Hose & Bucket Approach

Which I had better info for you but I don't. I think it's cool you bought our wife a very cool SUV - I hope it's silver or grey metallic.

4. Likes kevinkunkle, Thomkirby, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's tar remover options....

LOTS of options. Heck I didn't know we carried so many tar removers until you posted your question and then I thought I would share with you a few options. When I typed

Tar

Into the Autogeek.com search box, here's what it brought up, in the order it brought it up, so I'm not listing them in any order, it's just the order the search engine delivered.

CarPro Tar X Tar & Adhesive Remover 500 ml - $15.99

GYEON Tar 500 ml - $17.99

Optimum T.A.R. Remover 17 ounces - $24.99

DP Tar & Adhesive Remover 16 ounces - $13.99

IGL Ecoclean Tar 16.9 ounces - $29.99

GTechniq W7 Tar and Glue Remover 500 ml - $11.99

Meguiar’s Heavy Duty Bug & Tar Remover 15 ounce aerosol - $6.99

Mothers Speed Foaming Bug & Tar Remover 18 ounce aerosol - $6.99

Wowo’s Tar and Glue Remover 16.9 ounces - $8.99

Stoner Tarminator Tar & Sap Remover 10 ounce aerosol - $5.99

3D Gum-Tar Remover - 1 gallon - $34.50

CarPro TRIX Tar and Iron Remover 1 Liter - $26.99

Nextzett Anti-Insekt Bug + Tar Remover 16.9 ounces - $9.99

CarPro TRIX Tar and Iron Remover 500 ml - $15.99

Duragloss Bug Remover (BR) #471 22 ounce - $7.99

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner 12 oz. - 38983 12 ounces aerosol - $14.50

Nextzett Industrie-Reiniger Industrial Cleaner 33.8 ounces or 1000ml - $19.99

3D Orange 88 Citrus Degreaser 24 ounces - $5.99

3D Orange 88 Citrus Degreaser 1 gallon - $22.99

Chemical Guys All Clean+ Citrus Based APC 16 ounces - $8.99

Dodo Juice Basics of Bling Detailing Spray 500 ml - $15.99

GYEON Bug & Grime – 400 ml - $11.99

Mötsenböcker’s Lift Off from Stoner—Sticker, Tape, and Adhesive Remover 16 ounce - $7.99

Stoner Xenit Foaming Cleaner 13 ounce aerosol - $5.99

Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System 22 ounces - $37.99

Wurth Clean Prep 15.7 ounce aerosol - $14.99

American Detailer Garage F Bomb Multi Purpose Cleaner Concentrate 32 ounces - $19.99

Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner 17 oz - $11.99

Optimum Power Clean 1 gallon - $35.99

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Cleaner & Remover 10 ounce aerosol - $5.99

Poorboy's World Bug Squash 16 oz - $11.99

Wow!

6. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been down this road with my F150 truck ( it is not a Macan, my CaymanS stays in the garage or driveway away from the SAP).

Many folks here will disagree, but my only solution was to cut many of the branches on the side if the tree that overhang over my driveway ( it does make the tree unhealthy but it is my neighbors tree n he is not removing it, maybe a slow death for the tree, oops).

In addition I had to go truck cover n my wife helps me with it. . It is a battle you will not win constantly removing the sap
    (others will disagree,but this has been a real life situation, get a good cover and will have minimal marring and in 3 years toss it and get a new on)

2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post

I have been down this road with my F150 truck ( it is not a Macan, my CaymanS stays in the garage or driveway away from the SAP).

Thanks for chiming in and sharing.

I feel vindicated.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with tree sap comes from the various hardwood trees in my region. If you have any trees overhanging or even upwind then the sap will find you vehicles. Oak trees always emit fine particles and most will wash off with a regular wash with soap. I know my truck had the same issue when I parked near some trees at a shopping center. Paint surfaces and windshield would have some micro dots that you could see and feel after sitting all day in the heat.

Good listing from Mike showing all the chemicals that can help if just water and soap do not remove it.

So just accept that something will find it's way onto that beautiful car, it is going to take some TLC to keep it at it's best for the years to come.

Post Thanks / Like

MOVE and get a garage.

11. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. The Audi S4 Avant; my car gets the garage. The wife hates putting the Macan, its a Turbo in the garage. I have a good pressure washer and use snow foam w a good result. My issue is the "nice" Ceramic coating that was dealer installed. I am thinking any major "paint" correction will just cut right through this. I have used Carpro Tar X and it works well. I just wanted a little advice.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

don't waste your time with Tarminator. It doesn't even work on "tar".

I had lots of pine sap, ate through the paint on my old car. Cut down the tree. 2 yrs later the oak tree behind where the Pine tree was dropped a branch across the roof of the car.

Full strength IPA will dissolve the Pine sap. I cut blue paper towels into fours. Use 1 or 2 new pieces for each pine splat.

White Pines suck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast